Dometic RM3862 - replacing cooling unit?

RawFaith

Well our 2way dometic decided to cease to exist yesterday. The fragrance of ammonia is really unmistakable unique.
Since we are full timers we are forced to make a fast decision about this and will like your input.
We have pretty much 3 options:
1) New 2 way refrigerator - $1200
2) Replacing the cooling unit - $400 to $700
3) Going residential

Quick questions:
1) does anyone has any experience replacing the cooling unit? main concern here is safety, so what would be a good source for refurbished cooling units?
2) don't have a generator, so when we travel the 2 way fridge becomes very handy as well as the water heater. So going residential will mean doing the inverter install and adding batteries to run it while driving? what size of inverter and how many batteries should we add? and doesn't this offset the cost of an RV type refrigerator?

wdk450

Check out RVCoolingUnit.com. They do have a communications area for questions. Most of their cooling units have links to U Tube videos, or you can search U Tube for your model number. Here is a page with contact info: https://rvcoolingunit.com/ContactUs.aspx

I can't help much with the other questions, but I have not heard of any safety questions in changing out a cooling unit. Maybe wear gloves while handling the old cooling unit.

RawFaith

had anyone replace it with a residential?

Attachments

• 1E678B44-DB7F-4B68-86D8-156794212625.jpg
    1E678B44-DB7F-4B68-86D8-156794212625.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 14

danemayer

Here are 2 threads where people replaced their gas absorption refrigerator with a residential.

First

Second

But I don't think either of these was replacing a Dometic RM3862, so you'll have to evaluate size and fit.