Dual Alternator Option on Tow Vehicle

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jim,
I carried my panels out for a few months, but switched gears and permanently mounted the panels on the roof.

The reasons were threefold;

Carrying, moving and securing in wind became a hassle.

If they are sitting out unattended in plain site, more of a chance they may grow legs and walk away.

Last, you are not getting any charge while driving, so I was not taking full advantage of the charge capability of the system. Trace

Last edited:

DirtyMax88

Thanks everyone for all your posts, I appreciate it! We went Saturday and got us a new truck, picked on with the single alternator.

caissiel

I do a check of my duals by disconnecting one at a time and checking the voltage of the connected one. My duals are only for spare availability.
With batteries down I only saw 23 amps to the trailer with my increased power line. The trailer batteries would go dead after 3 days of travel in cold weather.

With solar they are fully charged all the time.

Bohemian

People have previously said on this forum that they got the dual alternators to keep their 5th wheel batteries charged. They also said they added a power line in the truck to carry the higher current back to the 5th wheel.

MikeR

I haven't found anyone to give me a definitive answer as to whether either of dual alternators on the Ford will continue to work if either of them failed. But, I have yet to hear of any of the 6.7 alternators failing.

I used to own a 2000 7.3L F-250 with dual alternators. At about 200k on the odometer, the main alternator failed and the secondary alternator was not charging the TV batteries. I was able to make it to a Ford dealer while operating on batteries only. I know the electronics in my 2012 are a lot more sophistacated, so I'm not sure if a system would charge off of the secondary generator or not. I have the snow plow option with the heavy duty alternator in my current truck.