Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort

Jellystone

We just returned from Fort Wilderness at Walt Disney World after a 10 day stay. While there I saw several Heartland units-(3 Sundance,2 North Trails,1 Big Horn,1 Cyclone & 1 Landmark). This was our 4th visit to "The Fort" in the last 6 years and it gets better everytime. Each stay reminds me why it is the #1 rated campground in America (nobody can compete with Disney's attention to detail and customer service for your entertainment dollar). Our site was perfect for the Road Warrior. Plenty of space for the 5th wheel,duallie,our golf cart,picnic table,2 BBQ grills,patio chairs and our other "junk". Fun for all ages, kids to seniors.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We haven't been there yet but have lots of fellow campers who have and have tried to get us to go. Now that the grandson is here, it looks like its a must do trip. Some have told us that they don't even leave the campground cuz there is so much to do there. Can't wait.
B--

Jellystone

While we were there,my wife and kids did 1/2 days at the theme parks each day (I did 2 half days) and we spent the remainder of the days doing activities around "The Fort" & hanging out at the camper. Yes,you could stay there the entire time and still have a great Disney vacation. We are planning another trip in the fall (Thanksgiving week) and plan to stay at Fort Wilderness the entire time.
We haven't been there yet but have lots of fellow campers who have and have tried to get us to go. Now that the grandson is here, it looks like its a must do trip. Some have told us that they don't even leave the campground cuz there is so much to do there. Can't wait.
B--

Luvamoose

As much as we love staying at Disney's Polynesian Resort, we are very excited to think of being able to stay at The Fort and be able to come "Home" after a long day at the parks :) It's one of the first trips we'll take with our fifth wheel someday, but we'll start a little closer to home ;)

charlie51

How is it as far as cost? I was curious what the sites go for and if they charge you any of those hidden fees like some places. My kids are dying to go to Disney, but it will be at least next year before we can make it back, and I would like to stay in the campground when we go if the price justifies it.

Jellystone

Luvamoose, as far as cost goes,the Premium sites in the summer are around $105 a night & that includes a level concrete pad (60' x 27' roughly) with water,electricity,sewer,cable,nice picnic table & charcoal grill. The premium sites are the most expensive and it goes down in price to Prefered or Partial hook up sites. When compared to other on site Disney resorts, that is actually cheap and you have plenty of privacy since each site is "secluded" with small bushes and trees around them. The "free" campground activities justify the price even further (campfire singalong each night,fireworks show & water pageant at the resort beach each night,hiking trails,2 heated swimming pools-1 with waterslide,petting zoo,Stables to tour with the famous horses of Disney World, etc.-all free with campsite). Free transportation to all theme parks is a perk to. Trash is picked up about 5 times a day within a 30 second walk from every campsite. It's a MUST DO to visit Fort Wilderness if you truly enjoy RV vacations.
How is it as far as cost? I was curious what the sites go for and if they charge you any of those hidden fees like some places. My kids are dying to go to Disney, but it will be at least next year before we can make it back, and I would like to stay in the campground when we go if the price justifies it.

BozRazor

Hey,
I was there too, over in the 200 loop. We were there from Sat the 5 thru Sat the 12 in our Razor. I also noticed alot of heartlands around, seems the toyhaulers are really getting popular. This is our second year camping at the fort and by far it is the best campground!!!
We really like the 200 loop because of the proximity to the marina and ease of getting to the parks, it also has alot of shade. We saw alot of wildlife this time as well, we had 2 baby armadillos that lived next door and we watched them feed throughout our stay. And we frequently saw couple of rabbits and squirrels and an owl.

Jim-n-Leslie

This is a great post, as well as others' replies. My wife and I are heading down this Saturday with our two older kids for a week at Fort Wilderness in our BH. It's good to hear there is much there to do. We will be visiting Disney as well as Universal Studios. We are all going to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios. I can't wait to stand in line for 6-8 hours for that. :p

Wharton

I guess from the conversation taht WDW has increased the size of their sites in the last 10 years. We were there in 2001 with a 34' and an MDT. Barely fit into the site and we were told we had a "large" site. Haven't been back since for many reasons but am ready to go again. However, we now have a 38' with the MDT and were sondering about the sites....................

Elevatorman

I too am glad to hear the park re-did the sites. My last camping trip there was 25 yrs. ago in a SOB MH. Like Wharton said, they were tight! I can't wait to take the grand daughter this Oct. I hear Halloween is a fun time there! From what I understand, if you tell them your rig size they will do their best to fit you to a proper size site, all though, I remember the roads being somewhat tight though. I've reserved a "premium" site, but I don't hold much hope on being close to the docks. Guess we'll get a golf cart so to conserve our energy after chasing her around Disney all day!!
Here is a great site for answers about "The Fort" for anyone thinking about going too!
http://home.hiwaay.net/~jlspence/faq_fw.htm

debh

jellystone, that sounds WONDERFUL!! ive been looking into this for a few years. i now have 2 grandsons. both dec babies. i try, each year, to do something special for their bdays. for the up coming 2 & 4 bday i have a cruise planned. for the next bday season but have disney in my sights for jan 2012. OMG that sounds soooo far away!!! this will put them at 3 & 5. PERFECT age! (any more grandkids that come along had BETTER be born in dec!!)

how far in advance do you need to book a fort vacation? a friend of ours booked one and when he got there his booking was lost!! that was very "un"disney-like!! he had reserved a premium site and ended up with the preferred!

Elevatorman

debh- From what I understand reservations should be made 6mos. in advance. I got lucky I guess, and called them 2wks ago. But them again that's 5mos. Maybe the economy is holding some folks back. I pray they don't loose my res. I've been hearing that the new changes in sites have made most of the "premium and preferred" sites close to the same size. I think location is the difference.