Extension ladder suggestions?

kbausano

Slowly making mods and prepping for longer stays in our 18 month old Bighorn 3760EL. I'm thinking of adding a telescoping ladder to my basement collections - but scans of amazon and the net show a wide range of lengths, weights and general qualities.

Anyone have recommendations? Would love to hear what you have found that fits the needs of RV'ers.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have a 12' telescoping ladder similar to this 10 foot ladder from camping world. Like it cuz it doesn't take up much room and stores easily in the basement. We've had it for quite a while so cost I can't remember.

TahoeCamper

Founding Nevada-North Chapter Leader-Retired
Ken, we have the same model as Nabo. Ours has a 300 lb rating, stores easily. Much better than using the ladder on the back of the coach. Also carry folding 6' step ladder from Camping World. Found our telescoping ladder at Target for less money.
George

kbausano

Ken, we have the same model as Nabo. Ours has a 300 lb rating, stores easily. Much better than using the ladder on the back of the coach. Also carry folding 6' step ladder from Camping World. Found our telescoping ladder at Target for less money.
George

I note on amazon that there are lighter weight (12 lb) ladders in the $100-130 range, but the release mechanisms are often on the 'inside' of the steps - creating a pinching hazard. Camping world prices seem to be $250-400 retail. I do know that price doesn't equal quality, but I also don't want to sacrifice safety and quality for a lower price.

Confusing, for sure - especially when I can't put my hands on most of them before buying!

kbausano

I have! We noted your amazing handiwork in Las Vegas last summer. And I love my Little Giant. Maybe if I was still fighting fire, I might go for ladder gold as you have . Instead I'm still working on the (perhaps faulty) thought that I can organize my basement well enough to carry and have access to everything I might need.

That said, your under-carriage drawer is on my wish list, for sure!
Ken

wdk450

Get one long enough (extended) to get you up on the roof. Get a pad (I use an old memory foam pillow) to temporarily wire to the top of the legs for leaning against the fiberglass for front cap and sides cleaning/waxing. I like the multi-function ladder concept, and now use mine every time I hitch up (as a short stepladder) to get into the hitched up truck bed to air up the air ride hitch airbag under load before travelling. Having a stepladder function is also handy inside, for ceiling work in the living room.

Mine is pretty much like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/MetalTec...th-300-lb-Load-Capacity-E-MTL7000ST/206691417 I bought about 5 years ago in the $90 range. 13 foot just gets me to the top of the slides, I can get on the roof from there. Maybe the 17 foot option would have been a better choice, but it is also longer to store in the storage compartment. BTW, think hard about the latches and storage, as you will probably want to store yours on its side like I do to save storage space. I noticed that some of the Little Giant ladders I looked at online (I did a search of "multi position ladders' on the Home Depot website) had PLASTIC looking extension latch mechanisms on their side rails that might get damaged by storing the ladder on its side.

dlw930

I have the 300 lb capacity version of the above ladder As a full-timer, hardly a week goes by that I don't use it. I like the compactness for storage and carrying. I also like "soft" caps and collars on the sections so I don't have to cover the top end with a towel to prevent scratching when I lean the ladder against the side of the rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

I have the 300 lb capacity version of the above ladder As a full-timer, hardly a week goes by that I don't use it. I like the compactness for storage and carrying. I also like "soft" caps and collars on the sections so I don't have to cover the top end with a towel to prevent scratching when I lean the ladder against the side of the rig.

David - can you post a link to the unit you have or at least the brand/model. A full-figured fella like me needs the hi-cap unit. In my past research on this, the higher cap units seem to be shorter - so I never got one.

Mrsfish

David - can you post a link to the unit you have or at least the brand/model. A full-figured fella like me needs the hi-cap unit. In my past research on this, the higher cap units seem to be shorter - so I never got one.

Jim, we have one of these ladders we never use - rick got a harbor freight version of a little giant he likes much better- anyway, I can bring it to the New Mexico rally if you (or anyone else) would like it.

dlw930

Jim,

This isn't the brand I bought a year ago, in fact this has a 30# higher cap., but I ordered mine from Wayfair, which had free shipping. Xtend n Climb is the brand I have. Maybe a more thorough search of Wayfair would turn up my model.

https://www.wayfair.com/OxGord-12.5....-Load-Capacity-OXGO1033.html?source=hotdeals

jbeletti

Jim,

This isn't the brand I bought a year ago, in fact this has a 30# higher cap., but I ordered mine from Wayfair, which had free shipping. Xtend n Climb is the brand I have. Maybe a more thorough search of Wayfair would turn up my model.

https://www.wayfair.com/OxGord-12.5....-Load-Capacity-OXGO1033.html?source=hotdeals
Thanks David. Do you find that 12.5 feet is tall enough to get up onto the roof with? I'm thinking maybe it's tall enough to do most jobs around the 4 sides of the RV but to get onto the roof, put this ladder up against the OEM ladder on the rear cap and climb as high on it as practical before finishing onto the OEM ladder. Thoughts?

jbeletti

Jim, we have one of these ladders we never use - rick got a harbor freight version of a little giant he likes much better- anyway, I can bring it to the New Mexico rally if you (or anyone else) would like it.
Sold! See you and your ladder in Alto!

dlw930

Thanks David. Do you find that 12.5 feet is tall enough to get up onto the roof with? I'm thinking maybe it's tall enough to do most jobs around the 4 sides of the RV but to get onto the roof, put this ladder up against the OEM ladder on the rear cap and climb as high on it as practical before finishing onto the OEM ladder. Thoughts?

The 12.5 footer won't reach to the roof. I lean the top against the upper vertical portion of the OEM ladder and up I go.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

The 12.5 footer won't reach to the roof. I lean the top against the upper vertical portion of the OEM ladder and up I go.

I found a solution to your problem. LOL
This is from one of the Indian Truck washes I go to.
Could you imagine climbing that.
No thank you !!!!!!
I don't think it's OSHA approved.

ccbb737e11193deca3afd65ca9e955c3.jpg

6f80e5956f29d5f2b2ba4d38b8a773fe.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

That's what we do when Nathan has to get onto the roof. We lean the 12.5 ft ladder onto the OEM ladder, using the hand rails at the top of the camper for hand holds as he get onto the roof. If I'm not around all the time, Nathan will strap the extendable ladder near the top of the OEM ladder to keep it from moving around.

wdk450

I have a 13 foot ladder, and although it is not long enough to get me on the roof, it IS long enough to get me on top of the slides (2 feet lower), and I can move to the roof from there. I haven't been on my rear installed ladder in a long, long time.

jbeletti

I have a 13 foot ladder, and although it is not long enough to get me on the roof, it IS long enough to get me on top of the slides (2 feet lower), and I can move to the roof from there. I haven't been on my rear installed ladder in a long, long time.
I've heard that walking on the slide roofs is not recommended. I just don't think that structurally, they're designed for it.