Refrigerator not cooling but freezer is

jjwink

My Dometic 3962 refrigerator in my 2011 Rushmore is not cooling. The freezer section is at 0 but fridge goes from 45-60. There is no food in it right now so it is not overloaded. Any suggestions what to check?
Really do not want to replace if it is fixable! We have a trip planned , supposed to leave in 3 days.

danemayer

Hi jjwink,

If the freezer is at 0, and the refrigerator compartment is warm, you probably have an air leak. Check the door seals with a dollar bill. If you close the door on a bill, and pull it, there should be some drag.

Also check the drain hose on the outside where the louvered vent is located. There should be a loose fitting cap on the end. If it's missing, warm air will migrate into the refrigerator compartment.

Lou_and_Bette

There may be a sensor that attaches to the cooling fins in the refrigerator part. That sensor needs to be moved up on the fin to adjust the box temperature down. If it is just hanging down or low on the fin, it is not telling the brain to put more cooling into the refrigerator part from the freezer part.

jjwink

Tried the dollar seal test, bill pulled right through. Drain hose has cap. Called Dometic for suggestions. They also suggested the bill test, told us to heat the seals with hair drier till soft, stuff cotton balls behind seals and shut door. After a couple hours try the bill test again- pulled right out. Next was remove the louvered panel outside and put a fan in front to see if additional air would help. Nothing got the temps below 51/54. Gave up and luckily Camping World had one in stock! Both CW and repair man said it probably has a coolant blockage. Not sure what that is from.

danemayer

If the bill pulls right through with no resistance, warm air will also go through. Anyone suggest replacing the seals?

When the cooling unit has a blockage, you don't usually get cooling for the freezer compartment either.

carl.swoyer

The cooling system is more than likely in failure. Unless you have extended warranty I suggest putting in a residential frig. My cooling unit failed, had a new one put in two and a half months ago. It to is failing. I will be getting around to putting the residential frig in.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

There is a procedure for testing the cooling unit. Have it tested, if it fails really consider the residential. I have a 2012 Rushmore as well

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk