Extended drawer in bedroom

usnthedog

The drawers in our Greystone RE bedroom had almost 3" of depth behind the drawers. The cabinet sets that far away from the wall and the ceramic top creates the illusion that the cabinet is a lot deeper. The drawers were only 10" deep. It takes some wood working but I took the drawers apart and replaced the sides with a piece of longer piece of 1/2" birch plywood and the bottom with underlayment. The drawers are now 12-3/4" deep. That makes quite a difference in the amount of stuff you can jam into them.

Jeff

JJnLilly

Tried this one one of the drawers as a trial. As the sides are 3/8" did not want to try to add 1/4" inch to width so bought some 3/8" X 6 cabinet stock. Made the sides a bit shorter but added the depth which is what I was looking for. Have to wait until I move the gray lady before I put the drawer back in to see how it works. If all goes as hoped, will do the other three too.

Biggest problem was getting out those little air driven staples and brads they use to hold the original together.

Last edited:

brlr2000

I never thought about extending the drawers in the BR. They are awfully small. If I could get an extra 3" of space, I think it would be worth the effort. Thanks!

JJnLilly

Finished the drawer expansions. DW thought it was a lot of work for nothing while I was doing the drawers. Last time we went out, however, she noted the additional space. It does make a difference.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
JJ, thanks for the report. I'll have to check the depth of our bedroom drawers when we get south next month. Maybe another "honeydo".