Factory tour was EYE OPENING Experience!!

violinini1

We just got back from Elkhart, IN from visiting the factories. As prospective buyers, we wanted to see the Jayco ( a joke), Grand Design (nice, but no cigar), Montana (very close), and the Big Horn.

Big Horn by far was the best for many reasons. First, Ben (last name?), the regional manager for the Indiana area, gave us the personal tour and he spent 2.5 hours with us (3 couples) and answered every question that we could think of.

The other tours did not last nearly that long and were either given by students, or had so many people that you could not ask questions. Also, it was great that the tour was given after hours so that you could go and look up close to the construction that was being made. We were so impressed with the construction of the roof and floor and how it is compressed and glued together to make a solid piece one piece unit, unlike everyone else that constructed their roofs and floors in piece parts with rafters and loose insulation in between the struts. No wonder their insulation R factors are true R factors that will be those same R factors many years down the road. You had to wonder about some of the claims of the other manufacturers as it was clear that their R factors would not stand up to time.

It was clear to us that Big Horn's experience in making Motor Homes was easily transferred to making 5th wheels. In addition, the walls were of better construction than the other 3 factories and we could see the quality in every part of the RV from the wheels up.

Loved how BH is using the G rated tires that are not made in China. What a relief, as everyone else is still using the China made E rated tires that the forums are just full of folks having problems with. Loved the quality control, as the units were clearly marked with red tape during the inspection process, and there were places that we had a hard time finding the problems that the inspectors saw. BH uses independent inspectors who are employed by Heartland so there are no issues with inspectors doing their job.

On our tour, they were making the new 3760 EL and we fell in love with it. The kitchen counter surface area and the bedroom are spectacular. And the bath is a good size with plenty of room around the toilet. It has more storage than we will ever use.

We came to Elkhart with an open mind and had not decided which manufacturer's unit we were going to buy. After this tour, there was no doubt in our minds that the BH is the best fiver that is made today. We plan to order ours in December hoping for some factory rebates at that time of the year to help save some additional money. If you ever get a chance to visit the BH factory, it will be a real good experience for you.

One other tidbit, we have found Stacy from Tiarra RV, Elkhart, IN, very good to work with and they have offered the best prices from any of the dozens of other dealers we have visited. Of course, we still have questions on some of the options that I did not think to ask during the tour, but I am sure these questions will be cleared up soon. :cool:

Don
2014 RAM Laramie Longhorn 3500 SRW, 6.7L Cummins Diesel
Soon to be happy owner of BH 3760 EL

MTPockets

We had a very similar experience and result in 2011 when we toured four plants and a week later ordered our Big Horn based on those tour experiences.

violinini1

Yea,
It was a great experience. By the way, Ben's last name is Hanlon. He was fantastic.

Don

Jim-Lynn

Don; you made the right decision. We too had the opportunity of touring the factory when we were there for the National Rally. What we really noticed was "They care". Everyone of the staff at the Cyclone plant was great, & we already had purchased our Cyclone 4200. They just kept asking, anything else we can do for you.
i heard a few weeks ago from a dealer that Grand Design is having money issues, they have nice units, but if they don't survive that will not help.
congrats on your decision & I am sure your will have many happy years in your Heartland investment.
Jim

buddyboy

We also took the tour in 2012 and made our final decision based on what we saw. We were happy on October 11, 2012 when it was delivered to us and we're happy today.

yport

Totally agree with you Don. Took our tour in 2014 - with our newly purchased 2014 3685RL. Called ahead and was given an appointment time to be there for a great tour ... and to email them a checklist of anything that might need to be fixed on our new rig. I never felt so special when we pulled into the lot. Practically before my wife got out of the car they had me unhitched and were already taking my coach in the the garage. General Manager Kary came out to meet us, then introduced us Rob Schwindaman who gave us a great 2 hour tour. Talk about feeling special. They knocked off everything on our checklist ... and even threw in a few freebies (one of which was a small portable "end table" which had a matching top to our cabinetry that came out after my unit had left the assembly line. Kary then gives me his cell phone # and tells me to call anytime I need help on anything. Twice later I did just that and wow ... what customer service. My best wished to Kary in his new endeavors ... and my congrats to our new GM whom I look forward to meeting on our next trip to Elkhart.

