Fifth wheel vs Gooseneck - help!

Riski

I am taking delivery of a new Cyclone 4100 King on Friday and took my F350 DRW Diesel to get a fifth wheel hitch. When the tech got under my truck he told me that I already had a B&W Gooseneck installed and that instead of putting in a fifth wheel hitch that I should just get a gooseneck adapter for the Cyclone. I've tried to research and there seems to be multiple schools of thought. What should I do? Will the adpater void the warranty on the frame? Will a B&W Companion Fifth Wheel hitch work? Does it use the same hole as the ball for the gooseneck? Help, please.

jbeletti

Rich,

If it's a B&W Turnover Ball system on your truck, then I believe the Companion 5th Wheel Hitch will work. Check the ratings of the hitch to be sure it exceeds your RV gross and pin weight before you buy it.

The Reese Goosebox is the only Lippert approved Gooseneck adapter you should be looking at, if the Companion 5th Wheel Hitch won't work for you.

alex00

I think you will be much happier with the Companion versus a gooseneck adapter. I ran a Companion for many years, and think it is one of the best standard hitches on the market. From a safety standpoint, fifth wheel hitches don't require safety chains, but goosenecks do. That alone seals the deal for me.

GlenStMary

I've used both, the B & W turnover ball for my gooseneck cattle trailers (which weigh as much if not more than our Landmark when loaded with cattle) and the Companion when pulling our RV. In my experience, there is no difference in handling, ride, or mileage between either setup. The only difference I found was when using the Companion I had a bit of an easier time hooking up since the 5th wheel hitch was more forgiving if I was off the center line a bit. Getting the ball right under that gooseneck adapter was just a tad bit trickier.

scottyb

+1 on the Companion. I have had both the turnover ball and now the OEM Companion for the factory prep. If you choose to go with a gooseneck adapter, I believe there is only one choice that is approved and does not void your warranty, but somebody else may elaborate on that.