Dometic rm1350 - need help!

57chevyconvt

Again, if it the RV was designed correctly based on Dometic's installation requirements, should not the refrigerator installed in a slide work properly from the very 'get-go'? My RM1350 IM is not in a slide and modifications to the installation were required to obtain maximum performance.

Jim
I think all refrigerators should work correctly from new,however some of the installations I have seen,from many different makers ,have raised alot of eyebrows.
Walk around a campground or a dealer,and look at how high the unit is installed in slide out and then try to figure out how that "chimney" is going to flow air and you will see what service people are up against
Ultimately, I guess it's up to the maker of the refrigerator to design one that will work in a galley slide out,so the cooling unit won't run too hot.
Of course ,they could put a compressor/electric unit (like from a house) in a trailer,but that would take involve many batteries and a large inverter to dry camp and would require a generator install to keep the house batteries charged
so.this is just my opinion
Rich

Last edited:

57chevyconvt

Rich,
Many of the large motorhomes have the residential type of refigerators because of available power via generator and they are less expensive to purchase than a Dometic RM 1350.
Until the RV manufacturer(s) and Dometic come agreement on a design/installation procedure, it will be up to the owner, dealer, and RV techs to install correct baffling and additional fan and/or wire fans to run anytime the refrig is in operation to achieve proper air flow over the condensing coil. I guess that is where folks like you come to the aid of other like me.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Another issue I just had to deal with on the fridge was a bad ground wire. Was having problems with fridge going to LP and not staying on elect. power. Finally checked all the ground wires at the breaker box and that was the problem. Heartland must have used an impact wrench to tighten the ground wire and also the white wire as they were so tight the set screw flattened the copper wires. Also checked the wire going to each breaker and some of them were loose too. All is working again.

jim3807

This is my first post. We have been in our big horn almost a full year and I have not been happy with the rm1350 from day one. Have complained the whole time to dealer. Have it at the dealer for warrenty work about six weeks ago. The servide manager solution was to set the A/C to 75 and let the blower run on high full time and have refrig set on #5. Well that doesn't really fix the problem. Talked to him again yesterday and it just wasn't a good time for him. My rm1350 still runs 24/7 either gas or electric, which ends up expensive energy wise. Now waiting for a return call from heartland customer service. It looks like I'am going to half to find a solution and fix it myself. Jim Owens

jimtoo

Hi jim3807,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed. I see you have been a member for a while and not doing any posting.

I was going to suggest that you call Heartland Customer Service and speak with someone, but you say your waiting for a return call, so I assume you have done that. Let us know what happens. Also have you talked directly to Dometic, might be good to try that also.

Jim M

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jim3807, read this entire thread. One fix that may help you is to install a baffle to direct the air over the top colling coils.
You could also bypass the button thermostat that controls the fans for continuous run.
Another would be to insulate the area above the upper coil.
HERE is a link to a page on this thread that shows how I installed my baffle. You must direct the air movement across the upper fins.

Peace
Dave

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
The servide manager solution was to set the A/C to 75 and let the blower run on high full time and have refrig set on #5. Well that doesn't really fix the problem.

THE ABOVE MAKES NO SENSE. IT MIGHT WORK BETTER IF HE HAD TOLD YOU TO LEAVE THE FRIDGE DOORS OPEN SO THE AC COULD COOL IT DOWN. YOUR SOLUTION IS SPELLED OUT SEVERAL TIMES IN THIS LONG STRING OF TALK ON THE RM1350. DO THE FIX YOURSELF AND TELL DOMETIC YOU WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER ONE OF THEIR PRODUCTS BY USING YOUR POCKET BOOK ON YOUR NEXT RV PURCHASE.

CCCI

This is my first post. We have been in our big horn almost a full year and I have not been happy with the rm1350 from day one. Have complained the whole time to dealer. Have it at the dealer for warrenty work about six weeks ago. The servide manager solution was to set the A/C to 75 and let the blower run on high full time and have refrig set on #5. Well that doesn't really fix the problem. Talked to him again yesterday and it just wasn't a good time for him. My rm1350 still runs 24/7 either gas or electric, which ends up expensive energy wise. Now waiting for a return call from heartland customer service. It looks like I'am going to half to find a solution and fix it myself. Jim Owens

Jim
Are you in the RGV, if so, there may be 2 visitors coming to the valley very soon that may be of some use to you.
Contact me via PM.

wolfrat1

maybe if we could afford to do it, start taking these rv's back to heartlands headquarters and start giving them bad press. although this may not be heartland's fault, this would make them start pressuring dometic to come to a good design solution. this would stop us from complaining in this forum. it's obvious that nothing will be accomplished here. everybody has been complaing for quite some time and this is as far as we get. heartland and dometic aren't going to do anything as long as we don't do anything. well it appears some of my posting was edited. which is really a shame for what all of us are going through. but its's okay, i'll start applying pressure somewhere else. i'm tired of just getting lip service. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:

jbeletti

Wolfrat1,

Heartland has replaced Dometic with Norcold on the large 4-door refers on our current product. While this does not help you, it speaks to the fact that as an RV producer, we're listening and we're making changes.

Jim

wolfrat1

i have my rv down the road from the factory at rvcapital for my third dometic refrig. i'll call them tomorrow and see what they replaced it with. if heartland has switched to norcold there is no sense putting a dometic back in my brand new trailer. what procedure do i need to go through to not have another dometic put back in my rv.

Last edited:

jbeletti

i have my rv down the road from the factory at rvcapital for my third dometic refrig. i'll tomorrow and see what they replaced it with. if heartland has switched to norcold there is no sense putting a dometic back in my brand new trailer. what procedure do i need to go through to not have another dometic put back in my rv.

Sorry wolfrat, I do not know that process. You could always make the request to Heartland customer service. My guess is that it may not be an exact replacement from a fitment perspective.

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Sorry wolfrat, I do not know that process. You could always make the request to Heartland customer service. My guess is that it may not be an exact replacement from a fitment perspective.

Jim

Not only that, but the OEM is a Dometic and Dometic is the one actually warranting the product. I'm guessing they'll only replace it with the same thing.

CCCI

We are now waiting for our SIXTH fridge to be installed and it will be a NORCOLD 1210IM.
Heartland has agreed to install one of the new models being used on the 2012 BigHorns & Landmarks.
There will need to be a bit of trim work, but they assure us that it will all mbe matched up.
Our contact @ Heartland is David Hilliker. He is a Customer Service Rep., so needs to get authorizations from higher up, but he is very helpful & thorough.
Will keep this thread posted on activity.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
You live in canada, can't you just open the door to the bighorn and leave the fridge door open? I don't know who is wasting more money on your unit, heartland or dometic? Did they not try any of the "fixes" listed on this long string i started a year ago?

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Well it wasn't funny for several months last year. Listening to the wife, ask why i was throwing away the food in the fridge as it was all bad. Then the next day, the dang thing would be cooling again, and we would load it up with food. Mine had several issues, cracked computer board which would go on/off every time we hit a bump in the road. Wiring harness, and finally the poor design.it is now working good for many months now.
You have to laugh at it, life is too short to get upset over every little thing. I'm in south louisiana, we are getting our 1st real freeze tonight, so my fridge is real cooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllddddddddddddddddd!!!!!