Effingham, Illinois to Elkhart, Indiana thru Chicago or Terre Haute?

8amps

Hello HOCers,
We're stopped for the night and are driving to the Heartland Service center tomorrow. GPS routes us though outskirts of Chicago, says it's 25 minutes faster. Was planning on going thru Terre Haute and around Indianapolis and North on 31.
Anyone travel this lately? Road conditions, special considerations, etc?

VKTalley

Hello HOCers,
We're stopped for the night and are driving to the Heartland Service center tomorrow. GPS routes us though outskirts of Chicago, says it's 25 minutes faster. Was planning on going thru Terre Haute and around Indianapolis and North on 31.
Anyone travel this lately? Road conditions, special considerations, etc?

I'd be incline to go the Terre Haute/Indy route but instead of US 31N (has been in a huge construction project), check out I-69 (I think) towards Ft. Wayne. That is the usual route most of us take to Goshen for National Rally.

Garypowell

We just drove to Elkhart at the end of June for repairs and are going back in September to refix something. Came up 65 and spent the night in a KOA east of Indianapolis then drove the 3 hours straight north of Indianapolis to Elkhart. Very few problems that route.

No no real rest stops north of Indianapolis but the shoulder is wide the one time we decided to stop. And mostly 4 lane but not limited access.

GWRam

I would follow your plan thru Indy, then VKTalley route up I69.
On US31N the last hour or so the drive was so rough it ripped the refrigerator out of the slide out. That was 8 months ago.
We had to add an extra item to our service center repair list.

Niles

We travel 31 a lot, the construction is done down by Indy. Farther north you get into some but just small stuff. Once you get on 31 there are no stop lights till you get to old 47. Pass this it's pretty good, one more at division rd in Tipton Co. The light at sr 28 is gone building a bridge over 31. One piece of advice I have is SLOW DOWN for the railroad crossings. There is a bypass around Kokomo and pass there is are few lights till you get to 20. Travel safe.

MTPockets

I've driven both routes dozens of times (lived in Ft Wayne 18 yrs). I-69 ma be a smidgen faster, but 31 is more scenic (as far as flat farmland can get). Flip a coin.

8amps

Hi all! We were near Indianapolis when we had to decide which way to go. According to our GPS, going 69 would've added an hour to the trip, so we opted to go 31 since we were trying to get to Elkhart before Heartland closed (we did). I noticed nothing unusually rough but it looks like they'd done road work so maybe it's smoother now - or after traveling as many miles as we have, our expectations are lower :) - but we had no problems. I did know to slow way down for railroad tracks so thanks for the heads up on that.
Thanks everyone for getting us there safe & sound.

GWRam

Thank you for the feed back. Glad to hear 31 has been worked on and smooth. We will probably go that route to the rally in June.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk