Dometic rm1350 - need help!

lwmcguir

Did the technician make sure your burner flame was adequate. About 5 refrigerators back we had problems cooling quickly. I took it apart and ran a orifice drill down the orifice. It had a bur on it and removing that obstruction let the flame create enough more heat the fridge cooled down. This was probably a 7 cubic foot so the flame was pretty small. Worth looking into.

sgtbigb

Just got my unit back from the dealer, He said Dometic told them to reset the breaker, which he did and it has been cold for 2 days. I reset the same breaker but it did not work for me?????. We will take it out again next month to Corpus, and hope we do not have trouble!!

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I have not seen a repairman yet. Had one lined up to come to campground in gladewater texas (dometic rep) but he never showed and never returned my calls. I have plans to bring rv to a dealer closer to my home, waiting on proper time (tailgating) to bring it to him. Still holding in the 45 -50 temp range.

lwmcguir

Just got my unit back from the dealer, He said Dometic told them to reset the breaker, which he did and it has been cold for 2 days. I reset the same breaker but it did not work for me?????. We will take it out again next month to Corpus, and hope we do not have trouble!!

Curious as to what resetting the breaker would do. If someone knows it would be interesting for sure.

sdagro

Below are a few replies I received from my post on rv.net earlier today. Very interesting.

Gale Hawkins wrote:
x.gif

Norcold and Dometic both have pushed the absorption refrigerater use in a confined RV closet beyond its limits it seems. Builders have compounded the problem by putting the technology in places were no roof vent could be installed.

They work OK it seems in less than 90 degree weather. There must be about 3 three threads going on the Norcold 1200 right now on these forums. More fans seem to help per some post on the issue of air movement behind the fridge.

You are confusing the blame. Norcold and Dometic build products that DO WORK. The problem is the OEM RV maker that does NOT build the cabinet and ventilation areas to correctly operate the refers. As to the RM 1350, That is an Edsel that Dometic built 4 to 5 years ago and NOBODY really wanted to put that in (OEM's). The LAST 1350 built was in 2006/2007 and Dometic has a warehouse full of them. We had a customer in a Georgetown that wanted a new refer because of his problems and Dometic told us, that the "newest" they had was from 2006/07, so the customer elected NOT to get a new refer. The 1350 needs a LOT of fan ventilation to function. Doug

irk wrote:
x.gif

Dougrainer,

You may well know, but do you mind sharing your information source?

Well, I am a Master Certified RV tech (32 years as a tech) and the info is straight from Dometic. Not the Edsel part
biggrin.gif
Just my opinion, since they have a warehouse full and very few OEM's option the 1350. The 1350 is almost identical to the 1200/1210 Norcold, and I will bet the Norcold may be cheaper, so OEM's use the Norcold and NOT the 1350. Doug

sdagro

I guess I've got too much time on my hands right now but I found some more interesting info this time on Dometic's website. Looked up on the replacement chart on their website, and saw where where there is no replacement for the RM1350 as it says it is a CURRENT model. Also looked up the specs on another model--the RM1402, which is a true 2 door side-by-side. RM1350 weighs in at 198# while the RM1402 weighs in at a hefty 328#. Same exact dimensions and the 1350 is 130# lighter. What do y'all read into this? Could it be the 1402 has a bigger cooling unit and boiler? Sure would like some answers on this one. Steve

sdagro

Went to dealer today to check on my Bighorn and bring the replacement keypad that was sent to me from Southco. Day 7---still there. Working on the smaller problems but still waiting to get together with Dometic/Heartland. Did go in camper to check a few things including the manufactured date of fridge. Inside the door on the production label was stamped 2010. Didn't really pay attention to the month, but did see as plain as day that this fridge was built in 2010. Not sure how that happened since they SUPPOSEDLY have not made any since 2006/2007. I don't know who to beleive anymore. Just can't wait to get camper back. Steve