After 2 previous other brands, I'm now a Heartland lifer :)

wdk450

We just got back from Elkhart, IN from visiting the factories. As prospective buyers, we wanted to see the Jayco ( a joke), Grand Design (nice, but no cigar), Montana (very close), and the Big Horn.
. . . . . . . .
It was clear to us that Big Horn's experience in making Motor Homes was easily transferred to making 5th wheels. In addition, the walls were of better construction than the other 3 factories and we could see the quality in every part of the RV from the wheels up. . . . . . . . .

Don

The Heartland RV's Corporation since its inception has only been involved in towable RV's, not motor homes.

violinini1

Bill,
That is true, but according to Ben Hanlan, the District Sales Manager, the owners were Motor Home builders before they were 5th wheel builders. Sorry for the confusion.

schrod

We, my wife and I were given a tour by Rob Schwindaman. We got a private tour as it was Friday and the plant was shut down. He is with customer relations IIRC. I have to disagree with you on the quality. These units are all built similar in all the factories. Sure each has it's own type of way to address wall manufacure but all end up being essentially the same. My big issue is the 3/8's inch thick composite floor. Evergreen uses 5/8's inch thick tongue and groove plywood which is much stronger and more durable. Also using the white bead board for the ceiling insulation is the worst of all insulation having the lowest R rating. I know why. It is also the lightest and this is a weight saving issue.

Another problem I addressed to Rob was the fact they put Correct track on the trailers but it is only eyeballed for alignment. WTH? Can't even make sure the alignment is correct before leaving the factory?

I also asked Rob about the fact of so many tanks being dropped out from lack of support, that it was even a factory recall. He claimed to know nothing about this and even went so far as to say that it has never been an issue!

You can praise Heartland all you want. I had a private tour and asked plenty of questions. I was definitely not impressed and neither was my wife.

Last edited:

violinini1

I am sorry you had a bad experience. As you can see from the replies, many others had experience such as mine and really enjoyed the tour. As for me and my wife, I think we could not do any better than the Big Horn. It is everything we are looking for in an RV . Good luck to you in the future. Hopefully we will see you at a campground sometime in the future.

Don

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
We, my wife and I were given a tour by Rob Schwindaman. We got a private tour as it was Friday and the plant was shut down. He is with customer relations IIRC. I have to disagree with you on the quality. These units are all built similar in all the factories. Sure each has it's own type of way to address wall manufacure but all end up being essentially the same. My big issue is the 3/8's inch thick composite floor. Evergreen uses 5/8's inch thick tongue and groove plywood which is much stronger and more durable. Also using the white bead board for the ceiling insulation is the worst of all insulation having the lowest R rating. I know why. It is also the lightest and this is a weight saving issue.

Another problem I addressed to Rob was the fact they put Correct track on the trailers but it is only eyeballed for alignment. WTH? Can't even make sure the alignment is correct before leaving the factory?

I also asked Rob about the fact of so many tanks being dropped out from lack of support, that it was even a factory recall. He claimed to know nothing about this and even went so far as to say that it has never been an issue!

You can praise Heartland all you want. I had a private tour and asked plenty of questions. I was definitely not impressed and neither was my wife.

Why are you hanging around if you don't like the product? You have not had anything much to add other than your opinions and bad mouthing heartland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweenja1

Don, We ordered a 2016 Bighorn 3760 EL March 23rd and took possession May 21st. We are very happy with it other than a few very minor issues which Heartland is taking care of. I would suggest going with the coffered ceiling. We have not had a single person walk through our rig without commenting how nice it looks.

kkamshop

Don, congrats on your new Big Horn! If you will be getting it before the 1st of October, plan to come to the Heartland owners rally in Shipshewana. Details can be found under the events tab at the top of the page.