Electrical

I have a 2023 Heartland Northtrail 24BHS.
Used 2times 1 summer when we bought and 1 Winter when we moved to TN. Problem A/C won’t come on did a test on the circuit and reading came up OL which means no power running from breaker which is fine and fuse too to unit, so there is a break in the line. Remember only used A/C once! So how does this happen? Tried to trace the line but it runs under the trailer up a wall to the unit. Had a RV tech come out and said also there is a break in the line. Heartland is no help and this is a warranty issue. Any thoughts to a solution.

wdk450

The air conditioners pull about 12 amps, so this is going to be a moderately sized piece of romex 3 conductor wire. In trying to trace the wiring, were you just doing a visual check? There are inexpensive "sniffer" wire tracers that detect the radiated 60 cycle power from the hot wire of a cable. It could be possible that your neutral wire is open, and a AC sniffer won't detect that. There are "hunter-tracker" wire testing kits available at Home Improvement stores electrical tools sections, along with the sniffers. The most usual cause of wiring opens reported in RV's is wire nuts coming apart inside junction boxes, many of these being located underneath the trailer, so open and inspect as many of these boxes as you can find.

rhodies1

Make sure you disconnect the shore power before checking these electrical boxes. Don’t take a chance of getting electrocuted.

rhodies1

Problem with taking the unit back. It would most likely set on the lot for a month or so before anyone looks at it. Dealers are focused on sales … not service.

mlpeloquin

When I had my 2013 Big Horn, Heartland would, prior to taking it in, approve an independent RV repair service. I did so. I asked the RV repair service to contact Heartland. They approved his repair service and it too only two days. Since I have a SOB class A, I do not know if they will do so now, but independent RV repair services do not want your RV in taking up space. They get it fixed ASAP. They rely on their reputation to get future business.

2019_V22

Using once is all it can take to reveal an issue like a short, or poor connection (break) in a junction box or similar. This is what I experienced on my first use of the camper, and water heater.

Surge_Protect (1).JPG
Surge_Protect (2).JPG

Surge_Protect (3).JPG