FINALLY. Got a Dually

scottyb

I got the B&W OEM Companion installed today and yesterday a friend helped me install the Ride Rite air bags. It took us 2-1/2 hours. I was glad to have his knowledge and tools because it was a little more difficult than I had anticipated. I thought I would hook it up to the Cyclone today and take a few shots. One thing I can tell you for sure, I absolutely love the tail gate step on these Fords. The B&W OEM Companion is a very clean and simple installation. I know I am going to like it. Curious what height settings everyone is using. I set mine in the middle and it seems higher than my old Companion.

Attachments

• IMG_2163.jpg
    IMG_2163.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_2164.jpg
    IMG_2164.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_2165.jpg
    IMG_2165.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 217

oscar

DRW provides for greater weight capability, and thus a greater margin when increasing the size of what you're pulling. Stability is MUCH greater, and that adds to safety. Also, there is 50% more rubber on the road for stopping. Safety again. And, one blowout only reduces the rubber back there by 25%, not leaving a whole corner without. More safety. Better ride, more comfort, less stressing less fatigue.....here it comes: safety.

Once you go DRW, you'll never go back.

And yes, a TPMS is a must. So while you get one of those, you might as well get one that has room for the trailer wheels and keep an eye on those. Not all, but many failures start with under inflation and resulting high heat. I don't have to explain the difference between a blowout and a timely exit into a truck stop. And if you DO get a blowout without warning you'l know about it. My trailer wheels are are a good 30 feet behind me. Especially the passenger side is not always in view. If I lose one out of three, the others will be taking the load, but only for so long.

Comfort and safety. It's good.

scottyb

Towed the Cyclone to Discount Tire today for the 1st time and I am very pleased. It was only a 25 mi r/t but it is a very good test, from my house in the Hill Country to town. I am amazed at how quiet it is. It didn't have to work near as hard as my previous truck.

BTW, I'm convinced that some trees grow in the winter around here. I had to trim my way out of the driveway today. It made me late for my appointment. I have said it before, but Discount Tire was there normal customer oriented self today. 4 guys, six jacks, all six tires rotated, balanced, and back on the trailer in 45 min. Back home in 1:15 for the r/t.

DW_Gray

Scotty, from looking at the pic, the hitch height looks good. The trailer appears level. The distance above the truck rails is good too. I learned the hard way not to have that distance too close especially when making corner turns and one wheel side drops in a dip. Looking forward to seeing you some day. And yep, Discount Tire is a great place. I've got swing by one on Monday to fix a slow leaking tire on my Cyclone.

scottyb

Thanks Dave. The hitch height seemed too high at first because I was used to seeing it in the Chevy. Chevy's bed rails are a couple inches taller than Ford's and the hitch is much more prominent in the Ford. I am running 50 psi in my Ride Rites for now. I measured the height before hitching and tried to match that after hitching. The ride seemed very smooth but the roads I was on were also smooth.

DW_Gray

One other thought. If you have the Trail Air Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box, try towing with the less air in the bladder than recommended by the arrow. I discovered the ride is much better (softer) with less air. (About 1 inch below the arrow on average while towing.)

We took deiivery a week ago of a 2013 Chevy crew Duramax DRW LTZ. We had our Trailsaver BD3 from our 09 SRW installed and will hook up our BH 2985 for the first time tomorrow as we head to a BH rally in Winchester Bay Oregon. We too are looking forward to all the bennies of a DRW. However I must admit, I'm still getting used to having those fender wells sticking out.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We took deiivery a week ago of a 2013 Chevy crew Duramax DRW LTZ. We had our Trailsaver BD3 from our 09 SRW installed and will hook up our BH 2985 for the first time tomorrow as we head to a BH rally in Winchester Bay Oregon. We too are looking forward to all the bennies of a DRW. However I must admit, I'm still getting used to having those fender wells sticking out.

I call the fenders "Hips". So as I always say, "Don't bump the hips". Congrats on the dually. Seriously though, just remember if the mirrors will clear so will the 'hips'.