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Steve - bringing mine to dealer next week on tuesday. He said he has talked to heartland & dometic and will get it working one way or the other. I will keep you posted, as i don't think there will be a solution. Mine is on 50' today and keeping steady at that temp. Guess i should be happy it is not any hotter.
(just for steve: Geaux cowboys!!)

sdagro

Hey Kenny, I say "Geaux Cowboys" also...except when they play LSwho!! On a more serious not, mine has been in shop now 9 working days...2 weeks. still no cure. Still "blame game" going on. I talked to Heartland today and they told tech to take top vent panel off and place an exhaust fan in top and call to give them reading at hottest part of day. Not sure if they did "test" or not. I do know that they closed a little early for the holiday weekend. Now i won't know anything til Tuesday. Went by at 4pm and crew had left. Shop foreman let me go in and check out fridge temp. 39 degrees with slides closed. I'm sure it would have been warmer with sun hitting all sides with slide open. I will be there at 7:30am Tuesday to find out and get another call in to Heartland or Dometic--whom the tech spoke to both today. Its getting very "TESTY" around the house these days, especially on the 22nd...when the note is due.. As much as I hate to say so, I hope the weather stays hot long enough to solve both of our cooling problems. I can't wait to hear of the "FIX" they have for your unit. Eric is supposedly "THE MAN" at Heartland to confer with. I'll be waiting to here from you on this. Maybe someone else knows different? Have a great Labor Day. Steve

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Thanks for the update on your rig. We were tailgating from friday noon till sunday noon at mcneese. We beat lamar 30-27 and just hung on like lsu did.
My fridge has not been working for over a month. I was/am bringing it in tuesday morning. Well guess what, the outside temp. Dropped and that *amn thing started cooling. I can't figure it out!! Temp dropped to 33-34 range before starting to go back up. Fridge was empty except for a 20# bag of ice we put in to save for later. We have an away game this week then an open date so i can leave it in the shop for a little while. I will keep you posted.
Did you ever get your computer fixed? I got about 3 -4 emails from you which looked like somebody had taken over your computer. Letters were all jumbled up and we did not open them.
Question for the msu/lsu game. How does your group get to tiger stadium from the rv park? We don't have parking there and hear that may be a problem. We know the charter bus operator that is bringing 4 buses or so of fans. I was thinking we could maybe get one of his buses to bring us & your crew to the game? Would traffic be to bad for that idea? What do you suggest? Kenny

sdagro

Got computer out of shop. Didn't have any viruses. they changed my email password and while they had it(5 days) no random emails were sent out. When did you receive the last "no subject" emails from me? On a lighter note, we take the shuttle from Farr Park which last year was $15.00/person. Drops you off on the corner by the old Alex Box and p/u at the Tiger cage. Only problem is sometimes campus obscurity(security) routes us the long way home and it has taken us as long as 2 hrs. I will keep you updated on that as well as getting a spot for your son. I will be waiting for dealership to open their doors tomorrow morning and will stay there til I have answers on what they will do. Steve

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
1. Good news on your computer, my son, cory, (lsu tiger) is a computer expert if you ever need him again. He will "fix" minor stuff for you for free if you bring it to the game and he has the time.
2. Last "no subject" was sept. 3rd that i saw.
3. Dang, sounds like the shuttle is the way to go, but i don't want to wait 2 hours to get back.

sdagro

I will talk to this guy Francis who tailgates at Farr Park. He is in good with LSU Chief of Police. last year once he told the chief what was going on he took care of things and shuttle was allowed a more direct route back to Farr park. Hopefully by the McNeese game everything will be hashed out. You do know that these small police dept. seem like they have to "RE-LEARN" every year what to do. Not sure if I told you or not...Dometic is sending me a new fridge. Why??? Who knows. Tech was told to hang a 10" box fan on the outside of the top vent which he did and fridge ran at 37 degrees and freezer at 0 all day today. I went got it because I need it at my house for a tailgate/engagement party for a nephew and by the time I got home it was up to 40 in fridge and 10 in freezer. Steve

