Equal-i-zer Hitch Questions

diesel_doberman

So when I first purchased my hitch the dealer put it on and when I would hook it up the trailer would be hooked to the truck and jacked all the way up. I still had to use the bars to pop it on to the L-bracket. few hook ups later all I have to do is jack it up and the bar can just be pushed on. Is this normal.

GOTTOYS

I've had a couple Equal-I-Zer hitches. That's the way mine always worked. Do a little research and make sure it's set up properly, that isn't always the case when a dealer puts it on. Often they just want you out the door. To make it even easier try an electric tongue jack. Once you get the hitch dialed in they work great!...Don

diesel_doberman

I've had a couple Equal-I-Zer hitches. That's the way mine always worked. Do a little research and make sure it's set up properly, that isn't always the case when a dealer puts it on. Often they just want you out the door. To make it even easier try an electric tongue jack. Once you get the hitch dialed in they work great!...Don
So do you use the pry bar it came with to lift it the rest the way or does the spring bar just push on when truck and trailer are lifted together?

GOTTOYS

Didn't need the prybar. It all depends on how it is set up. If the head is tilted down a little more you will need it, or if you don't have the trailer up high enough you will need it. The tongue weight of the trailer determines how far you need to tilt the hitch head. My trailers were both pretty light so once I jacked them up high enough I could just kick the bars into place. The bars should sit parallel to the ground when hitched, the tow vehicle and the the trailer should both sit level. A very slight downward pitch to the trailer would be okay but very little if any....Don

diesel_doberman

Okay Thank you. I'm glad to hear this. I did change the angle of the ball. it was tilted so much it was very difficult to lock on the trailer.

GOTTOYS

Sounds like they didn't spend much time setting it up. I'm thinking there is a pretty good set of instructions either on E-Trailer or the Equal-I-Zer website to show how to set it up. If you need to add some washers for tilting it be sure to use hardened flat washers. They are available in the Grade 8 section at most hardware stores..They won't flatten out or crack..Don