Do I Need New Wheels with Tire Upgrade?

GregP

After reading numerous posts on this forum and other about the Towmax tires, I am replacing all five of the Towmax on my Bighorn with Sailun S637. The Towmax were rated for 80psi max, while the Sailuns are rated at 110psi max. I checked the wheels on the trailer, and the wheels from the factory are stamped on the inside with "110psi Max". Should I replace these wheels with ones rated for a higher psi (i.e.: 125b) or are the existing wheels more than up to the job? I am one of the luckier ones with regard to the Towmax, as I have had no issues with the tires since purchase and have about 20,000 miles on them now.

avvidclif

The factory rims should be fine. I run mine at 105lbs for whatever reason and have no problems.

TireHobby

Depends, most owners will just go with the OE rim marked for 110 psi not thinking about the rim size. If the OE rim is a standard 16x6 it should be changed to 16x6.5 because that's the minimum rim width for the S637 tire. It boils down to a personal decision. The tire manufacturer has listed the tire as safe on rim widths 6.5" - 8.0".

donr827

You might call HL customer size and ask for the brand manager for Bighorn. Since they use the Salium tires you might ask them if the rim you have 16x6 would be ok on the salium tires. I ask the same question to a Goodyear commercial tire manager. I had 6" rims on the trailer and the Goodyear Ribs were 6.5". He said there would be no problems. This was probably 10 years ago so things might have changed.
Don

GregP

Thanks for the replies to my question. My trailer is in storage for the winter, so there is no rush to change out the wheels, but I am going to get disk brakes installed next year and thought that I would upgrade the tires beforehand. If I can re-use the existing wheels, that would save a couple of bucks, but if I have to buy new ones, I might be able to sell off the Towmax tires on rims as a package to help defray the cost. Without the rims, the rubber might just be good for dock bumpers. I crawled under the unit to get the pressure rating off the inner spoke, but did not notice the rim width. Is that also stamped on interior side?

jnbhobe

Your rims will be 6 inches wide there's no need to change wheels when going to Sailuns

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I have the GY G614's on the 6" wheels and have never had an issue. If your wheels are rated a 110#...go for it.

pjberny5

After reading numerous posts on this forum and other about the Towmax tires, I am replacing all five of the Towmax on my Bighorn with Sailun S637. The Towmax were rated for 80psi max, while the Sailuns are rated at 110psi max. I checked the wheels on the trailer, and the wheels from the factory are stamped on the inside with "110psi Max". Should I replace these wheels with ones rated for a higher psi (i.e.: 125b) or are the existing wheels more than up to the job? I am one of the luckier ones with regard to the Towmax, as I have had no issues with the tires since purchase and have about 20,000 miles on them now.

Replaced all my Towmax tires including the spare for the Sailuns on my 3260. Kept the same rims and just finished a 12000 mile 4 month trip thru the Dakotas and the northwest. Set the PSI at 100lbs. FYI. No issues. I do check the pressure and lug torque before each move. 3 of the towmax had numerous golfball sized bubbles on the inside sidewall. Tire guy said I was lucky and that i had 3 tires that were ready to blow at any time.