Does Adding 8k Axels Change .....?

We are still looking at options we may want to add IF we go ahead and bite the bullet on a new 5ver.

By adding the 8k axels over the OEM:

Does that change the rolling overall heigth of the rig?

By adding does that change size of springs or shocks?

Does it affect or change the ride of the RV?

We are looking at the 3160 and figure 7k is sufficient and really considering as some have mentioned going this route in lieu of DBs.

NOT trying to open the debate on DBs VS 8k axels larger drums.

Thanks!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I believe the axle size it self is about the same but your spendles and bearings are much larger.
I also believe the spring are the same.
So I would think hight and ride would be the same.
If it's an option to do the 8K axles with the 17.5 H rated tires and disk brakes it would be very very high on my list of must haves on my new RV. If your RV is anything over 16000 pounds.
My Landmark 365 is over 18K and sitting about 14500 on the axles.
Not even close to it's capacity. And knowing​ that while your traveling down the Hwy give you a real good feeling. Then when you step on the brakes and you can actually feel them working !!!
I Definitely recommend the upgrade.
If they won't do the disk brakes you can put them on after you get it.

Hope this help
Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Kathi-27

ck are 2017 bh with 8000lb axles. springs are 4000 lb. the bigger brakes on the 8000 lb axles are a whole lot better than the 7000 lb axles brakes that are smaller. but like Jerrod said disk brakes are even better. moryde is suspension is even better. that will be on my list of up grades in the future.

richheck

Seasoned Member
Yes, your ride will be different but I don't think an issue, the 7k axles are 3" tube in diameter with 12" x 2" brakes and 6 leaf springs, the 8k axle is 3 1/2 in in diameter with 12 1/4 x 3 3/8 brakes and 7 leaf springs.

If your not interested in upgrading to disc brakes later I wouldn't hesitate in upgrading to the 8k axle just for the brakes alone.

i don't think you will be disappointed with the additional spring leaf, just remember your coach will only be empty two times in your ownership, the day you take delivery and the day you sell it.

A while back I upgraded the brakes and springs on a toy hauler I had, was totally impressed on the improvement at that time.