Electric Awnings

Wharton

I am sure you have one in a drawer someplace. It has all your manuals and warranty cards in it. Fairly thick.

pegmikef

I have the carefree awning and thought their website was good until I've read this. I, too, did not receive an awning strap and there are no such emergency instructions in the documentation or on the web site. Does anyone have any experience retracting the carefree if the motor fails. They did, however, include a nice cable set and instructions to hook it up if the wireing or trailer power source fails (a lot of good that does if it is the motor that's toasted). Thanks and I'm going to get a strap.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
My SOB has a electric awning and it came with a strap. It's not much and it might have been tossed out except my dealer pointed it out. It is about 5 or 6 feet long and about 1 inch thick. Mine is black in color. I have never needed it since the awning works fine even after 3 years. I would check around and see if it's in your rigs.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Blue Owner's bag, that's a new one for me. What's supposed to be in the bag? I might have to call Heartland as I didn't get one of those and would really like to have the strap for when the awning motor fails.
Your rig should had a blue vinyl bag with all the owners manuals for all the different appliances and such. Furnace, refer, fans, water heater, TV etc.
If you didn't get one, contact your dealer.

Peace
Dave

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Love the electric awning. We have had trailers with a manual and rarely used the awning due to the amount of effort it took to put it back up(2 people needed). Since we won't leave the trailer with the awning extended if we are not there we find the electric is wonderful, just push a button and it is extended or retracted. We use it much more frequently now.

We replaced our manual with a new electric for this very same reason...we too use our electric much more often than we used the old manual...except here in the RGV, of course...LOL!!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I got the strap from Camping World, so now my question to the experienced electric awning folks is should I install it now before the awning fails and leave it rolled up in the awning (like a manual awning), or wait until I need it and just keep the strap with my other spares?
Why have that thing dangling down in your face all the time. Stow it and install it if you need it. You may never need it. JMHO.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
As Dave said. It's only useful if the awning motor crooks when the awning is extended. If it's rolled up and fails to extend, it's service time. Per the owner's manual, it is NOT recommended that you try to use it like a manual awning until you get around to having it repaired.

pegmikef

Ok, thanks, that's what I'll do. I haven't heard of anybody having a problem with the motor dying with the awning halfway extended/retracted (in which case it would be kind of hard to install the strap). I like the idea of it being under one of my seats with my fuses, valves, etc., rather than having it flop around when the awning is extended.

rick_debbie_gallant

I have had some experience with the electric motor on my rig for the awning. While in Texas this past winter we had the motor crap out on us, gasp with the awning fully extended. after "bumping" it with a rubber mallet it rolled back . Then one day I thought, let me see if it still works. I made the mistake of trying it, only this time part way. You got it, crap out time again. Being somewhat of a "diy" kind of guy I was not going to let this beat me. So I got the motor off the arm.

I took the thing apart on the picnic table. Broke it all the way down to the armature. Ya know what I found? The wire to the brushes was way to tight and restricting the movement of the brushes. aftercorrecting the tightness of the wire the brushes worked real well as well as the motor.

Lou_and_Bette

Hello all, we recently got our Road Warrior 405RW and on purchase spent 3 days in the RV area of the dealership trying out everything in every mode to try and detect/fix any minor issues since the dealership is over 600 miles from our home. the one thing I didn't get to operate was the awing since the winds in Fort Worth, TX were pretty strong for the entire 3 days. I recently operated the awing, Dometic, for the first time and it seems to work OK but I was wondering if I was not doing something since the fabric is not tight at all. As the awing unrolls and the arms extend, once it gets to the end of the fabric the mechanism starts to reroll the fabric in the opposite direction without making the fabric taut. Is this the way it should be or do I need to do something else to tighten the fabric?

ultrafarmer

That is what you get with the electric. I dont like mine, just a mild wind and it wants to blow up in the air and rip off. They are a joke.