Fall trip to Washington, DC

JanAndBill

Planning a fall trip to DC, and it looks like the only campground close is Cherry Hill, in College Park, MD. Anyone have experience with this park? Are there any others close in? Any suggestions on routes into the area?

Wharton

Cherry Hill is a good park, has bus service from the park to the Metro. There are some county parks that are very nice. I think they are on the west side, close to the Metro also. Try RVparkreviews.com and see what is close by.

donr827

We stayed at Cherry Hill about three years ago and enjoyed our stay there. Like Sue said, there is bus service to the Metro which makes it easy to get down to the sights.
Don

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Jan & Bill I am not sure when your trip is planned but John and & are planning to go to Cherry Hill Park again the first week in November, Maybe we'll see you there.

JanAndBill

Our plan is to be there sometime around the middle to end of September. Our plan is to make a loop up through NC and VA with DC being the northern most point of the loop. It would be nice if there was some place on the the SW side of DC, but I couldn't really find one, that had the access to transportation like Cherry Hill. How bad is the traffic on the beltway during the middle of the day?

CeeCee

We stayed at Cherry Hill also. Nice campground & if you don't want to take their bus to the metro you can drive there. On the weekend there is plenty of parking for your truck. There would prob. be enough room during the week also. They also have a pet walking service if you are going to be gone all day.

TXTiger

I stayed at Cherry Hill just after the Gettsyburg Rally. It was a nice place. Don't know about the public transportation because I drove my truck or rode my Harley into town. Traffic on the belt way was not bad but traffic in DC was. I was told that to catch a bus from the camp ground you had to be at the front gate at 6:45 AM (not sure if that is true or not) so I just used my own vehicles. I also drove to the subway station about 5 min away and took a train into DC. Was very easy and once in town I took a bus tour. Met the bus right at the subway station in town. I took the BigBus tour where you can get on and off at will but they had 3 buses break down and instead of a bus every 15/30 min they were running about 1 1/2 hours apart. Made for a long day!

beasleyrl

How bad is the traffic on the beltway during the middle of the day?
Very bad to the south (I95/I395) right now. They are building "express lanes" on 95 South of the beltway. We live in Fredericksburg and I commute to DC on a daily basis. I actually have driven in daily to DC for about the last 8 years. I gave up earlier this year due to the unreliability and extended drive times of 95 and started back on the train.

Cherry Hill is definitely the most convenient for trips into DC as it is close to the Metro. The parks to the West are much further to a Metro access.

If you want to stay to the southwest of DC, there is a KOA in Fredericksburg. From Fredericksburg (or Manasas to the west), you can take commuter rail into DC and home (www.vre.org). Once into DC, several stations are connected to Metro. One thing to keep in mind with this would be that vre is designed for commuters. The trains start running North to DC about 5am and the last train is just before 8. Returning south, they start about 1 and the last train is about 6:45. If you want more info on this option, you can also PM me.

Along this same route just to the North of Fredericksburg (Woodbridge area), there is a state park CG. You could do the same thing (ie commuter rail) from there.

JanAndBill

Very bad to the south (I95/I395) right now. They are building "express lanes" on 95 South of the beltway. We live in Fredericksburg and I commute to DC on a daily basis. I actually have driven in daily to DC for about the last 8 years. I gave up earlier this year due to the unreliability and extended drive times of 95 and started back on the train.What would be the best route and time of day to get to Cherry HIll?

beasleyrl

What would be the best route and time of day to get to Cherry HIll?
I assume you are coming from the South (ie I95). If so, I would definitely avoid 5am-10am and 2pm-7pm. I'd also advise against trying to leave on Friday (heading South) or coming into DC on a Sunday afternoon/evening.

If you are coming from the South (ie Richmond/I295), you might consider 301 North to the 95/495 beltway instead of using 95 if you don't mind a non-interstate route. It will be more stop/go but MIGHT get you around the traffic a little better and certainly avoid the construction.

FYI - again, assuming you are coming I95 from South of Richmond, take the bypass around Richmond (I295). The time is about the same but 95 in Richmond is tight in my opinion and 295 is a really good alternative.

If you come up I81 to I66 towards DC (ie from the West), the times of day to avoid for weekdays would be about the same. However, when you get to I495, go North towards Rockville (ie 495 beltway "Inner Loop"). The construction in this area of the beltway is now complete in Virginia and it is really nice (stay out of the "Express Lanes" because you can't use them with more than 2 axles).

JanAndBill

We haven't finalized the direction (coming and going), but do know that the route will involve both I95 and I81. Thanks for the information. I will definately save this for the trip.

fdajnowicz

Are you any of the following: Active Military, National Guard, Reservists, Retired Military, 100% DAV. DoD Civilians? If you are look into Camp Meade RV Park at Fort George G. Meade, Laurel, MD. Was there for 8 days just after Mother's day 2013. Great Location.

Last edited:

kowAlski631

To avoid the beltway (& ugly traffic) come up 301. There are 2 campgrounds with transport to the Metro (DC subway). Duncan's Family Campground in Upper Marlboro, MD & Capital KOA in Millersville, MD.

301 does have traffic signals, but having lived in the area since the early 1970s (& having commuted daily to our offices) we advise any opportunity to avoid the DC Beltway no matter what time of day or night.

Both are good campgrounds, but would suggest reservations.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Cherry Hill is a good place to stay. They tell you at the office to not leave your awning out when you are not at the trailer.. Winds come up quickly and strong.. I lost my awning.. Was out to go to Mt. Vernon.

Don't ask for a pull thru site. Take a back in. They have more room. The pull thru we stayed in was so close, if the sites weren't staggered we could not have put the awning out.

Take the bus to the subway. Take the subway downtown. You can buy a ticket to ride the open air buses for 3 days. Get a map. You can ride to a certain area and get off, run around then, get back on and go to another place. You can jump back on the subway at different places also to go back to the campground. Then the next day get on the subway and go to the place you stopped on the bus and continue on your bus trip around DC.

Take a backpack, or something to take some water, food and a towel. It was very warm when I was there and the food/drinks are very expensive.

Bus.jpg

Of course one of the places I went was the tomb of the unknown soldier..

Tomb.jpg

It is a great place to go.. Plan plenty of time and it does get crowded..

BC