Fifth Wheel Lube Plates....

Cjackg

I have used a Gooseneck for towing a camper but am new to Fifth Wheel hitches. I did some reading on this and other forums but still would like to get a better understanding about some aspects of hitch lube recommendations.

In another forum I saw mention that someone had solved a continuing noise problem by changing from a 10" lube plate to a 12" plate.
What do most people use with a full size 5er?

Is is advisable to use some type of grease on the lube plate or one of the expensive dry lubes ?

My CURT Q24 hitch Owners manual mentions "Up to (2) 3/16" thickness Lube Plates may be used". Is anyone using more than one and is there any reason to do that?

Grey Ghost

I have a 12" lube plate and put nothing else on it. I don't have those awful noise problems when turning or backing into a space. I only use one (1) pad at a time also, never heard of anyone using more. I do change my lube pad about every year however, don't know if your supposed too or not, I just do. We put on about 3 to 4 thousand miles per year, about?? I pull a 29' (really 34' from nose to toes) and it weights in at about 9400 lbs dry. I never carry much water, just enough for the wife to use the rest room a couple of time per trip, or more if necessary! To many Pepsi's in the morning and we are stopping all the time!! Oh, enough of that or I will get in trouble. Anyhow, interested to see more posts regarding this issue. Remember, be safe and have fun out there. :cool:

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
We have one 10 inch with no lubricant used with it..that's the point of the lube plate. But we do replace it periodically.
What is the "noise" you're referring too?

wino2

It all depends on your hitch, some require a 10 inch, and some 12 inch. Mine calls for a 12 inch and I change it about every 2 years. Never have heard any grinding or loud noises.

jnbhobe

I have a 12 inch, never changed it. I put a little grease on the pin and jaws and keep the rest of the hitch lubed well.