Electric hot water issue-update

jnbhobe

I think its something really simple, I would start over from the beginning and retest everything with a good meter. This system is really just basics.

wdk450

I did check the white wire to the element with the electricity off. I was unable to check the element with the electricity on because the ground is not visible and I am unsure where to find it. I did check the breaker, both switches and thermostat with power off and i'm getting good continuity. I'm kind of at a loss. Going to call suburban on Monday. Not sure if i'm missing something or the problem is somewhere I can't get. Just might be a bad unit. But I hate to waste the time and money towing it in as I full time in my camper. Kind of disappointing as the RV is less than 6 months old.

Ash:
There should be 2 screw terminals on the end of the element where the hot and neutral wires connect. There is no ground wire, the water heater metal tank is attached to ground at another point, and the metal screw threads on the heating element connect this ground.

patrick1945

Same thing happened to me and I did everything I could imagine BUT. Even though the little switch on the side of the water heater was on IT WAS FAULTY and once I replaced it all was fine.

ash

Well, I replaced the rocker switch and no luck. Still no hot water. Tried called suburban, but of course they are closed for the holidays. Guess I'll try again next week. Would really like to get it fixed so I'm not using all my propane heating the water in the cold weather.

dfowler

I am having the same problem and I did everything you have done. Then I asked one of the technicians where I bought my RV and he suggested the following: Look under the kitchen sink (if that is where your tank is located). Between the hot water hose and the cold water hose is a short hose. This short hose has a valve on it. I was told to make sure the valve is closed. When I checked mine, sure 'nuff, the valve was open. I closed it and now I will see what happens. You might check this and see if it solves your problem.

rick_debbie_gallant

If you have an outside shower is it turned off. Rocker switch "on" in the heater access behind the door. How about the gfi circut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meandg

crawgator
Alaska Dodge is the fuse you are talking about outside by the heater? We are having the issue of the gas works and the electric does not. I am reading through for ideas. All are much appreciated.

Westwind

I surprised that no one has mentioned the Thermostat, on our Suburban we have a gas thermostat and a electric thermostat, we had the electric crap out on us after 3 months of use and had to have it replaced in warranty. Camping World checked everything under the sun, all of it checked out and after waiting 8 hours they finally said " yes your right it is the thermostat". Suburban got worked over on that one.

I am a newbie and having problems with my hot water heater. It is a Bighorn 2013 and thinking about it I don't think we have ever had hot water. It is warm and the cold , warm and then cold. Yes the by pass if off , the switch it on it the heater area, it does seem to work on the 12 v side but it is still just warm. I am not electrical so is there any suggestions.

donr827

When I had that happen to me the problem was the outside shower was slightly open. Turned it completely off and all was good.
Don

I checked out the shower knobs and walla they were on , I thought they were off. Hallelujah I had hot water. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

DocFather

Alaska Dodge is the fuse you are talking about outside by the heater? We are having the issue of the gas works and the electric does not. I am reading through for ideas. All are much appreciated.

Same issue for me. Electric side = 112 degrees at the pressure relief valve. Gas side = 136 degrees at the relief valve. I am wondering if I am getting 120v to the heater. Brand new 4100

aatauses

I just helped a friend with his water heater (the trouble shooting manual was a great help)----however I have a few questions concerning the electrical side. We had no power to the element or at the hi limit or the thermostat. We had power to the rocker switch, but only on one leg (when it was in the on position) so we replaced the rocker switch and the element then had power---however we did not have power to the hi limit or the thermostat??? Did I check it properly?? putting a lead on one of the connections and then to a ground?? Would I not have power if the water was hot (he had been using propane for a few days? Just wanted to know for future knowledge.
thanks
al
currently in Surprise, AZ

danemayer

I just helped a friend with his water heater (the trouble shooting manual was a great help)----however I have a few questions concerning the electrical side. We had no power to the element or at the hi limit or the thermostat. We had power to the rocker switch, but only on one leg (when it was in the on position) so we replaced the rocker switch and the element then had power---however we did not have power to the hi limit or the thermostat??? Did I check it properly?? putting a lead on one of the connections and then to a ground?? Would I not have power if the water was hot (he had been using propane for a few days? Just wanted to know for future knowledge.
thanks
al
currently in Surprise, AZ

Hi Al,

When the water is hot, the thermostat interrupts power so that the water doesn't continue getting heated above the 130 or 140 degrees. So you should be able to read 110V on both sides of the thermostat/ECO assembly when the water is cold. BUT, as the water gets hot, the thermostat opens, and you wouldn't see voltage, except on the terminal coming from the rocker switch.

wdk450

Same issue for me. Electric side = 112 degrees at the pressure relief valve. Gas side = 136 degrees at the relief valve. I am wondering if I am getting 120v to the heater. Brand new 4100

I don't know which water heater you have, but the Suburban models use 2 different thermostats for 110 volt AC electric operation, and propane operation. The propane operation is controlled by a 12 volt circuit. Thus the 2 different thermostats could be somewhat different. They are non-adjustable temperature snap switches located on the same assembly as the reset buttons. I think that Suburban offers a couple of choices on temperatures other than the standard ones. Check with a propane supplier who services Suburban, or an RV appliance repairer.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I recently replaced the 12V thermostat. Suburban has either a 130 or a 140 degree version available. I used the 140 since that was the only one the local RV dealer had. I spoke with Suburban and was told having the 130 on one side and the 140 on the other would do no harm.