Factory aluminum rims cracking

We woke up to cracked rim #2 today. Cracked in same place - just inboard of a spoke. We are not in a position to have one shipped to us for another 600 miles (we drove 200 of that today, so 400 to go).

I might try for having them send me three replacements, as well.

I have included a link to the Tredit warranty web page. You will need pictures of the rim overall and the rim cracks. Also, you will need several pieces of information like a copy of the original bill of sale, tire size, tire weight rating, tire psi, rim serial number, rim dot rating, rim sae number and a date of manufacture if you can find it. You will be uploading the pictures and the bill of sale. The rim info is located on the inside of the spokes.

http://www.tredittire.com/services/warranty

BigGuy82

We continue to see reports of rim cracking on this particular design of wheel. Maybe it just got lost in this thread or I'm not looking closely enough, but does anyone know if this is a "batch" issue or a "design" issue. Has Tredit, Heartland or anyone else stated what the cause of this is, is it localized to a certain batch, is it more broad based?

These wheels are identical to the ones on my Bighorn and while a cracked rim may not be a serious matter, I don't like to take chances and I don't like problems on the road. I would replace all four with an alternate brand if this was a widespread issue.

MCTalley

I have included a link to the Tredit warranty web page. You will need pictures of the rim overall and the rim cracks. Also, you will need several pieces of information like a copy of the original bill of sale, tire size, tire weight rating, tire psi, rim serial number, rim dot rating, rim sae number and a date of manufacture if you can find it. You will be uploading the pictures and the bill of sale. The rim info is located on the inside of the spokes.

Yup. Been through this once already. This is the second rim we've had crack, so I'll be going through all that again the first of next week (when I'm somewhere they can send the wheel(s) to).

porthole

Retired
Yup. Been through this once already. This is the second rim we've had crack, so I'll be going through all that again the first of next week (when I'm somewhere they can send the wheel(s) to).

Malcom - when I went through that I got the info from all my wheels and pushed for replacements, even for the wheels that did not fail yet. They were all the same batch and H-Spec flat out told me there were a lot of wheels that were cast incorrectly. Like I mentioned above, there is a good chance Hi-Spec and Tredit are made in the same plant. Probably the same plant that makes the Ford Super Duty wheels as well. I had 3 out of 5 fail with the hairline crack on the back side.

BigGuy82

I called Tredit trying to determine if this problem is linked to a specific time frame or batch of wheels. I didn't get that information but I did get this:

If you have this wheel, you may have cracking problems (they've had several copmplaints about this) -

1_424_1916951_41737484.jpg;maxwidth=1024;maxheight=1024;mode=crop.jpg

If you have this wheel, there have been no cracking complaints on it (different style and manufacturer) -

IMG_1691.jpg

If you don't see the difference, note the "flutes" at the top of the spokes of the suspect wheels.

Either one of these wheels could be present on different models of Heartland coaches - mine is a Bighorn.

MCTalley

Malcom - when I went through that I got the info from all my wheels and pushed for replacements, even for the wheels that did not fail yet. They were all the same batch and H-Spec flat out told me there were a lot of wheels that were cast incorrectly. Like I mentioned above, there is a good chance Hi-Spec and Tredit are made in the same plant. Probably the same plant that makes the Ford Super Duty wheels as well. I had 3 out of 5 fail with the hairline crack on the back side.

That's what I was planning on doing. Good reminder on getting the wheel info to verify lot. I'm thinking of buying a fifth rim to use for a spare, as well, so I can more easily rotate tires around occasionally.

I called Tredit trying to determine if this problem is linked to a specific time frame or batch of wheels. I didn't get that information but I did get this:

If you have this wheel, you may have cracking problems (they've had several copmplaints about this) -

View attachment 53877

If you have this wheel, there have been no cracking complaints on it (different style and manufacturer) -

View attachment 53878

If you don't see the difference, note the "flutes" at the top of the spokes of the suspect wheels.

Either one of these wheels could be present on different models of Heartland coaches - mine is a Bighorn.

The 4 replacement rims I got from Tredit had the new "flute" design. Obviously they realized the old design had failure issues.

MCTalley

Currently waiting to receive my replacement wheel and the two additional "goodwill" wheels to complete the set.

Still debating ordering a fifth, spare wheel.

MCTalley

Received my three wheels from Tredit late yesterday evening. Pulled my other two tire/wheel combos off the trailer (the cracked rim with tire has been riding in the back of the truck for a couple weeks) and took everything to Les Schwab to have them swapped over. $72 for all three to be mounted and balanced.

I took the old rims over to a nearby metal recycler and got a check for $36 for the old ones. Net cost - $36. If Tredit sends you a wheel to replace a cracked or faulty rim, they'll re-imburse you for the remounting charge (not sure on balancing). When they agreed to send me three rims (two as a preventive measure), it came with the understanding that it was a goodwill gesture and that they wouldn't reimburse for remounting. No problem with that from me.

Just glad to have all four rims matching, balanced, installed and aired up to 110 PSI, ready for a trip (albeit short) on Friday.

porthole

Retired
Hi-Spec did not reimburse me my dis-mount & mount, but I also didn't ask. And they did send me 5 wheels to replace 2 that had cracked on the same trip. So it cost me some time (extra couple of days as well, first 5 wheels were the wrong color) and about $150 to remount all 5, plus a swap of a 6th I had that was previously replaced.

tireman9

It's one thing to have the tire load rating but another to know the actual load on the tire/wheel.

Many cast aluminum wheels with have indicators of date of mfg. I would help to know that to see if we are looking at a batch issue. Pictures on any numbers on the wheel would be of interest to NHTSA along with the VIN.

Has anyone with a wheel failure bothered to file a complaint with NHTSA? If there is a trend they can order a recall.

