E/SE going to Gillette...not a lot of interest?

Tool958

Re: Not a lot of interest

Since you have asked. No for us, too far. I do a simple math test for the longer trips. Total mileage/10*3.5 for fuel.
Gillette would be one of the those once in a decade trips if possible, I couldn't do it without adding in a bunch of other places to see out west.
Now, if it was closer in time to Sturgis..................

We were seriously thinking about going to the National ourselves, next year. Been wanting to go to Sturgis for years. Decided to do that instead and take in all of the sights while we're out that way. We will have about 3 1/2 weeks of vacation, so it will be a vacation of a lifetime for us. Hope to make the National in 2013 since it will be much closer to home.

Lou_and_Bette

Rodbuster, my wife and I are planning to go to Gillette and will be coming from the Southeast, Mississippi coast. We are taking in the TN/KY chapters rally, look at rallies for Southaven, MS, and then headed the 1300+ miles to Gillette. Plan on going via i_55 from Memphis to St Louis, I-70 to Kansas City, MO, I-29 to Sioux Falls, SD, and then I-90 all the way to Gillette. Leaving MS on 4 June so plan to go about 400 miles per day for first 3 days leaving 100+ miles for last day's push. I think there will be others at the Southaven rally going to Gillette afterrwards and you may be able to hook up with one of us. As was said in a movie once "baby steps" is all it takes.

Lou

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader

Right now there are three rigs traveling from New Jersey and one (that I know of) from PA to the Rally with two of them going to Cody afterwards. Yes I agree it is a long trip but we only live once and it is a big beautiful country to see. We will be looking out for other Heartland units on the way.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years

Tom and Mary

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

I do a simple math test for the longer trips. Total mileage/10*3.5 for fuel.[/QUOTE said:
Duane,
Can you please elaborate on your formula? What is your cut off point? Went right past me. Trace

porthole

Retired

Duane,
Can you please elaborate on your formula? What is your cut off point? Went right past me. Trace

Using Gillette for the example. It is 1900 miles one way.
3800 miles divided by 10 (average MPG) times 3.5 (my guess for a gallon of diesel) = $1300 plus, just for fuel.

I don't really have a cut off, each trip is judged on its own merits.

The Wyoming trip would be nice, if I could afford the time and money to see all the sights out there.
Just running 1900 miles out and back for a 5 day rally is too hard to justify. Doesn't mean I won't do it if things change.

I'd rather do two trips half that distance.

jjwink

We had a great time at the rally in Goshen last summer but will not be attending the 2012. We left Goshen last summer and headed to Alaska so after that trip -15,000 miles in 3 months - we are staying home next summer. Look forward to 2013 back in Goshen.