EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: CO, Colorado Springs - 9/11/2013 to 9/15/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
UPDATE as of August 20, 2013
Don & I visited with the campground concierge today. Rally participants will be getting a "welcome bag" from the Colorado Chapter with all kinds of local information plus some "goodies"...but there are a few things you may want to know about ahead of time:
*Garden of the Gods Campground serves breakfast Sundays only: all you can eat pancakes with ham or sausage, juice & coffee $4/person
*Garden of the Gods Campground also serves dinner Wednesday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday starting at 5pm $7-8/person
***the pot luck dinner will be Saturday night (which is the date on the events page)....it is not a typo:)...several members will be coming Friday night and we do not want them to miss out on the pot luck and the festivities afterwards:GREAT DOOR PRIZES!!

skyguy

Monica - Checked on Ramblin Express bus service to Cripple Creek. $25 round trip per person, and you get $25 in coupons for gamblin in CC. Pick up point on 8th St just north of WalMart - so that's 5 minutes from campground. Service every hour.

Or you can drive the almost 40 miles yourself, 80 miles round trip.

Al S.

mtnspet

Good day,

My husband and I spoke with Al this morning. We have reserved our sight at Garden of the Gods. We are looking forward to meeting every one. We are new to rving as in we have never done this before. We are anticipating with joy and some stress our new life style and learning curve.

Bill and DeAnna

mtnspet

We are Bill and DeAnna (new to this forum). I hope this shows up. Our last did not.

PS - We did show up. Isn't technology grand? LOL

StarryNight

Bill & DeAnna,
The water's great...glad to hear you're "taking the plunge"!!!!
We look forward to meeting you:)

StarryNight

Just heard from Tim & Rae...they are planning on attending rally...made their reservations yesterday:)

StarryNight

I just heard from our newest members, Steve & Susan, they are also planning on coming to the rally:)

Moe3754

Keathe and I will be there on Friday evening to meet with everyone and say hello to the new members, we will also be there for the pot luck on Saturday. Will I need to stop by the office at the park to let them know or can we just come to the camp site where the group will be?

StarryNight

Morris,
If the office is open you will need to stop and check in plus get a "sticker" for your car...according to the info they gave me. I will stop by once we get there next Wednesday and double check. If anything maybe they will give me some "stickers" for visitors so you can bypass all that...especially after hours.

StarryNight

Don spoke to GGCG today and they will hold three sites for another day or so...the rest that we reserved are to be "released".
If you haven't made your reservations you probably should get that done ASAP.

Moe3754

Morris,
If the office is open you will need to stop and check in plus get a "sticker" for your car...according to the info they gave me. I will stop by once we get there next Wednesday and double check. If anything maybe they will give me some "stickers" for visitors so you can bypass all that...especially after hours.

Thank You, I was thinking of maybe stopping out there on Thursday of next week just to see where you will be and will stop at the office then, that way I will not be driving all over the campsite looking for you on Friday.

StarryNight

Potluck info: Don & I will be doing burgers & dogs with all the trimmings. Plus we'll be supplying napkins, plates, utensils, cups, iced tea...
There won't be an "official sign up sheet"; most people chat about it and go from there:)
We have been to rallies where people bring crock pot side dishes, Dutch oven sides..."cold pasta" sides are popular. Rae (of Tim & Rae) makes a great chocolate cake! hint, hint, wink, wink:rolleyes:
I'll be bringing avocado dip plus tortilla chips and probably another appetizer...haven't decided on the second appetizer.

StarryNight

Just an FYI...in the directions given by Garden of the Gods Campground they mention the "Buffalo Lodge" sign...it is a huge sign, can't miss it!! Below it is the Garden of the Gods sign...much smaller. Just don't want anyone to be confused...cuz if you miss the entrance (cuz you only saw the HUGE sign and figured Garden of the Gods Campground was coming up next) it will be a real pain turning back around....you would have to continue on that road , take a left, get back onto Hwy 24 (east), turn left on 31st, ...you get the picture!!!
When we went to check it out this past spring we did just that...went by the entrance and as we were driving by saw the little "Garden of the Gods" sign...but we weren't pulling anything so we wove our way thru the housing area to get back...
Just be aware they haven't removed the old sign...at least it was there a week ago!!

skyguy

Just an FYI...in the directions given by Garden of the Gods Campground they mention the "Buffalo Lodge" sign...it is a huge sign, can't miss it!! Below it is the Garden of the Gods sign...much smaller. Just don't want anyone to be confused

TIPS AND HINTS arriving at GGRVR...
Exiting I-25, US 24 (Cimarron St)
Southbound: Exit follows Bijou St., exit is a 30MPH U-turn, develops into two lanes before stop light at Cimarron. Easier if you are in right lane, to turn left onto Cimarron, headed west.
Northbound: Exit follows Nevada Ave, exit is a straight to Cimarron, two left turn lanes, easier if you are in right lane.

Once on Cimarron, headed west (towards mountains), you will want to turn right at 31st St. (Fourth stop light - 8th St, 21st St, 26th St, 31st St.) It is a short block to the next light, which is Colorado Ave, where you need to turn LEFT, so merge to the left turn lane ASAP.

(You can also turn right off Highway 24 at Ridge Road, but there is NO STOP LIGHT at Colorado, and turning left onto Colorado with no stop light can be more challenging than you care for!)

Attached are three photos, from Ridge Road (the only cross street once you turn onto Colorado Ave from 31st Street.
First photo shows small motels on right hand side of street, as you would be headed WEST towards GGRVR.
2nd photo shows a small exit street coming off to the right from Colorado Ave. Take that, turn to right at stop sign, and you are there!
The last photo shows the entrance - you'll pass under the GGRVR sign as you enter.
View at Ridge Road.jpgExit off Colorado Avenue.jpgEntrance to GGRVP.jpg

Oh yeah - there's a pot shop right next door if you need to stock up...

See you there!!!

Al Schlafli

gwalter

Hope you are all staying dry today. We live in Falcon and have only had .15 " of rain here so far. Hopefully we can get into the campground tomorrow to meet all of you.

Gregg & Linda

StarryNight

We are here and attempting to stay dry. This morning and part of the afternoon was nice...for a while...then throughout the day the clouds slowly rolled in.
Everyone that has reservations for a specific day has made it, we are expecting two more rigs Friday.
Everyone is in excellent spirits and "going with the flow" (no pun intended!!)
We are meeting nightly at the campgounds' event center. The weather has caused a few glitches in plans...but we've all managed to adjust.
Tomorrow is suppose to be better than today...so we're all happy:)

Status
Not open for further replies.