Do You Tie Down Your Awning

Greengas

I was wondering, at the RV parks we go to I see lots of rigs with their awnings extended and tied down. There are times that we are at the same park for a week or two and it would be nice to just leave the awning out and not worry about it. But, worry I do so its out when we need it and in when we leave, or when there is a hint of wind, etc. So, do any of you leave your awning out and tie it down? If so, how do you do it? What are things to watch out for when doing it (other than tripping on the rope)? How big a gust of wind do they withstand if they are tied down?

As far as the tracks in the awning roller, do you ever put something in the track, like a light strip, and then just leave it in there when you roll it up or do you always take it out?

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance. I love this forum!

pegmikef

Do I tie down my awning? Depending on wind conditions, I tie it down in no to low wind conditions. High or gusty winds I put it up.

What do I use? At each end outside of the awning itself I use adjustable cargo straps, bungy cords, and tent stakes. I wrap one end of the cargo strap around the tube and hook it to itself. I drive the tent stake into the ground about a half a foot from the front of the awning and then wrap the bungy cord around the stake and hook both ends of the cord to the hook on the other end of the cargo strap. I then adjust the strap so that there is just slight tension on the bungy cord.

Do I leave lights in the groove when I close the awning? No, but I have some small cloth hangers that slide into the groove that I do leave installed when I close the awning.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Better safe than sorry . . .

I have an awning tie-down setup purchased from Camping World . . . but I haven't used it yet.

That being said . . . better to roll it up if you are leaving the campground as you never know when a strong wind will blow through.

Most especially here in Colorado!

Over the July 4th. weekend while up at St. Vrain State Park, the park ranger came around in the afternoon and warned everyone of a strong wind warning that had just come over the radio.

We rolled up the awning as that side of the trailer was already in the shade . . . and never did see the strong wind.

Until later that evening after dark when a microburst out of nowhere blew trough the park at trashed a bunch of awnings and slide-out covers around us.

We were watching a movie inside and it shook the trailer like an earthquake!

That wind was strong enough to blow a large cooler full of ice (and beer) out from under our trailer to about 15 feet away from the trailer.

By the way . . . we still need to get together for dinner or something . . . drop me a PM!

MTPockets

Re: Better safe than sorry . . .

While hosting last year at Rifle Gap State Park, Rifle, CO, we saw a tied down awning get ripped during their frequent afternoon winds. We've learned to just roll it up when gone and never tie it down so we can roll up in a hurry if needed. (It happens)

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Re: Better safe than sorry . . .

Yes - we tie down our awnings when staying for several days or more. We are very mindful of the weather tho, especially when bad weather is forecasted. In those cases and we know we aren't going to be at the camper then we bring them in.
Edisto Beach 9-'11.jpg

Miltp920

Are we talking about tying down electric awnings? I know people with manual awnings tie the down but they have more crossmembers. My electric awning jumps around in the smallest wind. I sure would not want to put much tension on an electric awning. I think they are mostly designed for shade and light-light rain.

Sumo

The nice thing about an electric awning, its easy to extend and retract. I do have a shade cloth that rolls up in the electric awning. Haven't had any problems to date.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Not really a tie down, but I use light weight bungee cords to hold the patio shade in place. Don't have a problem with high winds around here unless there's a storm in the area. We're usually at the rig during those and I monitor the awning movement. Think I've only had to pull it in a couple times. It's rare to see my flag pole bending like yours.

JanAndBill

Yes - the electric awning too.View attachment 30782

Byrd, maybe the reason you and Nathan have to tie down, are those big orange and white flags, we have red and white ones which don't seem to draw as much air ;) Unfortunately, we'll be in Branson this year, during the Bama/Tn game. Would have been a good time to be in Pigeon Forge, with our rival friends.

We have tied down our awning in the past without incident, however my preference is to pull it in. Couple of weeks ago, in Tennessee, I pulled ours in prior to the arrival of a nasty little storm. We had winds strong enough to rock our trailer pretty good. When I looked out I saw several motor homes and other trailers with awnings out that were raising up over the top of the roof in some cases. Granted they didn't have them tied down, but still that is a lot of surface area to catch the wind.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
OK JanandBill - what can I say but GO VOLS!!!

miltp920 - The awning's sun shades are from ShadePro, Inc. They do go into the awning roller bar slot which we take out before pulling in the awning. You can get them in several height which we like a little shorter from the ground because we like to get some air from underneath. The length is according to the awning roller bar. They do have a half shade that detaches that you can leave on the roller while it's closed. We ordered one for the big awning but after getting it decided not to leave it on while closed, just don't like the zipper.