Favorite WA Campground

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
SJH - any concerns with pulling the big 5er across the N. Cascades Hwy? Riverbend looks great. We'd be coming from N. Kirkland, so Hwy 20 would be shorter than 2 through Wenatchee... but how many switchbacks are there? (we're still new to pulling a trailer).

Hello! We have done it numerous times with our Big Country. It weighs in just under 13,000 loaded and ready to camp. We generally do not carry fresh water. The tow is surprisingly easy. There are only the two hairpin turns at Washington Pass top and bottom. Going up is not the issue...coming back down is. Just remember as a general rule, I try to go down the same speed I go up or sometimes a little slower since the Duramax has no problems going up at the speed limits. The roads are good . The only uncomfortable time for me is in the curvy areas where there are no pull-outs to let traffic past. Most of the time it is not a problem. I wouldn't let the "unknowns" of traveling this route scare you away from this beautiful highway. Your Elk Ridge is a lot lighter than our Big Country and you have a F350 so it should be a piece of cake!

Best Wishes and feel free to PM any more questions you may have!

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
We just spent 2 nights there and one at Ocean City State Park. The rates at Pacific Beach are now $28.00 for an electrical site and $21 for standard.
It was a crazy trip, there was clam digging all the days we were there. We dug 5 limits of clams over the 3 days we stayed.
But we had to move everyday, because we didn't have reservations, that's why on the 3rd night we had to go to Ocean City State Park, and we were lucky enough to get the only full hook-up left.

I thought of another great little State Park, Maryhill on the Columbia river.

http://www.parks.wa.gov/parks/?selectedpark=Maryhill&subject=all

SJH

Sounds like "chowders on" at your campsites! That's a lot of clams. Hope you were there this past Saturday! Awesome weather for a change. I see we are back to rain for this week.

Maryhill looks very inviting. Right on the Columbia River. I thought the summer premium utility site price was a little steep for a state park ($35.00) a night but not reason enough to not visit the park. I also noticed that the reservation calendar has many openings!

Thanks again for the tips!

olyfire

For State parks we really enjoy Grayland Beach State Park. The sites are large with lots of separation between. We have camped here the last couple of years.
We stayed there last week for 4 days while clam digging. It's close enough to walk to the beach. Clams were showing good, got our limits easily each day.
Some of the sites of Yurts along with large area for your RV.

SJH

For State parks we really enjoy Grayland Beach State Park. The sites are large with lots of separation between. We have camped here the last couple of years. We stayed there last week for 4 days while clam digging. It's close enough to walk to the beach. Clams were showing good, got our limits easily each day. Some of the sites of Yurts along with large area for your RV.

Thanks for the tip on Grayland, never been there either! Two things come to mind as this thread evolves. 1) If people have actual Site Numbers they could recommend and perhaps a small critique of said site, it might be helpful when making reservations. And 2) I need a good recipe for clam chowder!

Best Wishes!

faheyluv

I haven't seen anyone mention Sun Lakes - Dry Falls State park. It has beautiful scenery and it's a short distance away from dry falls (very cool). We try to go every year in August, the weather is usually spectacular and the wind is not as bad as it is earlier in the year. The lake isn't huge but there are always plenty of jet ski's and boats enjoying the lake. It gets a bit crowded closer to the lake so we like staying in the upper (newer) rv sites. We have a 22' TT and the sites are plenty big for us. A couple miles down the road is Lenore caves which is also a comfortable hike and very neat to check out.

SJH

I haven't seen anyone mention Sun Lakes - Dry Falls State park. It has beautiful scenery and it's a short distance away from dry falls (very cool). We try to go every year in August, the weather is usually spectacular and the wind is not as bad as it is earlier in the year. The lake isn't huge but there are always plenty of jet ski's and boats enjoying the lake. It gets a bit crowded closer to the lake so we like staying in the upper (newer) rv sites. We have a 22' TT and the sites are plenty big for us. A couple miles down the road is Lenore caves which is also a comfortable hike and very neat to check out.

Hey...thanks for reviving this thread! I am always looking for new places here in WA State. Never heard of Sun Lakes until your post!

The Dry Falls State Park looks equally inviting!

Thanks for the tips!