Draining Hot Water tank

Mattman

2 questions.

First: when you guys get done with a trip do you drain your hot water heater?

Second: My previous mini lite I had was new to me. PO installed hose fitting with a spin valve on it. I tried to do the same thing to my BRS, but not enough room around the gas line and regulator. Question is if you have done anything similar what worked for you?
I was going to look at a butterfly valve dimensions but think it might be to much as well. With the hose fitting you could attach a small hose to the tank and drain it away from the camper. So want to try and accomplish that again.

Lynn1130

Yes. Leaving water in the tank in Arizona will give you a lot of black, stinky water in a few days. I am not familiar with your unit but I generally open the pressure valve and a faucet and the low water line valves and allow it to drain the entire system.

mlpeloquin

If leaving water in the tank in Arizona will give you a lot of black stinky water in a few days, you might want to purify the water system and then drain it. I do, and flush the water system before using again so the chlorine will be purge then. Nothing will grow with the small amount of chlorinated water left in the tank and lines.

Lynn1130

If leaving water in the tank in Arizona will give you a lot of black stinky water in a few days, you might want to purify the water system and then drain it. I do, and flush the water system before using again so the chlorine will be purge then. Nothing will grow with the small amount of chlorinated water left in the tank and lines.

No I just don't leave water in the system when it is not in use. When it is in use there is not a problem. He asked if we leave water in the system once done with a trip. The answer is no. And if we did in this hot climate, no amount of chlorine in the tanks is going to last until the next trip. I am not sure you understand how hot it can get inside a stored trailer, in Arizona in or out of the sun.

And as an added note, I sanitize the system before each trip.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Reading this thread made me go outside a few minutes ago and drain the tanks on the Prowler.

Won't be using the trailer for five weeks . . .

JohnD

Will the water heater drain through the low point drains, or will I need to pull out the anode rod?

I did open the pressure valve on the water heater, plus I attached the hose to the outside shower to drain water there as well.

jnbhobe

I drain mine maybe once a year and sanitize it. Other wise It stays full of mountain spring water.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I fiil mine in May after using a flush wand, and drain it via the anode rod in October. Over the winter, in storage, I leave the anode rod loosely in the opening just to keep critters/ bugs out of it.

I do not put antifreeze in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

JohnD,
It will drain through the low points if you flip the pressure relief and open a faucet. And sometimes I forget the faucet and it still drains fine through the low points. No need to pull the rod, although that gives you a chance to see what shape it is in.

JohnD

JohnD,
It will drain through the low points if you flip the pressure relief and open a faucet. And sometimes I forget the faucet and it still drains fine through the low points. No need to pull the rod, although that gives you a chance to see what shape it is in.

I just flushed the whole system, including the hot water heater about a month ago.

Everything was fine then.

Mattman

So. My second attempt to put in a valve with a hose fitting failed. If anyone was keeping track. :p. The ball valve couldn't be screwed in. Fail. So back to factory plastic plug.

Carleen

On the note of draining the hot water tank- I did the "idiot" test this weekend and didn't die, so we will call it a success. I just winterized the trailer after using it at the lake yesterday. I was getting ready to drain the hot water tank (and I know better!). I didn't vent the pressure off and just started taking the plug/anode rod out. I use a big cheater bar to save my arms and was talking and going about my business. Finally the last thread let go and I had all 12 gallons of hot water shoot out at once. The socket and extension flew off and hit me in the shoulder, the anode rod and plug flew behind me and I was instantly wet in less than .3 seconds. I just started laughing at my own mistake. It scared the snot out of me! If I had a camera, I would have posted pictures. It doesn't matter how many times I do this, I still find myself not paying attention and making mistakes.