FBI Looking AT Pilot/Flying J

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
As long as they are pumping good quality diesel at a reasonable price, it is not an issue. IMHO Trace

jnbhobe

Around here Pilot-Flying J are so way over priced I don't even try to buy there. I'm paying $3.94 and they want $ 4.24 for a cash sale.

truknutt

Committed Member
Around here Pilot-Flying J are so way over priced I don't even try to buy there. I'm paying $3.94 and they want $ 4.24 for a cash sale.

That's because it costs so much for them to drive to the end of the world!! You must be driving to Canada to get that $3.94 !!!!

jnbhobe

That's because it costs so much for them to drive to the end of the world!! You must be driving to Canada to get that $3.94 !!!![/QUOT

The worst part is it all comes from United Refining in Warren, Pa. 65 miles away. It must be them additives they sneak in the mix.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Our area just dropped to the $3.70's range. Hope it keeps coming down because our Governor just imposed the largest tax increase in Virginia history, which includes increasing fuel taxes.:mad:

Lou_and_Bette

Sorry if this is too political. but I usually don't buy my diesel at Flying J/Pilot even though I have the Good Sam card that gives me $0.08 off the cash price because I can get it much cheaper at other stations and since I have a total capacity of 88 gallons which allows me to drop the rig at the end of the day and just take the truck to these smaller stations which some of you might not be able to do. I wondered why their prices where so high and when discussing this fact with a friend on mine, who is a professional truck driver, he indicated he didn't care how much the fuel cost because the company paid for it. What did matter was the rewards the fuel companies, the two mentioned above and others like Love's, gave to HIM...free showers, points towards food and drink, etc. So, the sellers have no incentive to lower the price for fuel, only intice the drivers. If the big truck companies would protest the prices, things would change but they may be getting some kind of discount not available to smaller users. OK, down off the soap box

tmcran

Got diesel at Murphys (Walmart) yesterday $3.54 with discount Walmart Discover Card. Flying J to high.

Milton_and_PeggySue

We're paying $3.98 for diesel here. We have the Flying J/Pilot card but have never used it because the prices are too high even with the Good Sam discount.

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired
We're paying $3.98 for diesel here. We have the Flying J/Pilot card but have never used it because the prices are too high even with the Good Sam discount.

At Hess in Dutchess County NY we are paying 4.21 for diesel and it hasn't come down in months we would love some of these prices posted

danemayer

A few weeks ago I filled up at the Flying J off I-20 in Tyler. The Good Sam discounted price was about the same as the lowest prices I saw anywhere in Tyler. Also put in about 18 gallons (1/2 tank) west of Fort Worth along with 4 gallons of DEF. I think the diesel cost an extra 5 cents/gallon at that station, or about 90 cents extra but I saved $8 or so on the DEF.

EandJ

It's not political - it's the way business works these days. Same thing applies to office supplies and business travel.

If you ever see the price a big company pays for your airfare/hotel somewhere or the printer cartridge it buys at Staples.com, you would be flabbergasted. Years ago - I would think - I can call Continental myself and get same-day airfare for 1/2 the price than the "negotiated" rate or go down to Sam's Club and buy the same brand printer cartridge for 1/3 the price my company is getting. But what you don't see is the "volume deals" that your company's purchasing department has negotiated. It is based on the whole year's worth of business and there is a rebate based on total year's amount of business. Plus - the rebate does not count as a reduction in expense - i.e. - the cost of airfare or office supplies is not reduced. Instead, it is "other income". Which means the purchasing department has now become a profit center and it looks good on the year-end financials as total revenues has gone up.

I'm sure it works the same way with big corporate accounts at Flying J also - there is a rebate back at the corporate level based on total-year volume.

Sorry if this is too political. but I usually don't buy my diesel at Flying J/Pilot even though I have the Good Sam card that gives me $0.08 off the cash price because I can get it much cheaper at other stations and since I have a total capacity of 88 gallons which allows me to drop the rig at the end of the day and just take the truck to these smaller stations which some of you might not be able to do. I wondered why their prices where so high and when discussing this fact with a friend on mine, who is a professional truck driver, he indicated he didn't care how much the fuel cost because the company paid for it. What did matter was the rewards the fuel companies, the two mentioned above and others like Love's, gave to HIM...free showers, points towards food and drink, etc. So, the sellers have no incentive to lower the price for fuel, only intice the drivers. If the big truck companies would protest the prices, things would change but they may be getting some kind of discount not available to smaller users. OK, down off the soap box