Emergency Brakes Working Just Fine!

Greengas

So, there I was ... (You Air Force folks should recognize that starting line as a prelude to an interesting story). I was bringing our rig back to the RV parking lot after a wonderful staycation at Cherry Creek State park. It was just the second time towing with my new Anderson Hitch. I had two side boxes mounted in the bed of my truck (the ones that fit in the space between the tail gate and the wheel hump) but one of them blocked the in bed electrical hookup. On the way to the park I just tossed the cord over the tail gate and hooked up to the electrical on the bumper. But this time I figure, what the heck, I'll figure out how to just move the box and use the in-bed hookup. So, I swung the box towards the tail gate, making sure that the pin box from the rig was clear by at least a few inches. Then I hooked the break disconnect to the spot at the rear corner of the truck, made sure all was clear and off I went. I made it all the way to the RV parking lot where I had to make a tight right hand turn and boom! It felt like I hit something with my tires. Sarah and I got out, walked around the truck, nothing. Then I looked in the bed, sure that I was going to find that the pin box hit one of the side boxes, but no, all clear. Looked again and sure enough the emergency disconnect had pulled out and the system worked like advertised. So, drop the tail gate, crawl into the bed and hook it back in. Well, as soon as I put the pin in the truck and trailer feel like they rolled backward at least 20 feet or more! (remember I said "feels like" not actually). Sarah, who is standing along side the truck grabbed the truck and with all her might brought it to a stop. Well, that and the fact that the truck was in park and the emergency break was on. After a few laughs, we reconnected the break, put the tail gate back up, and off we went again.

Just a quick note on the Anderson Hitch. Wow! It is great! Backing up with a regular 5th wheel hitch it seems to take forever for the trailer to respond to the movements of the truck. But since the Anderson Hitch is a ball hitch the trailer is instantly responsive. Just love it!

See ya'all round the camp fire!