DSI Control Board

martarse

Hi,

Last summer the DSI Control Board for the Water Heater stop working at 3 times on my EDGE M22 2011. The local vendor replace it two times at the begining of the season but the last time it stop working was to late in the season to replace it before I winterized the RV for the winter season.

I plan to going back to the vendor with the problem but I want to know what kind of problem can make the DSI Board stop working ? No signal seems to get out from the DSI board. The water heater dont work on the both two power source (12v and Gas). The vendor told me that the problem can occurs when 120VAC is unstable on different Camping ground but I don't trust that answer knowing that the DSI board is working on 12V. All other 12V devices works properly.

When I bypassed the DSI Control Board, (putting 12v in the Water heater heating element) the water heater works properly. It's my exit bypass when the problem occurs on a camping ground.

One last question, last summer when the local vendor change the DSI board they has installed two differents DSI control. The last one have the number MPD 93305,it's a different number from the original DSI model number that I have. Some one know if I can put any model of Control Board ? What is the specification of that control board ?

The last thing, where I can buy those DSI Control board? because my local vendor bill me near 300$ at the first time I purchase the DSI. I think it's a little bit pricy!

Thanks for your help!

Martin
Quebec, Canada

jimtoo

Hi martarse,, Martin,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Hopefully some of our other members will jump in soon with some info for you.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

danemayer

Hi martarse,

You didn't mention whether you have an Atwood or a Suburban. They use different approaches to control operation. The model # would be helpful too.

I'm a little confused by your post. Most water heaters work on either 120V AC (for the electric heating element) or Propane (with 12V DC for the control board and gas valve). So I don't know how you could have bypassed the control board by applying 12V directly to the heating element to get it working. If you mean you applied 120V AC directly to the heating element, and it worked, that would tell me that there's a power interruption between the switch inside, and the heating element. If you have a Suburban Water Heater, we have a troubleshooting guide that may help you figure out what's wrong. Here's a link. It's a little more complicated on an Atwood.

On Suburban units, the 120V AC side is completely separate from the 12V DC side, so I don't think unstable campground power would affect the control board. On Atwood units, it's possible that external power problems could cause damage.

You should think about getting an Electrical Management System to protect your RV from unstable electric problems. Here's one by Progressive Industries.

Boards cost $100-130 (U.S.) from Amazon.com. To find the part number, you'll probably have to go to the manufacturers website and use your model # to find the replacement part numbers.

martarse

Hi Dan,

Sorry for my late answer. I'll check the exact model number and post it here. It may be possible that I made a mistake on my last description. I'll double check my setup and let you know.

thanks for your link for owner manual.

Martin