Dodge Ram 3500 Question

Hunter920

Has anyone put a CM flatbed on their truck(s) and still had a 5er hitch added? I'm curious to see it if possible or get your thoughts on it. I currently have '12 3500 Ram and am thinking of putting a flat bed on the truck, but its got me questioning the 5er hitch.... Any input appreciated.

DW_Gray

No matter which model you choose, ensure that it will meet your needs by checking the realistic towing capacity with RV Tow Check. Rear end gear ratio, gross vehicle weight (GVW) and DRW vs. SRW make a difference in towing capacity. Don't be fooled by the manufacturer's published towing capacity because it does not include your personal setup.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
No matter which model you choose, ensure that it will meet your needs by checking the realistic towing capacity with RV Tow Check. Rear end gear ratio, gross vehicle weight (GVW) and DRW vs. SRW make a difference in towing capacity. Don't be fooled by the manufacturer's published towing capacity because it does not include your personal setup.

Yup!

As is proven, the RV dealerships will tell you anything to get you to make a brand new RV purchase . . .

I have been shopping around for a new travel trailer . . . and I have a brand new 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 with the 4:10 rear end . . . and the trailer dealerships have been telling us anything to get us to buy new!

If you feel uncomfortable . . . walk away from the deal!

If you don't feel comfortable . . . there is a reason!

Truck&CamperAtGasStationSmall.jpg TruckAtGrandCanyon-IMG_3537.jpg SunCityRV-IMG_20150122_173556536.jpg

oldfitter

I just took delivery of a 2015 3500 DRW Ram with the Aisin tranny (a $2995 option) but with that you get a higher torque engine plus if you order 3.73 gears or 4.10 gears you get a massive different rear axle with bigger gears. A 10.8 in gear instead of 10.5 in but the whole axle and pumpkin are HUGE. I also got the cargo box camera, self leveling rear air suspension, DRW, and Longhorn Laramie. Mine is brown with gold bottom to match gold swirl on my Landmark. I found it at Woodhouse in Blair NE. and a driver delivered it to my door and drove my trade in back (a 2012- 3500 SRW ram with much lower tow capacity). I figure this will be my last truck so I went all out. I don't think I will have to tow anything heavier than 23500 pounds in my life.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We pick up our new 2015 5th-wheel Heartland Prowler P292 tomorrow morning at 9 a.m.!

While we are doing the PDI . . . the slider hitch will be installed in the bed of our truck.

ProwlerOnLot-P5160719.jpg ProwlerOnLot-P5160728.jpg

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
I just took delivery of a 2015 3500 DRW Ram with the Aisin tranny (a $2995 option) but with that you get a higher torque engine plus if you order 3.73 gears or 4.10 gears you get a massive different rear axle with bigger gears. A 10.8 in gear instead of 10.5 in but the whole axle and pumpkin are HUGE. I also got the cargo box camera, self leveling rear air suspension, DRW, and Longhorn Laramie. Mine is brown with gold bottom to match gold swirl on my Landmark. I found it at Woodhouse in Blair NE. and a driver delivered it to my door and drove my trade in back (a 2012- 3500 SRW ram with much lower tow capacity). I figure this will be my last truck so I went all out. I don't think I will have to tow anything heavier than 23500 pounds in my life.

We did the same last year. Ours is a 2014 but most likely will be my last truck.

TacoTom

I have the 2014 Ram with the 6.7 Cummins and the Aisin along with 4:10 rears sitting ontop of Airlift Ultimate 5000 Airbags. I drive a lot of Mountain roads here in Western Canada and could not be happier, most hills are not a problem at 55 to 65 MPH in tow/haul mode and descending those big hills with the exhaust brake either in "Full" or "Automatic" mode reduces the need to ride the brake.

SilverRhino

Has anyone put a CM flatbed on their truck(s) and still had a 5er hitch added? I'm curious to see it if possible or get your thoughts on it. I currently have '12 3500 Ram and am thinking of putting a flat bed on the truck, but its got me questioning the 5er hitch.... Any input appreciated.

I looked for a CM bed for my previous truck, an '01 Dodge CTD 3500 4X4......the only one that would come close to working was the plain flatbed. I wanted more storage and did not like the prices I was seeing on the hauler beds. Then I found out about _Larry Herrin who builds his own beds from the ground up. In the add photos, my Dodge is the "2001 Dodge Dually with 5th Wheel"

The difference between the quality of Larry's beds and the CM is just not compariable in my mind. Give Larry a call...... It would be well worth the time and the drive to get it!

Attachments

• t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    793.5 KB · Views: 37
  • t51.jpg
    t51.jpg
    728.3 KB · Views: 32
  • t31.jpg
    t31.jpg
    779.8 KB · Views: 35
  • t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 35

Mburtsvt

I think you will be happy with it. Most of the past issues have been addressed, (ride quality, noise, suspension issues). I sold mine, (a 2013), a few month ago and looking at a 2015 3500. I’m holding out to see the specs on the 2016 F450 before I decide.