Extended Warranty - Worth it?

I was wondering about extended warranties. Thinking of buying a Gateway 3650BH and dealer says it comes with the one year bumper-to-bumper warranty from the factory, but obviously they offer extended options. Did you guys purchase additional warranties and are they worth it? What should I make sure it covers and what can be avoided? I don't want to be like those dummies who fall for the "exhaust water" coverage!

jimtoo

Hi kmillerscience,

Almost every dealer will try to sell you an extended warranty. I say no to the extended warranty, but I am a self fixer for anything.

Jim M

branson4020

Icantre Member
IMHO you should save your money. Service plans from the dealers are notoriously overpriced and underperforming. If, after the factory warranty is up, you fell like you want a plan, you can always get it from Good Sam.

asherwin

I am a believer and supporter of extended warranties. While some are better than others, the right one pays for itself more than once. Just finished replacing my Dometic 4 door refer cooling unit for the second time under extended warranty. Look up the price of one of these then multiply by two. The math works.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Paid a lot for a 5 year extended warranty on this BH. It expired without ever being used. Now we're "self-warranteed." If something breaks or fails, I'll cover it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grey Ghost

I paid for a five year plan on my used 5ver and so far it has helped a lot. I've fixed one hot water heater, two awning motors and one propane regulator. I don't think it would be necessary on a new one however, you have a warranty program with the new ones.:cool:

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Extended warranties are ALWAYS a crap shoot in favor of the seller!

That said, I have purchased them because of particular circumstances related to my use (or lack thereof). In the case of a new unit that will see regular use the first year, I would expect any major issue to show up in that time. Invest the money and keep it as your own "extended warranty".

JanAndBill

No, they are not.

Bought one on a used MH. One and only attempt to collect was on the coach a/c compressor. After approving the repair, the shop completed the work, then they denied it, leaving me with the bill. The bearings were bad in the compressor, which caused the seals to fail, and leaked the refrigerant out. Warranty had a specific exclusion on seals, which they cited in denying the claim. I cancelled the remaining portion of the warranty and have never gone with another. Put back the money you'd spend on one, and use it to cover your repairs.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
No they are not. After the one year buy the Good Sam warranty. I would also get the Good Sam Roadside assistance now.

lwmcguir

Have to agree with the majority of the Posters. Simply paying in advance for repairs you may never need.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Right now this minute I am going to say no as right now we are sitting in Phoenix, AZ where we blew out a wheel bearing with less than 5000 miles on our trailer, and N-Compass RV extended warranty is refusing to cover this.

Why am I not surprised?

Never listen to your dealer...

I'll chime in later and update!

jnbhobe

The warranty probably says bearings are maintenence items. Make sure you get them all serviced while your at it.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The warranty probably says bearings are maintenence items. Make sure you get them all serviced while your at it.

Well, N-Compass left us high and dry . . .

I'm going to suggest that anyone considering or being offered this warranty by their dealership to decline paying for this warranty as they will soften you up on the phone when you call, then leave it up to the repair center to drop the bomb on you!.

Of course they used the "You didn't provide paperwork for services rendered of annual maintainence" clause in their contract to get out of paying for this one.

One of those 'smear the lemon juice on the contract to make the invisible ink appear' fine print clauses . . .

For a trailer with under 5000 miles total from the Heartland factory that experienced a wheel bearing failure that took out the whole wheel bearing and brake assembly that required the axle to be removed from the trailer and sent to another shop to get fixed while on a trip 1000 miles away from home!

Not to mention the $1000 repair bill + lodging and prepaid but unused nights at the destination RV park (Arizona HOC Rally at Quartzsite)!

No thanks . . . I am considering using the opt-out clause to get out of this warranty, even though it will cost me even more money.

Shout out to Sun City RV in Phoenix, Arizona . . . they were awesome and got us back on the road faster than we thought possible!

danemayer

John,

If you have Dexter axles, I believe they have a 2 year warranty on the axle assemblies including bearings. If you haven't called them, you should. They may reimburse you, even after the fact. I'm not sure about Lippert.