DS31 sways at highway speed

pegmikef

Yeah, read item one on page five where it talks about raising the trailer and tow vehicle for loaded trailers. You may just have to use a different link on your chain.

justafordguy

Yeah, read item one on page five where it talks about raising the trailer and tow vehicle for loaded trailers. You may just have to use a different link on your chain.

That's the way I hook up the bars already but maybe I just need to jack it up a little more and try to catch one more link. I'll try it next time I tow but it will be a few weeks because I'm in the middle of doing some mods on the TT right now. I'll let you guys know if it makes any difference. Thanks for all the help.

justafordguy

I towed about 50 miles yesterday with one more link tight on the bars and although it did seem to make the dips in the road smother, it didn't seem to help the sway. I added a second friction type sway control bar and it may have helped some. One thing I did notice is that my WDH makes some awful noises with one extra link tight. Is this normal?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I towed about 50 miles yesterday with one more link tight on the bars and although it did seem to make the dips in the road smother, it didn't seem to help the sway. I added a second friction type sway control bar and it may have helped some. One thing I did notice is that my WDH makes some awful noises with one extra link tight. Is this normal?

A little popping or squeaking is normal when maneuvering in a parking lot or campground. When backing into a spot, be sure to release the tension or remove the friction type anti sway control. Another thing to check is the tire pressures all around. Low tires can enhance any swaying.

justafordguy

It's makeing a loud groaning/creaking sound during any slow movement, even straight. If I back off one link on the chains it stops. Once I get going I can't hear it anymore but my truck has loud exhaust so it may be covering the sound. All tires on TT and TV are checked before any trip.

justafordguy

I just got back from a 4 day trip and here's what I have discovered so far. On the trip out I tightened the bars to 3 links hanging. The hitch made a ton of noise the whole way. It creaks and groans the whole time but the ride was very smooth. On the trip back I left only two links hanging and the hitch was quiet but it does bounce much more when going over bumps and dips. The bar tension didn't seem to have any effect on the sway over 60mph but the second friction type sway control bar sure does. I can go 70 without sway now and it feels more stable at all speeds. I still get movement when there are gusts of wind or large trucks passing but it doesn't feel unstable. I think I can live with the current stability setup and I'll just let it bounce inless there is a way to stop all the creaking/groaning with the bars tight.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a 2013 Trail Runner TR22RK, and I pull it with a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4 x 4 with WD hitch and sway bar setup.

It pulls great as long as I keep the speed at 65 mph or less, but starts swaying if I go faster!

I read in an article about trailer tires that they are not meant to go faster than 65 mph, so I have kept my speed at that since I read that article.

Also, make sure you have 10-ply tires on your tow rig!

NewCamperTruck-P9110306.jpg

TheLindsays

Welcome Ford Guy in Fl... ... we pull with a 2012 F250 and noticed a little sway when we first got ours and found the sway system recommended and installed by the dealer was really borderline for our rated loaded weight so we had them order the next system up and have not had any issues.. its a 2 bar system.. also if we have a lot of fluids on board feels a little weird so we always try to be as fluid empty as possible...we also have air bags on the truck..... sometimes I even forget the trailer is back there .. look in my mirror and think some idiot is riding my bumper...lol... also the speed thing is a factor not only for control but the tires especially in the heat we are travelling in down here in Fl... and...love your Ford list... its all we drive... current list... 1994 Bronco, 2003 F150 Lightning .. and 2012 F250 SD.. thinking about the new Tremor... may have give up the Lightning..lol... we are in the Brandon area... so may see you around some time in travels... have fun camping!

justafordguy

Welcome Ford Guy in Fl... ... we pull with a 2012 F250 and noticed a little sway when we first got ours and found the sway system recommended and installed by the dealer was really borderline for our rated loaded weight so we had them order the next system up and have not had any issues.. its a 2 bar system.. also if we have a lot of fluids on board feels a little weird so we always try to be as fluid empty as possible...we also have air bags on the truck..... sometimes I even forget the trailer is back there .. look in my mirror and think some idiot is riding my bumper...lol... also the speed thing is a factor not only for control but the tires especially in the heat we are travelling in down here in Fl... and...love your Ford list... its all we drive... current list... 1994 Bronco, 2003 F150 Lightning .. and 2012 F250 SD.. thinking about the new Tremor... may have give up the Lightning..lol... we are in the Brandon area... so may see you around some time in travels... have fun camping!

Sorry I've been offline a while but thanks for the reply. Since my last post I have added air bags to the F250 and added a solar system with a 4 battery bank to the Pioneer. The added tounge weight and leveling out the truck with the bags seems to have really helped with towing stability. I keep the speed under 70 and it does fine.

10-4, nothing but Fords for us.:) That's a nice Ford and trailer you have. I'd like to see that 94 Bronco too, I'm a Broncoholic.

Hope to see ya at camp soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 22

priorguy

Heartland RV aquired the Prowler name over a year ago when Prowler went bankrupt. They have been making them since. Previously Prowler was not manufactured by Heartland RV.

Heartland purchased the rights to the Fleetwood towables brands. So far Wilderness, Prowler, and now Pioneer have been used. How long before we see a Terry Taurus or Terry Resort?

As to the original question by the Op. You need to play around with the hitch until it's right. Ball height and angle play a key role in ride. I don't think the Eaz-Lift has chain links to adjust. Another note, you setup us for 14,000 pounds but your trailer is max 9000. Could be too strong for the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk