Dual pane windows

Bobby A

thanks Jim for your time and research in this issue and also to ct0218 for your knowledgable insite. I think I'll do without the tint !!
Bobby A

ct0218

Bobby
Probably a good decision. My windows are Hehr, so no problem tinting. Using the shades or adding awnings would be the way to go now. As I said, you've got a much better window. I'm really surprised that Landmark have gone to an IG unit, or that they are even available in RV's of this price. I had seen them only in really expensive motor homes prior to this. I don't have any percentages of seal failures when the film is applied to IG units but I do know that the mirror tint was far worse than just a dark tint. Most of the major window companies have one or more types of factory tinting now, along with low-e 2 glazing. As a builder in FL I ran into all kinds of problems with windows and tint film.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
a couple more question

Ray, tell me more about this heat reflective tint ?? do you also have dual pane windows ??

Caddojay, Do you also have dual pane windows with this extra tint added ??

The reason why I ask, I think I've read on another post and maybe even on another forum, that if you add tint to dual pane windows it is not good for the windows and creates seal failure and also voids the manufacture warranty. What do you/anyone know about this ??

Thanks,
Bobby A
I hadn't heard of the potential problems with this but yes, I do have dual panes. After completing the rear window I used a non contact thermometer and while the sun was shining on both the rear and the side corner window in our 3400RL there was a significant difference in the temperature between the two. I dont remember the exact number. I could even feel the difference by touch. The Gila website didn't indicate any potential problems using their film on the inside of dual panes either. Here is a link to the film I used and bought at Home Depot. http://www.gilafilms.com/Residential/window-film-heat-platinum.htm