First fulltime snowbirding experience, any advice?

SMDAT

Thank you all for the helpful information. We are looking into the San Antonio area. Would love to stay in the Apache Junction area, but looks like Arizona in general doesn't like people under 55 staying there : ) It was actually very eye opening how many places are 55+. Anybody know why? Do they get special tax breaks for this? Sorry seems unfair to segment only to that age group. I am 49. My wife and I don't travel with kids or pets...

Thanks again!
Sean

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thank you all for the helpful information. We are looking into the San Antonio area. Would love to stay in the Apache Junction area, but looks like Arizona in general doesn't like people under 55 staying there : ) It was actually very eye opening how many places are 55+. Anybody know why? Do they get special tax breaks for this? Sorry seems unfair to segment only to that age group. I am 49. My wife and I don't travel with kids or pets...

Thanks again!
Sean

Sean,
IMHO, It eliminates a different culture that is frequenting RV parks, due to the bad economy. That is large families living in a trailer, as cheap housing. We have been in some of these parks and many are nice people just trying to make their way. Not saying there is anything wrong with that. I am a live and let live guy.
There is just a lot of commotion and activity associated with that lifestyle, which many legitimate RV'ers do not find relaxing. Again, JMHO after talking to others.
Fyi, I am 63 and 55+ parks have been around as far back as I can remember. It is not a new concept.
Believe me, hang in there. You'll get there all too soon. :eek: In the mean time, there are many parks out there that are not "senior" parks.
Trace

Last edited:

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We stay in Spring TX for the winter because it is close to our kids and grandkids. We go to the Rio Grande Valley for a month or so in January and February and cross the border to replinish our medicines. The border crossing at Nuevo Progresso is very safe. We went across this morning to have some dental work done.

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired

Thanks again!
Sean

I found the same thing and am not pleased at all. We are 45 and 47...my husband will be retiring with almost 30 years of service in the Army and we will beginning full-timing on the road (we are full-timing stationary now). We plan to attend Spring Training in 2013 and about all I could find in RV parks in the area was 55+. We don't travel with kids or pets. We don't smoke, drink or party. I understand that some people could be 'problematic' but so can seniors... Seems a bit like age discrimination to me...

TandT

I found the same thing and am not pleased at all. We are 45 and 47...my husband will be retiring with almost 30 years of service in the Army and we will beginning full-timing on the road (we are full-timing stationary now). We plan to attend Spring Training in 2013 and about all I could find in RV parks in the area was 55+. We don't travel with kids or pets. We don't smoke, drink or party. I understand that some people could be 'problematic' but so can seniors... Seems a bit like age discrimination to me...

We have been fulltiming since the first of the year. We move often. DW and I agree that probably only about 25% of the parks we have stayed in are 55+ parks. I think you will find there are many parks out there that are not, so called senior parks. Trace

We were always under the impression that we couldn't stay at these parks, but that is not the case. Even though many parks say "55+" doesn't mean they will not let you in. Here in FL the law states that the 55+ communities may allow up to 20% to be under 55. The one rule that is constant is that children may visit for up to 2 weeks only.
As far as the not smoking, drinking, and partying goes, we were in a 55+ park in the Tampa area that did it all! Some seniors are still very active that way...

TandT

My new alias is , "Problematic Senior". :D (I think I like it!) LOL