Engineers & Bean Counters = FAIL

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I too had a axel fail. I was pulling into a gas station. The new TT was 14 months old, and also spent 6 months at the dealer during that time. The dealer would not touch it since it was past the 12 months. My roadside insurance got me moved and a supplemental insurance got me on the road after 24 hours. Just happen to cover axels and spindle's. I weighed it on the way home and it was well under the weight. Being chordal and nice to the mfg got me two new axels and the labor to put them on. They also covered my roadside out of pocket expenses. After spending a year on this forum, I found I am not alone on Quality control, and neither are you. So take heart. We have had no real problems in the last year and are looking forward to a new Heartland 5er in the near future.

Compared to how my axles are mounted, your U-bolts and suspension look like they're upside down.

Attachments

• IMG_2699.jpg
    IMG_2699.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 73

bwdt

His axles are not mounted upside down. Some axles are mounted above the spring and some are below. they welded the axle in the wrong place almost no penetration on the axle tube from the spindle and plate. I'm surprised the wheels didn't fall off when you drove it off the lot.......WOW!

Probably some guy who doesn't know how to weld.......I guess I'll be checking the axles when I pick up my new trailer in three weeks.

'Lil Guy'

It's a cheap upgrade when ordering a new trailer to add the heavier duty axels. We upgraded from 7K to 8K lbs on our BH. Not only heavier duty axels but heavier duty brakes come with it.

bwdt

It's a cheap upgrade when ordering a new trailer to add the heavier duty axels. We upgraded from 7K to 8K lbs on our BH. Not only heavier duty axels but heavier duty brakes come with it.

I believe this is true but only if available. I don't believe it is available on all heartland products. It was not listed as an option on my Traveler, it it had been it would have been a no brainer.

NYSUPstater

Don't think 8K axles were an option at time of ordering for our BC either last year. FWIW, was told as well, that having a heavier axle could translate into a rougher ride for the coach and folks may tend to add more "stuff" to the coach cuz they have beefier axles.

EWG

Compared to how my axles are mounted, your U-bolts and suspension look like they're upside down.

I don't know. I doubt that is why the axel failed. This is not a heartland trailer or Dexter axels. The guy who replaced the first axel said it was a bad weld. Lippert who made the axel uses robots to weld according to there website. The point is that they did step up to the plate and replaced both axels, and were very kind on the phone while understanding my frustration. We both think I was very lucky this happened in a parking lot and not down I-37.

RossRagan

So...if I were to decide to upgrade my axels, are they straight bolt in place or is there some welding/cutting required? My new unit is rated 6900 lb. wet and has 3500 lb axles...doesn’t leave much margin and makes me think I should always tow it dry...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksucats

I don't know about axles that light but when my 7K neverlube bearings failed, the axles Dexter sent to me had everything on them - springs, rotors, calipers, everything. They were not 'neverlube' though, I understood that to be because of the 'failure' rate they were having with the ones installed on my SOB. I understand that the ones now available are much better.

mlpeloquin

Don't think 8K axles were an option at time of ordering for our BC either last year. FWIW, was told as well, that having a heavier axle could translate into a rougher ride for the coach and folks may tend to add more "stuff" to the coach cuz they have beefier axles.

You can change to heaver rated axles and springs, but it does not up the amount of weight you can carry. The axles were set to the amount of weight the frame was designed for. The maximum you can carry is what is posted on the sticker of the trailer.

MissileMech

Re: Engineers & Bean Counters = FAIL*UPDATE*

I thought I would post an update -

I had new Dexter 5.2K axles, 12" brakes, 15" wheels and E rated tires installed, and I kept the stock springs. We just got back from our first camping trip with the new undercarriage. The trailer is very smooth over bumps and transitions and handling is greatly improved. I am really pleased with the upgrade. I will weight the trailer soon and post an update on the basic load weight (dishes, equipment, etc.) and also loaded up for a trip.

The repair tally so far is Heartland replaced the delaminating roof and fixed the black tank spray in 2017 and I replaced the axles in 2018. We really enjoyed this weekend and our trailer worked flawlessly (except for 2yr old propane hoses cracked and leaking prompting a trip to the hardware store). I am hoping we can just enjoy our trailer for a while. We try to join in on Chapter and Regional Rally's but my Minnesota in-laws have bought a trailer (they caught the bug last summer during a Yellowstone trip together) and we are going on trips to Moab, Grand Canyon, and the Black Hills all around the same dates as the rally's. There is always next year.

Terryd91

Glad to hear your back up and running! I'm going to be facing the same thing here shortly, but due to dangerously bad brake performance. my camper is 9600 gross, about 8500 loaded with out water on dexter d44 axles. Its too much weight for the glorified 3500 lb axles 10" drums to brake efficiently so i have some d60's to put on. It is sad that they run so close of margins on these, especially when you look at how small the cost difference is. But it's not just Heartland, every manufacture is doing it, same applies to build quality, they are all honestly terrible.

I just noticed my 8 month old propane lines are cracked too, but not leaking yet. Might splurge on braided SS lines so i don't have to worry for a while.

MissileMech

Good luck with the upgrades, it is too bad that with such a strong growth curve the RV industry is experiencing the mfg's aren't looking more toward reducing post sale hangover items that cost them in dollars and rep. Once you get your rig sorted it does make the experience more enjoyable.

Terryd91

Auto manufactures do the same thing. They don't pay their dealers crap to finish/repair the product for them so i likely works out profitable for them to focus over quantity over quality. I guess with the playing field being pretty flat they don't see a need to rise above the competition in terms of build quality.

Mine spent about 2 months at the dealer last summer chasing the brake issue and fixing a few warranty issues. I just noticed by shower is pulling out of the wall, either i fix it myself or give up my camper for 1-2 months and wait for a warranty repair. We have 2 trips in June so i guess its DIY time.