DIY trade in appraisal?

TonyB

Local dealer told me I must do my own trade-in appraisal. Said he would give me an appraisal form to fill out if I decide to purchase a new travel trailer. He looked up the NADA retail price of my trade-in, but said they would not appraise it themselves, but leave that up to me. Something doesn't seem right. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've done this for the E-bay purchase of my current truck. The Houston dealer sent me a form to fill out. I returned the form via E-mail and he returned his offer for my trade in. I was pleased with the offer. The conditions were that once I arrived for the transaction, either party had the option to back out if either were not happy with anything.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
When we traded our NorthTrail in on the ElkRidge, we were dealing at an RV show. The sales rep asked me a series of questions about our coach... Things like: has it been smoked in, pets, had any damage, delamination, are appliances working, any water leaks, condition of tires, any upgrades, etc.

Then they gave us a trade-in value, sight unseen. When we went to the dealer a few days later to do our PDI on the new rig and sign the papers, they did a walk-around our trailer and looked inside, but did not do an extensive evaluation. The value already agreed upon wasn't changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garypowell

Same thing happened to us. It was a series of 20 questions at the dealership as our rig was 30 miles away. I think it is Bourne out of the fact that no one wants to drag their unit to a bunch of dealerships. Some could be hundreds of miles away. In fact we have never bought a rig at our local dealership.

The other thing is people are usually harder on themselves than the truth. When I had employees (back in the good days) I would give my employees the same form I was going to fill out and ask them to bring it to the meeting in a week. Almost always I had the joy of "talking them up" to a better grade.

And then there is the fact that if you have lied......they change the deal.

jayc

Legendary Member
When I bought my present truck, I printed up the appraisal form that was furnished on the dealers website. Then when they offered me a much lower price than their own website had, they raised their offer to match. I was very pleased to see that.

I'm in the process of trading my Trailer for a Heartland. They asked me several questions about the condition of my trailer. They gave me a value sight unseen.

danemayer

I'm in the process of trading my Trailer for a Heartland. They asked me several questions about the condition of my trailer. They gave me a value sight unseen.

Hi aztrailerguy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and thanks for sharing.

oscar

Yup same here.... 20 questions and when I arrived they looked at it and I said:"Is it as I represented?" And they said "Yup." Done deal.

ICamel

When we bought our new Elkridge two years ago, I told the dealer that I would pay "X" for the 5'r and wanted "Y" for the trade-in. I told them that if they would not give me "Y" then they would have to take the difference off the price for "X". Told them that I didn't really care how they did it, just that it came up to the same end price. They figured out how to do it.