EoTech tsk tsk, selling faulty stuff then offering a paid update to the feds

porthole

Retired
EoTech lost a fairly large financial legal decision recently.
Besides the $27 million they got fined to the feds, there is the opportunity to get a refund on any of the affected EoTech HWS, which includes almost all of them that are a few years old and older.

There are issues with battery life and a "zero hold" in big temperature swings.

Just got my XPS3-2 authorized for return and refund.

Dennyha

I mailed back my Eotech HHS II, after filling out the return authorization form and submitting it by email. Eotech has emailed back that they have received and evaluated my return, and the refund is processing. It's been several weeks, so it shouldn't be too much longer.

porthole

Retired
I mailed back my Eotech HHS II, after filling out the return authorization form and submitting it by email. Eotech has emailed back that they have received and evaluated my return, and the refund is processing. It's been several weeks, so it shouldn't be too much longer.

Same here, got he "processing refund" notice January 15th

What is it that is faulty?

Two things, one is a battery life issue. But the main problem is loss of zero hold in wide temperature swings, and for many a loss that is compounded.

For a "wide" example, you put your patrol rifle in the trunk after a day at the range, zeroed site. Temp drops 30-40 degrees overnight and your zero shifts 1 MOA. During the day the temp climbs back up to 80 but it is 140 in your trunk. Your already off zero site shifts another 3-4 MOA, then overnight - repeat.

Apparently it has been a known issue for quite some time and there was less then ideal handling of the issue. Some, like my LEO son (armorer for his department) have known about it for some time and have been replacing all the optics on their patrol rifles.

I already replaced mine with an Aimpoint PRO

Bones

Same here, got he "processing refund" notice January 15th

Two things, one is a battery life issue. But the main problem is loss of zero hold in wide temperature swings, and for many a loss that is compounded.

For a "wide" example, you put your patrol rifle in the trunk after a day at the range, zeroed site. Temp drops 30-40 degrees overnight and your zero shifts 1 MOA. During the day the temp climbs back up to 80 but it is 140 in your trunk. Your already off zero site shifts another 3-4 MOA, then overnight - repeat.

Apparently it has been a known issue for quite some time and there was less then ideal handling of the issue. Some, like my LEO son (armorer for his department) have known about it for some time and have been replacing all the optics on their patrol rifles.

I already replaced mine with an Aimpoint PRO
Sounds like an expansion and contraction issue with dissimilar metals or plastics. What ever they use in the base metal material is subject to extreme thermal expansion and contraction thus throwing off all of your settings. I wonder if it was done to save a buck or if they just screwed up and didn't want to own up to it.

Dennyha

It's a shame because I liked the scope a lot. That is the most expensive scope I've ever purchased, and to learn it has point-of-aim issues, takes the luster off of the scope. When I spend that much for a scope, I don't expect it to have issues.

avvidclif

I just noticed this posting. Since I have 2 of the Eotech sights I found the refund page, filled out the paperwork, and am waiting for approval. It's too expensive a sight to wonder about. Since I'm not into the things it's best at I think I will put a good Nikon Variable scope on mine and poke holes in paper.

porthole

Retired
I just noticed this posting. Since I have 2 of the Eotech sights I found the refund page, filled out the paperwork, and am waiting for approval. It's too expensive a sight to wonder about. Since I'm not into the things it's best at I think I will put a good Nikon Variable scope on mine and poke holes in paper.

I sent my EO back. I replaced it with an Aimpoint PRO, which comes highly recommended. When the EO/Aimpoint "dot" sites are not on the rifle I have Nikon M-223 mounted, very nice scope.
I also have an older Trijcon red dot on my 22 rifle that works real nice. The problem with the Trijicon is the finite shelf life of the tritium used for illumination.

I will be getting the 22LR version Nikon for my M&P 15-22.
I like the NIkons, they are well made and have a good rep.

And if you have a smart phone there is a great Nikon app called SpotOn.
The app has data for just about every Nikon scope and every type of ammo, allowing you to get ballistic data to use with a scope. Current atmospheric conditions can also be input to get the most accurate ballistics.

I find it useful for getting the holdover for various distances.