Bedroom slide leaks when it rains

Our 2017 Big Country 5th Wheel leaks when it rains. How in the world do you replace the seal around the slide out without taking the whole slide right out of the trailer? We have tried replacing the seal and it still leaks. We caulked the window, so that is not the issue. HELP!

Do you have the one with the cables? Ours leaks at the cables, but only one side. I put pool noodles over the cables and that stops water from getting in.

Gary521

You did not say where the water is coming in at. Check the top where the roof cover meets the inside fascia as It is not sealed there.

Bogie

I had a similar leak in the corner of my bedroom slide (Schwintek). Turned out to be a small plastic drain cup at the bottom corner of the slide that wasn't sealed properly. I re-caulked the cup. No more leak. Not saying this is your problem, but it is something you can check.

Prace

Our 2017 Big Country 5th Wheel leaks when it rains. How in the world do you replace the seal around the slide out without taking the whole slide right out of the trailer? We have tried replacing the seal and it still leaks. We caulked the window, so that is not the issue. HELP!
I had the same problem on my 2016 Heartland 365 living room slide. Determined that the slide being so long14’ the roof was bowed in the middle and water would run off the slide toppers which were to short. Water would run to the middle of the slide and run to the inside where seals are located then drip to inside. Fixed with a steel clothes pole and a jack screw and round cutting board as a end table, jacked up the center 1/2” and problem solved.The kitchen slide has 2 supports floor to ceiling and not as deep. I feel that’s why one side leaks and one doesn’t. Good luck

RoadJunkie

Prace: Your concept is sound, however it is not necessary to permanently attach the pole. Behind the facia is a header and the ceiling needs to be reset along with the header. If one removes the facia and the screws that attach the header, a lift mechanism, similar to your pole, can move the header up. Once this is done you can re attach the header, using the screws you removed, I had to do this on my coach, also a 2017. Again, this process basically resets the header to a higher position. If anyone is interested they can search my posts, I believe I added pictures. Oh, this was the process recommended by H.

Routemaster

Prace: Your concept is sound, however it is not necessary to permanently attach the pole. Behind the facia is a header and the ceiling needs to be reset along with the header. If one removes the facia and the screws that attach the header, a lift mechanism, similar to your pole, can move the header up. Once this is done you can re attach the header, using the screws you removed, I had to do this on my coach, also a 2017. Again, this process basically resets the header to a higher position. If anyone is interested they can search my posts, I believe I added pictures. Oh, this was the process recommended by H.
RoadJunkie What is the preloaded amount to move the ceiling up above the parallel plain? I have mine as well drooping a .700". Do you think I may when I tackle this the header may need to be turned over because of the bow in the header?

Attachments

• .7 gap at door.JPG
    .7 gap at door.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Bubble in the center.JPG
    Bubble in the center.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Center of slide.JPG
    Center of slide.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Level.JPG
    Level.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 9

RoadJunkie

In my case, I didn't worry about removing the "V" dip out of the facia, I only wanted to raise the ceiling to avoid the dip. My 2017 looked a lot like yours as far as the facia. By the way, I know of several people that have had to perform this process. I would consider flipping the header to assure the crown is oriented in the up position. The header will come off easily, once you get started from the end. When jacking up the ceiling, you will need to go a bit beyond what you think is adequate as there will be some residual sagging as you relieve the upward expansion.

HERE is the link to pics of my lifting process. You will have to scroll down to find my post.

This is an email I received from H regarding the process:

Cody Hockenberry <Cody.Hockenberry@heartlandrvs.com>

You
Good Morning,

I have just herd back from our engineering depart on a repair solution for your sagging roof. I will copy and paste their response in yellow. I hope this information helps aid you in your repair.

Remove top facia and backer board, place a “T” stick in the middle of the room pushing ceiling up to where it is past level. Leave “T” stand in and replace backer board screwing board every 8”-10”. This should lock roof in.

Thank you,

Cody Hockenberry

Heartland RV
P: 844.915.7950
F: 574.206.0910

Last edited:

RoadJunkie

You
Good Morning,

I have just herd back from our engineering depart on a repair solution for your sagging roof. I will copy and paste their response in yellow. I hope this information helps aid you in your repair.

Remove top facia and backer board, place a “T” stick in the middle of the room pushing ceiling up to where it is past level. Leave “T” stand in and replace backer board screwing board every 8”-10”. This should lock roof in.

Thank you,

Cody Hockenberry

Heartland RV
In my case, I didn't worry about removing the "V" dip out of the facia, I only wanted to raise the ceiling to avoid the dip. My 2017 looked a lot like yours as far as the facia. By the way, I know of several people that have had to perform this process. I would consider flipping the header to assure the crown is oriented in the up position. The header will come off easily, once you get started from the end. When jacking up the ceiling, you will need to go a bit beyond what you think is adequate as there will be some residual sagging as you relieve the upward expansion.

HERE is the link to pics of my lifting process. You will have to scroll down to find my post.

This is an email I received from H regarding the process:

You
Good Morning,

Thank you,

Cody Hockenberry

Heartland RV

Just tried this email and it bounced!!
The email is at least 5 years old.