Driving through Yellowstone

Bighurt

We are planning a trip south this Sep, typically I avoid Cutting through Yellowstone from Livingston MT to Idaho Falls, but Am considering it as it cuts significant mileage off taking 94 to Butte and 15 south.

My concerns are road grades, traffic, and clearances?

Any suggestions?

The cut-off saves 97 miles of driving, but is it worth battling the grade pulling the RV?

Jeremy

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Last year we followed a Landmark being pulled thru Yellowstone during the month of May. There was alot of snow on the ground with ice on the roads but the rangers let the LM thru with caution. Bill had pulled over just inside of the gate and we stop to talk with him. He said he was on his way to Washington state from Indiana and running thru Yellowstone was going to save him over a day driving time. We encourage him to get in our truck to run check the pass for icy roads which were melting pretty fast so he decide to stay with his original plan. Moral of the story is yes it can be done, just be careful of the time of year.

TNT

We are currently staying in West Yellowstone and have been here since Saturday. There is road construction from Norris to Madison in the park. If you can avoid this road driving through, then by all means do so. If you have to use that road, don't. Not only does the road close at at 10:00 pm, there is only one lane for a couple of miles which could cause a 30 min delay and the road is dirt for most of it. I don't think I would take my fifth wheel through it. Good Luck!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jeremy, we will be driving on 20 from Idaho falls in 10 days. We take 20 to 191 and go north into Bozman. Saves alot of driving time. Will let you know what we find. We do not go on 20 as far as the west gate to Yellowstone

Bighurt

Yeah Google maps says to take 20 through west and down the hill on 89 north into Livingston, but that is actually into the park which costs a vehicle pass. I have been looking into 191 from Bozeman into west Yellowstone, I was hoping to hear someones comments much appriciated.

Normally I take 90 into Butte and 15 south, at 80 mph it takes almost the same time, however that's not in the truck and definitely not with a trailer. Firgured if I'm going to do 65 mph I might as well slow down and see something nice (not that I can do 65 mph through the park). Butte to Idaho Falls on 15 is long and boring...not much to look at either.

Thanks

Bob&Patty

Jeremy, take 94 to 90 to Bozman and turn left on 191 to 4 corners. Turn right on 20 and ...............zoom your in Idaho Falls in no time (about 5 hrs). Nice country to look at. Its a good 2 lane road. There are several places to get fuel between 4 corners and Idaho Falls. No Bozman pass or the Rockies to climb. Watch out for Buffalo wandering along the road. If you stay at Lake Skinner let us know. Will come over on a weekend and camp out with ya.

Bighurt

Exactly what I was thinking.

We are leaning towards Skinner, Lake Elsinore marina called yesterday but the lady was kinda rude...

I'll keep a visit in mind.

Jeremy

Bob&Patty

Lake Smellsomor is OK. Still not the best area in town. Skinner is closer to the 215 to go to Moreno Valley and it is in Murrieta.

wdk450

Gang:
We are looking at a possible 2 month trip to Tetons/Yellowstone/Glacier in September/October (after the summer vacation crowds are gone). Does anyone know if the Yellowstone road work will be done by then? Has anyone done a trip in these months, and did you encounter severe cold and snow?

Thanks for the advice!

CRLYHDS

Last year we went to Yellowstone the first week of October and had snow. We went to Glacier in August and they had snow in the higher elevations. The website on the road work is keep up to date at the Yellowstone park web site so you can check on the road work. Just sharing our experience you just never know.

Bob&Patty

Bill, write this down somewhere. It's an old saying in Montana. "If you don't like the weather now...just wait 10 minutes...it will change". It can snow in July. We have driven thru West Yellowstone on I-20 in April and there is snow along side the road, but they keep the roads clean. If it is snowing hard they will close the Bozman Pass on I-90. If you get anywhere close to Canada anything can happen.

Normally, all the road work is performed in the summer months while it's still warm. It can snow in September but my daughter will start getting snow around Halloween. She lives in Montana.

My 2ct's

TNT

The construction in the park started last summer and doesn't look like it will be done for a while. They are building a whole new road into the mountains. I think when they are done with the patch they are working on, they will on to another. Best of luck on your trip in the fall. I am considering coming back to, the fishing is sooo much better.

hoefler

Last Sept., we headed into Yellowstone out of Cody on Hwy 20 with or 06 Landmark in tow. The Big Horn was under heavy constructuion. They were cutting a new road through. We traveled over 22 miles in wet gravel. Very rough, I average between 3 and 8 mph, trying not to shake things up too much. Took us 3 1/2 hours to get through. I had the heat alarm going off in my 08 Dodge 3500, at such a slow pace, the trnasmission would not stay in second gear. The torque convertor doesn't lock up in first. No where to pull over, with I don't know how many people behind us, I stopped and shifted into 4 wd low. We started out again, the transmission almost immediatly went to 5th gear, and stayed there. With in 2 miles, the alarm went out and the temp was falling like a rock. I drove the last 8 or 9 miles in 4 wd. Coming down the back side was well worth the aggrevation of climbing the Big Horn.

mtmax

We are planning a trip south this Sep, typically I avoid Cutting through Yellowstone from Livingston MT to Idaho Falls, but Am considering it as it cuts significant mileage off taking 94 to Butte and 15 south.

My concerns are road grades, traffic, and clearances?

Any suggestions?

The cut-off saves 97 miles of driving, but is it worth battling the grade pulling the RV?

Jeremy

We just returned from the park a few hours ago. Norris Junction to Madison Junction is experiencing 30 minute delays with traffic being choked down to 1 lane. There was HEAVY traffic in the park this trip as it is the heart of tourist season. We prefer to go to the park in September as the crowds thin but I can also tell you that sometimes during these months the traffic is horrendous as well. If your looking to shave the 97 miles by going through the park it is not likely worth it this trip. Traffic, Construction, 45mph speed limit in the park, narrow roads, more traffic, and then more construction (hey its Montana). Save the headache and stay on 90 until 15.