First practice trip with the Bighorn

gpcvg

We finally had time and a place to take the Bighorn for our first practice trip. This was not only our first trip with the Bighorn but our first trip EVER in ANY kind of camper. We had only tent camped once in our 28 yrs of marriage. I had never hooked up the sewer or the water at a site. I take my hat off to Emerald Beach RV Park. The lady in the office was nice enough to make sure I got a pull through site and even then I had to back up to make sure it was on the pad correctly. Other campers and one of the maintenance guys came by to check on me while I was setting everything up. I am sure I will be a sight in the morning when we pack up and leave. The next thing for me to worry about is flushing the black tank.

Thanks to this message board for helping me open the tabs on the exhaust for the microwave. I searched and figured out how to get it done. Thanks everybody.

Attachments

• fifth wheel.jpg
    fifth wheel.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 114

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Nice looking rig!

You'll be an old pro at setting up and tearing down in no time!

I always do what I call 'The Once Over' where once I am all hooked up and ready to go I walk around the whole rig and truck to make sure everything is up, down, unhooked and unplugged.

mlpeloquin

One word of caution, don't leave at all while flushing the black water tank. Time goes by ever so slowly when you are standing there, but just walk away for what you think is two minuets and you may find the rinse water coming out of the toilet. Drain the black tank first. Look at your watch and run the water for five minuets. Then pull the handle. If you do dot have a clear section on your drain pipe, do this three times. Get a clear section so you can tell when it is flushed good.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your new "condo on wheels". If your schedule lets ya, come on down to the Southeast Region Rally April 21-24. It's at River Plantation in Sevierville TN. Everyone loves new rigs and would love to come look-see.

gpcvg

We would love to but we have something else scheduled that weekend. I want to get to a rally just to learn from all the other owners.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We would love to but we have something else scheduled that weekend. I want to get to a rally just to learn from all the other owners.

Well, if you find your way out west, be sure to come to one of our Colorado or any of the other Mountain Region Rallies!

We are a fun bunch and have a blast every time we get together . . . which is often!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Go to the Portals tab and look on the right side at all the rallys listed.. You can meet a lot of great people, see what others have done to their trailer and get help on the things to do to set up and when you get ready to leave, but go to rallys or just go to a near by campground on weekends. You will learn a lot.. Also this is one of the best places to get information.

BC

Bobby A

Just take your time and ask for help if you need it. Make yourself a check list of things to do when setting up and tearing down, for example, forgetting to put the rv antenna down. Good luck and stay safe.

wehavefun

We are headed Emerald Beach RV Park ourselves, after we make a weekend stop over in Nashville. Glad to hear the people are friendly there, they have good reviews. Good luck with your new adventure in camping, I'll bet it is easier to pack up your Bighorn than it was your tent!

Gtoli

Nice looking rig!

You'll be an old pro at setting up and tearing down in no time!

I always do what I call 'The Once Over' where once I am all hooked up and ready to go I walk around the whole rig and truck to make sure everything is up, down, unhooked and unplugged.

I do the same as well as have the wife double check. It helps avoid "accidents".

Gaffer

One word of caution, don't leave at all while flushing the black water tank. Time goes by ever so slowly when you are standing there, but just walk away for what you think is two minuets and you may find the rinse water coming out of the toilet. Drain the black tank first. Look at your watch and run the water for five minuets. Then pull the handle. If you do dot have a clear section on your drain pipe, do this three times. Get a clear section so you can tell when it is flushed good.
Ditto this. Never leave the UDC for any reason when you are black tank flushing.

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired

Welcome and congrats on the new rig. Since you can't make the regional rally in TN. Hook it up and come on down to the SC rally May 13-15. We have a great time at these rallys. The link for registration is below. You guys ought to come see us.

Safe travels!

WBG

WBGavin
We finally had time and a place to take the Bighorn for our first practice trip. This was not only our first trip with the Bighorn but our first trip EVER in ANY kind of camper. We had only tent camped once in our 28 yrs of marriage. I had never hooked up the sewer or the water at a site. I take my hat off to Emerald Beach RV Park. The lady in the office was nice enough to make sure I got a pull through site and even then I had to back up to make sure it was on the pad correctly. Other campers and one of the maintenance guys came by to check on me while I was setting everything up. I am sure I will be a sight in the morning when we pack up and leave. The next thing for me to worry about is flushing the black tank.

Thanks to this message board for helping me open the tabs on the exhaust for the microwave. I searched and figured out how to get it done. Thanks everybody.

Enjoy your new Rig. You will love it!!
View attachment RV Trip Checklist D.docxView attachment Out of Storage Checklist I.docxView attachment Make Camp Checklist J.docxView attachment Into Storage Checklist H.docxView attachment Into & Out of Winter Storage Checklist A.docxView attachment Dump Tank Checklist I.docxView attachment Break Camp Checklist M.docx
Here are our checklists. They are probably too detailed, but I think we have forgotten every single item at least once.

Sounds like you speak from experience.

Also, don't forget to check all your faucets before turning the water on to your RV. I usually have them open as I slowly turn the water on at the spigot to prevent a water hammer / pressure issue for the camper plumbing. Once, when I didn't check before turning the water on, a drain plug was installed. Luckily I caught it just as the sink started to overflow.