Dish for RV

JanAndBill

I guess to each his own, but we had Direct for 6 years, during which time we had crappy service, and they kept jacking the price up. We only stayed with them because we kept thinking we were going to have cable available anytime. When we finally gave up on the cable, we went with Dish. Couldn't be happier with them. We're out of the introductory period and we're still $30 a month less then Direct. Plus we've got HD and more channels in our package.

AAdams

From what I found when I researched this I also wanted HD. This is what I found in the research;

1. DirecTV
A. can only receive standard definition on any carryout I found.
B. can receive HD with the an antenna like the Winegard SK-SWM3 roof mount

2. Dish
A. Has a pay as you go plan - No fee to start/stop service
B. Can get HD and Standard definition with Carry out antennas
C. Can add LIMITED* DVR functions for 1 time set up fee of $40 and no monthly fee

3. Antennas
A. Carry-Out automatic
1) Tailgater -
a) Can receive one channel only
b) Does not have to be perfect level
2) Flex
a) Can receive 2 channels on same satellite
b) Does not have to be perfectly level
3) Pathway G2
b) Can be roof mounted with optional adapter
c) Needs to have power run to antenna 12v
4) Pathway X2
b) No external power needed
c) needs to be near level

We did have DirecTv before switching to Dish.

Since I wanted the ability to watch TV on 2 TV's and they may be on separate Satellites I opted for the third option of a house antenna on a tripod. I have the Dish 500 system and a Winegard Tripod.
Hope this helps.

* Limited DVR - I do not have this feature - You need to purchase a DVR compatible hard drive separately. From what I have gathered it can only record what the receiver is on, can pause live TV. Can not record a separate channel while you watch a different channel.

Last edited:

Harry1

If you want the functionality of a DVR you can purchase any external hard drive from stores like Staples/Office Max etc. Cost about $70 for a 1 terabyte hard drive. (you don't need one that big but you can record a lot of programs and in HD) It is a very simple hookup on the back of your receiver. You pay a one time activation charge of $40 through Dish. Your hard drive will work like any DVR and you'll have access to setup auto recording times and setup favorite shows to record every week/month/whatever. You do not have to be there watching TV to record. The receiver and tv can be off but plugged in. You can record any satellite channel your subscribed for and watch a different local channel using your roof top antenna/booster at the same time. You cannot record a satellite channel while watching another satellite channel. We use the Dish receiver VIP211K. This receiver allows you to run a coax in for your satellite and a coax in for your over the air roof top antenna. There is a standard USB plug in on the back side for your hard drive if you elect to purchase one. Hope this helps..