Dometic RM1350MIM Not Cooling again (2nd time since purchased)

Bought our 2012 Heartland Landmark from Seguin, TX, in Dec 2011. Cooling unit went out and was replaced at our home in Bayside, TX, in June 2012. Now same problem (dig. readout stays at 58 or higher no matter what I do). Just diagnosed and tested 3 days ago, and now am without fridge/freezer until parts are sent by Dometic (probably to replace cooling unit again). Told my repairer (same company both times) that I want whatever it takes to be done so this problem doesn't happen every six months.

I've read the other posts on the fridge/freezer in this forum, and am nearing my wit's end. Have lost over $400 in spoiled food with these 2 occurrences (which no insurance covers). We live in this unit, so I buy ice every day now to keeps drinks and water available. Have to eat out or buy food to prepare every day (16 miles one way to nearest grocery store. My repair tech says he is working with Dometic to see about new/different baffles to use and possible additional fans to help circulate air.

Please let me know all actions available to correct this; otherwise I'm ready to sell this fiver to someone from up north, including the GMC)!

Jim & Joy Teet
2012 LANDMARK SAN ANTONIO
2005 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB DURAMAX

danemayer

Hi Jim,

One thing that is easy to miss. The flap between the refrigerator doors can bind. If it does, the freezer will be very cold while the frig is very warm. There's a redesign on the guide brackets to get a more positive rotation of the flap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One member reported that on his last cooling unit the tech discovered that there was no thermal transfer gel used on the past repairs.
Tech applied the gel and now the refer is working better than ever.
Talk to your tech about that.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

wdk450

Jim:
One big item to consider: Are you now living WITHOUT electrical shore power, and do you see this happening very much in your RVing future??? The main reason RV's have propane/electric refrigerators is so the owners can boondock. The ability to keep refrigeration cooling going down the road on propane gas is another feature, although this is controversial from a fire safety standpoint, and many users say it will stay cold enough without refrigeration for the few hours a day you are travelling.

I ask you to consider the above points because many RVers have decided to eliminate the unreliability and fire hazard of propane-heated refrigeration, remove the ammonia-based RV unit, and install a conventional freon compressor type refrigerator of the right outside dimensions. Some RV'ers have even installed a special inverter (generated from 12 volt batteries) power circuit for the refrigerator, so that it CAN cool going down the road.

Thanks Dan. Checked it out thoroughly and that isn't an issue ... being in S. Texas is the real problem. Feel if Heartland really wants to sell its products to warm climate people, they would take much more care to properly fit, install and insulate products for these markets. I know --- just wishful thinking, but replacing the cooling unit every 6 months is just ridiculous.

Jim

Thanks for the idea Bill ... no we have never boondocked and are hooked up to proper shore power except when on the road. We are living in our Landmark while I am remodeling our old house to put on the market this spring. Except for a short local trip, haven't been anywhere since purchasing the 5er in Dec. 2011.

Jimmie

mobilcastle

I installed two cooling fans with a thermostat behind my fridge and also wired one in the fridge to circulate the air. Unit cools quickly and runs-much better at a lower setting than when I bought it. I don't have the large four door unit-I have the larger double door unit. Is yours in a slide? I also insulated the slide walls and made a baffle for the top to circulate the air over the coils to cool them. I was able to get this info off this site(thank you to the poster). Do a search and I am sure you will find it if you feel you need it. It is difficult for refrigerators to cool when in a slide. Good luck.