Don't Buy The Cheap Sewer Hose

JanAndBill

A few months back, my son found himself at a campground where he was a few feet short on sewer hose to the drain. The campground had the better quality hose or a cheap "make your own" hose. Being the "frugal" person that he is, he went cheap and finished their trip.

Last week they were once again in a situation that required more hose, so out comes the "cheap" hose. This time, however the run was uphill, and he didn't take the time to correct it. They had a lot going on, and forgot to drain the black tank. At 2 am in the morning, his wife wakes him up because of the smell coming from a burping over full tank. Nothing will do but that he go empty the tank "right now". So still half asleep and in the dark he pulls the black tank valve. After a bit he realizes he doesn't hear anything running. When he turns around he sees what looks like a "bloated" sewer hose up the line. Realizing at that point that he forgot about the line going uphill, the first thing that came to his groggy mind was to go to the bloated section and "lift up" the hose.

The first thing that a fully awake, rational individual would do is shut off the black tank valve before proceeding. The second thing they would do is "NOT TRY" to lift a cheap hose full of poop. As soon as he lifted the hose, it came loose from the coupling spaying you know what all over. Again, a fully awake rational individual would have immediately ran to close the black tank valve, but at 2 am in the morning he was as we already surmised not thinking clearly. Instead while trying to hold the spewing hose together while being covered in &^%$ he yells for his wife to come help. She rushes out to see the mess, and rather than turn off the black tank valve, an argument ensues over who's responsible for the mess. It wasn't until lights came on in the neighboring trailers that they finally came to their senses and she closed the valve.

Once the beast was tamed, they were then able to start the clean up process, which was fortunately completed before dawn. Eventually the blue tint on the hands will go away and it will be nothing but a bad memory, and the grass on that side of the hill will probably be a little greener in the future!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Great story!

Glad it didn't happen to me!

Our dealership tossed in one of those 10' cheap hoses and only one fitting with the purchase.

Like 10' would be enough . . .

It is in the basement as backup . . . but I doubt I'll ever use it.

We have 40 feet of good sewer hose as our previous Heartland Trail Runner had two dump connections on it, so needed 20 feet for each to reach most campground sewer hookups.

I am so glad we now don't have to hook up that civil engineering sewer setup we used to have on the Trail Runner.

Attachments

• TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095110323.jpg
    TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095110323.jpg
    775.6 KB · Views: 47

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
After 35 years of RVing, I am in serious mode about purchasing a macerator for all the reasons you mentioned above. Trace

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I like the RhinoFlex hose for our CG. And have an extension length for it. But for the last time at Goshen (2013), I bought the Sewer Solutions water macerator and an extension. Worked great for the uphill run to the sewer. Sometimes, saving a few dollars results in more grief than it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

In 2008, I moved to a premium hose and Cam-Lock fittings and never looked back. Twice prior, I've had the hose twist off the RV sewer outlet while "humping the stinky slinky" :) Not any more.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
In 2008, I moved to a premium hose and Cam-Lock fittings and never looked back. Twice prior, I've had the hose twist off the RV sewer outlet while "humping the stinky slinky" :) Not any more.

Hey Jim, I bought one of those 'premium hoses' like you have. I love it and have had it for several years. About a month ago it started leaking as the hose developed sever pin holes in it. When I looked to replace it Polychute is not making them anymore. I called the company and talked to the lady there and she told me their supplier quit making the hoses for them. (don't know why). I did find a similar hose being sold by Lippert that has the Cam-Lock lfittings but the end that connects to the RV requires a different connection not a twist lock. You can find it here http://www.etrailer.com/Plumbing/Lippert-Components/LC359724.html

jbeletti

Hey Jim, I bought one of those 'premium hoses' like you have. I love it and have had it for several years. About a month ago it started leaking as the hose developed sever pin holes in it. When I looked to replace it Polychute is not making them anymore. I called the company and talked to the lady there and she told me their supplier quit making the hoses for them. (don't know why). I did find a similar hose being sold by Lippert that has the Cam-Lock lfittings but the end that connects to the RV requires a different connection not a twist lock. You can find it here http://www.etrailer.com/Plumbing/Lippert-Components/LC359724.html

Jim,

LCI bought Waste Master, a related system. Polychute was the retail packaged product where Waste Master was the OEM product. Now Wastemaster is being sold at retail by LCI and perhaps other retailers. BTW - the latest Waste Master hose is the toughest yet.

Tombstonejim

Myself and several others here in the park were having problems with what appeared to be pin holes in the hose. We all went thru several hoses and even the best ones we could buy kept getting holes. We finally found the problem. It was birds pecking holes in the things for some reason. The worst of the lot seemed to be some kind of thrush. I had to build a cover for mine out of plastic gutter to keep the things from making the holes.

danemayer

As soon as he lifted the hose, it came loose from the coupling spaying you know what all over.
Maybe the title of the thread should be "Tighten the hose clamp properly if you're assembling the sewer hose yourself."

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Jim,

LCI bought Waste Master, a related system. Polychute was the retail packaged product where Waste Master was the OEM product. Now Wastemaster is being sold at retail by LCI and perhaps other retailers. BTW - the latest Waste Master hose is the toughest yet.

I think you are right tht Wastemaster was making the Polychute product. Don't know why (maybe it was a financial issue) they quit. Or probably because LCI bought them and didn't want the competition. If we are not careful Lippert, Thor and Dometic will be the only ones in the RV supply chain. :)