Norcold Problems with Double Door Model 1210

Harry1

Thought I'd pass on some info with problems with a Norcold model 1210 refrigerator. This problem has been posted by many before with the same issue. With our 2015 Bighorn 3010RE we just went past our 12 month of ownership and the refrigerator stopped cooling. About 2 weeks prior we noticed we were increasing our stat setting from 7 up to 9 and the cooling was dropping off. Contacted Norcold and elected for a mobile service tech in our area they recommended. We ran with the thermistor disconnected for 2/3 days and switched to propane for over 24 hours and then back to electric with no success. Technician checked all connections, electric heater current draw, propane flame, installation of baffles and clearances, condenser fans both running and took ohm readings on the thermistor in a glass of ice. He found nothing wrong and was to contact Norcold about the cooling unit. After loosing the food in the freezer and keeping a bag of ice in the fridge everyday, we salvaged some food items. We left the refrigerator turned on while this was all taking place over a period of 5 days.
After the 6th day the unit pulled down in temperature without us doing anything and staying in the same spot during this time. The freezer is now at 2 degrees with the fridge at 34 with the stat setting at 9. Outside air has been in the low 80's.
With Norcold there is really no explanation other than a blockage that may have broke free in the ammonia system. There are way too many of us that are experiencing this same issue and if you check the internet, others are as well. This is not the so called normal "burping" of an ammonia system that has been sitting in a warehouse lying down flat and then being installed into service. This seems to be a quality issue somewhere in the manufacturing process of these units. We are full time and move every 2 to 3 weeks and this is not our first RV and we have not experienced this issue before.

In warranty or not, if this is an on-going blockage issue Norcold should acknowledge the problem and repair the units if reported. These units are way too expensive to have to repair after 1 year or less. We have also contacted Heartland as well and asked them to investigate this issue with Norcold. The issue now is whether we trust the unit. It's been 7 days and running like one would expect. Add this posting to all of the rest concerning this issue as I hope others will who are experiencing the same.

icechex

I have pretty much the same problem with my Norcold and agree with you that it could be a 'design' problem that needs to be addressed by Norcold/Heartland. I will follow your thread and see what comes of it. As I mentioned I have a similar problem with my Norcold. In my case it suddenly 'warmed up' in the refer section (40 degrees) and freezer section (20 degrees) - and then after we moved the 5th wheel 135 miles - it returned to normal which is where it is now, but, uh, what about when we move again?