Dometic Frig Pooped Out

navyAZ1

Also look in the back of the fridge from outside for any yellowish powdery substance around any of the exposed tubes and joints , coils etc.
The yellow powder indicates a leak and the unit is done.

YIKES! I did find a yellow powdery substance, I thought it was just some of that pesky yellow pine pollen we have to deal with here in GA in the spring. Got an appointment to take the BH down to RV World of GA tomorrow and let them trouble shoot it.

navyAZ1

I haven't checked those fuses, but the control panel lights up on the front of the frig, so I would assume it's getting power. Got a bad feeling about all the yellow powder I saw in the back compartment?

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Yellow is the kiss of death. Leaking coolant from the cooling unit. As an FYI, I wouldn't get a rebuilt unit although cheaper. The new Dometics have a 1 year warranty vs 90 day for most of the rebuilts. We see quite a bit of failure right out of the box with 3rd party rebuilds.

hillsonwheels

Boyhowdy...........It's all really clear to me that Randy has spoken....:eek:....."the heating does the cooling".........that makes it as clear as mud! Just sayin'....:cool:

Dick

slmayor

Boy, Bill, I wish there was a like button on here like facebook. LOL great job with the link.

I'll look into the Amish cooling units, but I suspect the freight charges would put us close to what a new fridge costs. Most of what we order from Elkhart that has to be shipped by truck is well over $100 freight, no matter the weight.

O.K. Dick, You want the FULL explanation of how an Ammonia Adsorbsion Refrigeration Unit works? Simply read this: http://www.rvmobile.com/Tech/Trouble/cooldoc.htm

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Actually a replacement cooling unit from Dometic will be different that the one in your refer from 3-4 years ago. They kind of had some issues with the ones that were being built in Europe for them and about 2 years ago, built a new facility in Iowa where they now build their own cooling units. They seem to be holding up a little better.

This is good news! My replacement was OEM. Hopefully it will last as long as we own the rig.;)

navyAZ1

Here's the verdict! The "frig is fried", I have decided to go with a new unit rather than just a cooling unit replacement. The install of the new one is less than $300 more than having the cooling unit replaced and this way we get a 3 year warranty on parts, and 2 year warranty on labor. Only 90 day warranty from dealer if they replace the cooling unit. And I can say these dudes aren't cheap, this is knocking a big chunk of money out of my Gillette, WY fund. I wonder if there is any reason that this frig worked so well for so long while we were fulltiming and it ran 24/7, and then when we quit fulltiming and the unit sat not being used that much that it has now given up the ghost? I'm thinking maybe when it is sitting here at the house I'll just keep the frig running since I'm hooked up on shore power.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks for the update Ron. I think if ours ever decides to take a dump, we'll convert to a residential type fridge. Either a basic 12cu.ft. from Sears or somewhere similar or a unit that's frost free with an icemaker through an on-line seller. More money than the basic but the frost free would be awesome.
Good luck with your new reefer.

slmayor

Did you want to come to work for us? That is verbatim, the same thing we tell our customers....LOL PS:, shop around, not everyone sells them for the same price. Just make sure they're an "authorized" dealer. The folks that buy direct from Dometic will have a good price, and many dealers will install for no charge if you buy the fridge there. Although on a direct replacement, they're not that hard to do. Good Luck!

Here's the verdict! The "frig is fried", I have decided to go with a new unit rather than just a cooling unit replacement. The install of the new one is less than $300 more than having the cooling unit replaced and this way we get a 3 year warranty on parts, and 2 year warranty on labor. Only 90 day warranty from dealer if they replace the cooling unit. And I can say these dudes aren't cheap, this is knocking a big chunk of money out of my Gillette, WY fund. I wonder if there is any reason that this frig worked so well for so long while we were fulltiming and it ran 24/7, and then when we quit fulltiming and the unit sat not being used that much that it has now given up the ghost? I'm thinking maybe when it is sitting here at the house I'll just keep the frig running since I'm hooked up on shore power.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

We've come to the conclusion, that using the RV appliances on a fulltime basis is actually better for them. We've been fulltime for six years now, and knock on wood, NOTHING has crapped out!! When we used our units on a part time basis, something was always needing repair or replacing...kinda like a race horse, "gotta run it if you want to keep it in racing shape"....

navyAZ1

Yep, when we pick up the coach tomorrow, I plan to leave the frig turned on while sitting here and hooked to shore power. As was said we never had a problem in all the time we were living in the coach 24/7, so we shall return to the method of keeping everything running as much as possible.

navyAZ1

Got the BH back with the new frig and all is well, with the exception that this repair took enough out of my "extra fuel fund" that we are having to cancel going to Gillette for the Rally and only take shorter trips. Really hate that but with the cost of fuel right now it just isn't possible.

However, a positive note my part-time consulting business has become a "full-time" business for the next couple of months so we will have extra fuel money for the shorter trips.