EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: VA, Luray - 9/30/2011 to 10/2/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We'll be in Thursday evening, probably between 6-7pm. This is the first time we've been out since the Delaware rally in July. Hope I remember how to do everything. It'll be good to be back on the road. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
It will be just like getting back on a bicycle after a long absence, and besides Debra will keep you on track. So glad that you are on the rally circuit again, we missed you. We should be pulling in around lunch time on Friday, see you then.

Hudson

Gus - I have to ask... the KISS principle?

It's the modern translation of Occam's Razor. KISS is an acronym for "Keep It Simple, Stupid." For a potluck that probably means don't make anything complicated. Especially once you see the theme for this one.

Yes, everyone, I made an agenda and I thought I posted it here. Unfortunately, since I was in such a hurry to leave for Florida, instead of doing the "smart" thing by keeping a copy of it for myself, I thought I'd do the fastest/easiest thing by just posting it and then when I got home I'd download my own copy back. Joke's on me ... I guess I never actually pressed SEND...

So I'm retyping it now. As before, it's pretty simple, mostly about the food and meals and the theme. Well, Tracy is off right now to pick up the supplies, souvenirs, giveaways, prizes, etc. so I won't post it until she gets back in a couple of hours.

I can say without fear of being wrong again (jeez, why do I think that is even possible?) that the theme for this rally is "harvest" and the food themes are "comfort foods"

kwolbeck

Past Heartland Ambassador
We'll be there about 4 or 5 tomorrow, plan to sit out and watch everyone pull in Thursday and Friday. Anyone interested in me taking pictures?

Kevin

Hudson

Luray Rally Agenda

Okay, here is the agenda. It could change some as you guy point out typos, question things, etc. As you can see this agenda and this rally are mostly about enjoying some food and friendship. That is what the Rally In The Valley is all about. Please let me know what you think. Hopefully I will also figure out how to attach this agenda to the first/head post too...

P.s., rumor has it that Don & Cindy are coming too ... let's encourage them to join us!

Attachments

• Agenda.pdf
    61.4 KB · Views: 36

boatto5er

We'll be there about 4 or 5 tomorrow, plan to sit out and watch everyone pull in Thursday and Friday. Anyone interested in me taking pictures?

Kevin

Of course! We can use them later for blackmail, er - I mean in the Heartland Owners Gallery!

Hudson

Time is running out

As of this morning we are up to 16 sites booked. But we are also only a couple of days away from the rally. Even though we have not used all of our 20 allotted sites, the campground has taken back the unused sites. At this instant I think they still have at least one of those last four sites available.

That means if you want to go to this rally, you need to call Shulamit right now. Post it here or send me a PM here after you've gotten your reservation.

Remember that you won't get a site number until you arrive (well I have prelocated a couple of rigs, such as Gus). You know it's funny ... Shulamit specifically mentioned putting Kevin's rig in a spot that is about halfway down the flight line ... if I understood her correctly she did that "so he wouldn't bother anyone" and I'm kind of wondering, holy cow, does she *know* Kevin already?? :eek::D This is going to be interesting. (Don't worry Kevin ... I remember that site and it is a really good one but you probably won't have anyone else right next to you until Friday.)

And it looks like we are in for some outstanding Fall weather, perfect for stargazing and roaring campfires.

Last edited:

Hudson

hey hudson are we still planning a trip to the caverns?
Good question. We weren't sure how many wanted to go to the caverns versus how many wanted to drive along Skyline Drive.

As for the caverns, if we can get 20 people who all want to go at the same time, then we can get a good group discount ($15.50 adults; $7.50 kids; cash only). Since the bulk of the rally time is booked up with the meals, that means the best time is between lunch & dinner on Saturday. Otherwise we have to do it outside of regular rally time (Friday daytime, Sunday afternoon) and I think that makes it harder to get 20 people since there will be fewer people. The good news is that unless the caverns get really crowded, we can probably make that decision on Friday afternoon once everybody is there. If we can't get 20 cash people at the same time, then we can have ad hoc groups but that is $23 per adult (the campground has ~$20 discount tickets I think).

As for Skyline Drive, we are entering the season of color changing. The season won't probably peak for another 2-3 weeks, but I'm looking out my window now and can see the colors starting to come out now (I can see about 10-20 miles but there is another mountain range between me and Skyline Drive so they might have even more colors). And one good cool night (which is expected Friday) could kick up the colors on Saturday. We will have our 7 passenger van so we could take a group up (plus we have the annual pass to get in free). But I still don't have a feel for whether the early arrivers/late stayers want to do that on Friday or Sunday instead of Saturday when it might be more crowded.

In other words, both of those are still on my tick sheet, but I figured I'd wait until I got there to start working those things out.

boatto5er

Got the hitch back in the truck this evening, half packed. Should get out of here early afternoon tomorrow. See everyone there!

Hudson

Got the hitch back in the truck this evening, half packed.
What about Debra? She feeling better?

We haven't even started getting the rig ready. We're still finishing up on putting all the packets together for everyone. And I just packed about 1/4 cord of wood into the truck so we can have lots of fireside fun. It's nice to live so close to the rally that the wood I get around here at full cord prices is also local wood. If we burn all that I'll go back to the house and get another 1/4 cord of wood. Unfortunately I can only fit 1/4 cord into the truck bed at a time even though it's an 8' bed. That darned hitch and aux diesel tank!

Hudson

Weather forecast

It's going to be perfect Fall weather. Friday will be absolutely gorgeous. Saturday & Sunday will be breezy with highs in the low to mid 50's. Overnight lows will dip below 40 on Saturday & Sunday nights.

This is wonderful weather for camp fires. Be sure to bring your sweaters, jackets, sweatshirts, and extra blankets.

It is not expected to freeze.

kwolbeck

Past Heartland Ambassador
Re: Weather forecast

Pulled into this beautiful RV resort yesterday afternoon, very nice.

Woke up this morning to temps in the low 50's, light fog, about 45 minutes of light rain. What could be better, oh I know, how about enjoying it with about 30 or so fellow Heartlanders. Looking forward to this weekend.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.