Dually Daily Driver??

rgwilliams69

Oil changes on the new trucks are getting quite interesting though - on my previous 2011 F250 the advice from the factory and shop was to let the computer tell you when to change it. At 28,000 miles I was just getting ready to pop for the third oil change before I traded it in, and managed to score a discount coupon for the diesel service at $39.95 for the two previous changes. Now I'm hearing that on the new Rams the oil change interval will be recommended at 15,000 miles? Anyway that old adage of "oil changes on the diesels cost more in the long run" might be out the window if you only have to change it 6 or 7 times in 100,000 miles. Nice! Can't argue with you on fuel costs though. Diesel is currently more than $1 more per gallon than regular unleaded here in our part of Illinois. Crooks I say, crooks!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Just drove from Northern Virginia to south Arkanssa in ours. Got 16.8 MPG, while averaging 68 MPH. Cost a little more than the car would have, but the extra room for the pups to travel with us and the large cargo space was priceless.

datedd

Lower you TV costs by turning off most of the insurance, fill the fuel tank and don't drive it. Did that for two seasons and it saved a ton of money while driving a smaller car as a daily driver.

We've had up to 4 cars and it's a ridiculous waste of money and insurance. We are down to three and it will stay that way. However, my wife's car is a '98 Z28 which she won't part with. Her DD is a Toyota Yaris. I've offered to buy her a new Camaro and trade in the two, but she won't budge and om not going to force her. I drive an HHR which I plan to trade up for the dually. I'm not going to keep the HHR and just park the truck in the driveway so it can rot. Vehicles are meant to be driven not sitting. I may as well buy a motorhome which is the same thing and why I no longer own one.

lwmcguir

Used our F550 on the road prior to the F350 we currently use to travel. Don't miss the F550 at all even though the large cab was great, just to many issues in lanes where there wasn't enough room to maneuver without crowing curbs. The long box still give you the length issue and we park on the perimeter like you other folks but overall it is worth the effort and works for us.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
The back camera using the radio screen is awesome. And on the DRW the "lines on the screen" match the track for the outer tires. I can back up and come within a 1/2" or less of an object with the rear bumper.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
The back camera using the radio screen is awesome. And on the DRW the "lines on the screen" match the track for the outer tires. I can back up and come within a 1/2" or less of an object with the rear bumper.

Absolutely agree, love the backup camera using the nav screen. I just wish we had god view like the infinity's.

datedd

I test drove an F350 the other day to get a sense of how it felt. Loved it. Not much different than the srw and when I went to park it in the stall, it whipped right in there with ease. I was very impressed with the turning on this drw.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I test drove an F350 the other day to get a sense of how it felt. Loved it. Not much different than the srw and when I went to park it in the stall, it whipped right in there with ease. I was very impressed with the turning on this drw.

You must of drove a skateboard before test driving a new f350. It is pretty horrible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

oscar

Been driving SuperMax as a daily driver for 4 weeks now..... Not bad at all. But, the fat rear sticks out....more than you think. Don't ask.... Bottom (haha) line: If the mirror doesn't fit the *** don't fit.....

Getting some body molding to match the doors to cover up the small boo boo on the rear fender....:(

Last edited by a moderator:

rgwilliams69

I know what you mean about the mirrors. I have a 4 car garage with one stall double deep, so that's three individual doors. I park the F350 DRW in the double-deep stall but have to pull up to the door, turn in the motorized mirrors, edge past the door, turn out the motorized mirrors, and then carefully watch the DRW flares to make sure I do not hit them on the garage door frame. Delicate operation with just a few inches on either side. I am getting used to it, but it is quite the ballet putting it in, and then of course doing everything in reverse to get it out. :) I had to pour some extra concrete on the driveway to this door in order to facilitate the turn radius from the street into the driveway without having to turn into the driveway, back up to line up, and then go on in. These are BIG trucks. I only have about 4 inches of clearance on the top as well.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I know what you mean about the mirrors. I have a 4 car garage with one stall double deep, so that's three individual doors. I park the F350 DRW in the double-deep stall but have to pull up to the door, turn in the motorized mirrors, edge past the door, turn out the motorized mirrors, and then carefully watch the DRW flares to make sure I do not hit them on the garage door frame. Delicate operation with just a few inches on either side. I am getting used to it, but it is quite the ballet putting it in, and then of course doing everything in reverse to get it out. :) I had to pour some extra concrete on the driveway to this door in order to facilitate the turn radius from the street into the driveway without having to turn into the driveway, back up to line up, and then go on in. These are BIG trucks. I only have about 4 inches of clearance on the top as well.

I wanted a 3 car garage and I wanted the center bay to accommodate the DRW truck. Thinking this, the center bay is 10' wide, 8' high. Looking back, I wish I would have made it wider. With the mirrors out, I only have a few inches to spare on each side, or it feels like only a few inches. Always a little cautious backing in.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 52

scottyb

Well, I have became a dually owner and it will be my daily driver. It will probably see 35K / year, daily offroads use, 4x4 use 2-3 times / week. As far as I can tell, the turning radius may be equal to or a little better than my 3500HD. Either way, I will adapt, and propbably still have to make multiple point turns in some tight pipeline right of ways.

mmomega

AnyTimer
My F350 DRW is my daily driver 90% of the time. You get used to the wide hips and where you can and shouldn't park within the first week. The only times I take the wife's Mercedes SUV is if I know I will have to park in those "short" parking garages, which I can count how many times I choose to drive her car on one hand.

Most of the parking spots at the stores here in TX (just S. of DFW) are large enough that I only take one spot and I back in a majority of the time, the back-up camera can be helpful at times.

There have been times last summer where I would go outside to get in my truck and my wife had already taken it and left her car because I have the AC seats which she calls her booty coolers.