sdagro

Sorry Kenny, I forgot something. Not sure who your dealer is but tell them to stay on Dometic/Heartland because if you don't---they won't do anything. My dealer, Wayne Mitchell told me that they will listen to the buyer/customer a lot better/quicker than a dealer. You can call Eric(Heartland)574-262-8030 EXT. 1138 and tell him the problem and the person to talk to at the dealer. This seemed to open up a quicker line of communication for me. Of course they still seem to be clue-less as to what to do. I'm kinda counting on you to find out a little more than I am. :) Steve

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Let me know what model fridge you get. I don't want another of the same model unless they have a new series or make the cooling stuff bigger. No news on mine yet, i'm sure it is running in the mid 40-50's. You see my other note about the braces i have? Kenny

sdagro

Yes. I still have the JT Strong-Arms that i took off of my Wildcat. Called the manufacturer and he said they will fit mine. Have my camper home now waiting for the same fridge replacement. They will not replace with anything but like same appliance. really sucks huh. Get this. They still claim it is refrigerator problem thats why they are sending a new one out on Monday. However they told tech to hang 10" box fan on outside of camper at top vent which they did. In the direct sun--after installing the fan freezer was at "0" and fridge was at "35/37". Now what does that tell you? Sounds like a ventilation problem to me ay. They to tech to plug in new fridge in shop to make sure it works before installing. ****, mine is working installed as long as it is in the shop or has a 10" fan sucking the air out. They were told all of this then the 2 geniuses---Dometic/Heartland decided I needed a new fridge. My tech told me something I will NEVER forget..."Mr. Steve you will never be happy with this fridge". Can't get it out of my mind. He swears the only way to fix it would be to remove the cabinet drawer below the fridge, drop the fridge and get the top of fridge away from top of slide as well as positioned better to top vent. He told them in conference call yesterday and I think they ignored him. Gotta go cook lunch for 20 bankers today. See ya. Keep me posted on yours. Other brand that should fit our sceranrio is the Norcold 1210. Good reviews. 1/16" narrower and wider but 2" shallower. Later. Steve

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
No news on mine yet, hopefully they are keeping their beer in it cold or either monitoring it for a few days to see how it don't work in the la. Heat. I guess if they keep it till december, it will start cooling better! We will be out of touch for the next few days, so, if you get any more info on yours, email me as i will not be checking this board. I have been keeping my dealer updated on your progress, in hopes it may help. Kenny

sdagro

GO SAINTS!!!!WHO DAT!!! Favre should have retired for good the 1st time he retired.

Anyway, enough of that. Kenny, my fridge ran all day outside in the sun, slides open with a cute little 10" box fan hanging on the outside in front of the top vent. 35-37 degrees in fridge and 0 in freezer. I will call Dometic tomorrow and tell them they need to duplicate the 10" fan in the inside compartment in the upper area. Why should air sucking from the top have a better cooling effect than air blowing from the bottom? Keep it clean y'all. We are talking fans and fridges here!! Perhaps the 4 little fans behind fridge need a little help. Not hardly any more room back there to add any. Would be nice to put 4 fans at the top vent on inside but with the baffle there is no room. Will post more tomorrow after Dometic conversation. Steve

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I now have one of the 2 little 4" fans and have added 2 - 6" fans. Still no help. Maybe i need to put a couple on the top to blow out?? I watched the last 10 minutes of the saints game and am glad they won. My wife said if you have gray hair and a gray beard, you are too old to play in the nfl, i think she is pretty close to being right.

sdagro

I believe I am beginning to think too deep on this subject. Woke up this morning trying to figure this. If I put 3-4 of those 120mm 6-bladed fans up against the top of the top vent from the inside, when the air hits the ribbing on the vent is it going to create turbulence and form a back-draft in the opposite direction. Thought about cutting that area out and putting some other type of "grating" but then rain could blow in.