Exterior cracks in fiberglass

I own a 2009 Heartland Big Horn 30' fifth wheel. I tow with a 2000 ford f250 diesel SC. The last two trips I have been experiencing
a lot of trailer bucking while towing to such an extent that the fiberglass just above the front storage compartment has developed two 3/4 inch
cracks in both corners just where the underneath fiberglass curves to the flat area which leads to the hitch. I have new monroe shocks and
air shocks on the truck with a reese 15K hitch.

Has anyone experience this problem and any ideas why this is happening.

Thanks

Mike Sickels
jerrynmike@yahoo.com

danemayer

Hi jerrynmike,

It's possible you might have frame flex causing the cracks. Hitch up but leave your landing gear extended so the trailer weight is on the landing gear. Then retract the gear so the weight is on the hitch. Look for any change in the cracks, or in caulking of nearby seams.

If there is movement, take some clear pictures and call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

A stationary camera sitting on a tripod or on a fixed object will make it easy to see the weighted/unweighted difference in the pictures.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
When we had a flex problem we didn't have cracks but inside the front closet the cupboards inside would separate from the front wall about 3/4 of an inch to an inch. Might be another check you can do. Doug.