I also note that there is no mention of potential damage to tires being run under-inflated. This could mean some folks will get a surprise months down the road due to cumulative damage.

This is an example of an advantage of having a TPMS. The driver would get warning of air loss as soon as the wheel started to leak. (not days / weeks later depending on how often the psi is checked)

MCTalley

It's one thing to have the tire load rating but another to know the actual load on the tire/wheel.

Many cast aluminum wheels with have indicators of date of mfg. I would help to know that to see if we are looking at a batch issue. Pictures on any numbers on the wheel would be of interest to NHTSA along with the VIN.

Has anyone with a wheel failure bothered to file a complaint with NHTSA? If there is a trend they can order a recall.

I also note that there is no mention of potential damage to tires being run under-inflated. This could mean some folks will get a surprise months down the road due to cumulative damage.

This is an example of an advantage of having a TPMS. The driver would get warning of air loss as soon as the wheel started to leak. (not days / weeks later depending on how often the psi is checked)

I'll be honest and say that I don't know the load per wheel on my trailer. I had the opportunity to have the rig weighed at the national rally this summer but passed. Based on experience with my previous weighings and knowing how we load our trailer, I can say with relative confidence that none of my wheels is probably carrying the full 3750 lb. rating (one or two may be close).

I have a TPMS on ours and keep my tires between 105-110 psi cold pressure all the time. When each of mine leaked out air, I was stationary (both leaked down overnight).

The first rim I didn't have to move anywhere for a while, so I had the luxury of waiting for the new rim and having it mounted and balanced before moving. The second rim rode in the back of my truck for several days until we arrived at a destination where I could get replacements sent.

It didn't occur to me to file with NHSTA. I assume that they would want to see them? (I've disposed or recycled both of mine, so too late if so). Based on where both of mine leaked and where other posters have mentioned theirs leaked, it appears to have been a casting problem. Of course Tredit wouldn't admit to any issue, but were happy to proactively send me replacements for my other two good wheels.

As noted earlier, the replacement wheels have the same general spoke pattern but a built-up rim casting area. Not to say I might not have problems with the replacements down the road.

tireman9

I'll be honest and say that I don't know the load per wheel on my trailer. I had the opportunity to have the rig weighed at the national rally this summer but passed. Based on experience with my previous weighings and knowing how we load our trailer, I can say with relative confidence that none of my wheels is probably carrying the full 3750 lb. rating (one or two may be close).

I have a TPMS on ours and keep my tires between 105-110 psi cold pressure all the time. When each of mine leaked out air, I was stationary (both leaked down overnight).

The first rim I didn't have to move anywhere for a while, so I had the luxury of waiting for the new rim and having it mounted and balanced before moving. The second rim rode in the back of my truck for several days until we arrived at a destination where I could get replacements sent.

It didn't occur to me to file with NHSTA. I assume that they would want to see them? (I've disposed or recycled both of mine, so too late if so). Based on where both of mine leaked and where other posters have mentioned theirs leaked, it appears to have been a casting problem. Of course Tredit wouldn't admit to any issue, but were happy to proactively send me replacements for my other two good wheels.

As noted earlier, the replacement wheels have the same general spoke pattern but a built-up rim casting area. Not to say I might not have problems with the replacements down the road.

I would still file complaint with NHTSA. Wheels would be more a part of the vehicle while tires are a special catigory.
The VIN of the RV would help NHTSA ask the RV mfg the appropriate questions.

IMO if info on every wheel failure had been sent to NHTSA there is a good possibility there would be a recall investigation or an actual recall in process.

tireman9

I notice that noone is mentioning having the tires inspected or even replaced. Depending on how much air was lost and how long it was driven on when underinflated IMO a few will probably see shorter tire life and may not connect the operation when under-inflated i.e. not at the pressure molded on tire sidewall.

I am writing a post on my RV tire blog about this situation but will not mention any names.

MCTalley

I notice that noone is mentioning having the tires inspected or even replaced. Depending on how much air was lost and how long it was driven on when underinflated IMO a few will probably see shorter tire life and may not connect the operation when under-inflated i.e. not at the pressure molded on tire sidewall.

I am writing a post on my RV tire blog about this situation but will not mention any names.

The OP seemed to indicate he may have driven on low tire(s). Not sure on Duane (porthole). As mentioned in my last post, both of mine went down overnight or at least when parked. I run a TPMS with 95 psi as a low pressure alarm. Never got an alarm while driving.

tireman9

The OP seemed to indicate he may have driven on low tire(s). Not sure on Duane (porthole). As mentioned in my last post, both of mine went down overnight or at least when parked. I run a TPMS with 95 psi as a low pressure alarm. Never got an alarm while driving.

Good for you for running TPMS. You may have dodged the bullet on tire damage.

Even if you do not have the old wheels people should still file complaint with NHTSA. The VIN is what is needed as this would be considered part of the "vehicle"

porthole

Retired

First rim failure - Ohio turnpike, TPMS alert below 105 PSI, checked didn't see anything out of the ordinary on the side of a very busy highway.
Continued on and the watched the pressure drop until it was safe to exit (actually a DOT yard). Probably was down to 70 PSI before changing the tire-wheel, and not very long at that pressure drop.

2nd rim failure was noticed after sitting a week, zero miles on low-no pressure tire.

3rd rim failure was on the way home from the 2nd, again on a very busy highway, the NJ Turnpike. TPMS alert, pulled over at the first available rest area, which are only about 5 miles apart at the upper end of the NJ Turnpike. IIRC, about 45-50 PSI before we stopped.

Aside from the rim failures, i'll note that when my Goodyears G-114 failed, I had zero warning from the TPMS. After the tire failed and I had nothing left but portions of both sidewalls the TPMS still showed 70 PSI.