First trip?

mbf

We just picked up our 3010re and are excited and itching to get it to a campground nearby for a "shakedown cruise". Unfortunately, the weather doesn't look like it will cooperate and calls for rain off and on both days this weekend. I was just wondering if y'all think it would be a good idea to take it out anyway and check for leaks or if this should wait until we are more comfortable with the rig? I keep going back and forth....

(We have only camped before in tents and pop-ups. First time to pull a fifth wheel was on the way home from the dealership.... nuts huh?)

danemayer

Hi mbf,

Congratulations on the new rig and welcome to posting on the Heartland Owners Forum. You've probably already figured out there's a lot of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

Since Texas is still in the grips of a bad drought, this might be a good opportunity to see how things work in the rain. Also, you may end up spending more time inside the rig which will cause you to explore more and exercise all of the devices.

On the other hand, if you're trying to remember how something works, standing around in the rain can be a bit unpleasant. If it's windy, take care with the awning. We never leave ours extended at night or when we go out, in case the wind picks up.

jimtoo

HI mbf,

Welcome to the Heartland Family. I see your in Texas,,, so it's not going to rain much. :) I would hook it up and go. If it does rain, you can check for leaks, which are not very likely as we have very few problems with leaks. It will give you a chance to operate everything and also see you forgot to put in the new camper.

When your towing,, just be extra careful and give yourself plenty of room on the turns and stopping. When hooking up ,, double check everything.

Enjoy your new BigHorn and keep us posted.

Jim M

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Welcome to the forum! Are you considering the wend of the 25th? I doubt it'll rain much. I'd go!!

Welcome to the Heartland Family, we are east of DFW, holler if you need anything!

Erika

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbf

Thanks for the input guys. We decided to go and not worry about it. A little mud will just break it in.....:cool: I'll post how things went.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hay Guys... We are at Melissa just north of McKinney TX. Plan to leave on Feb 11 to Kerrville for the Sweetheart Rally.

Give me a call, PM or email and maybe we can meet for a lunch or coffee before we leave.

We are here every year Nov thru part of January.

For those that are intrested.. If you will use the HOP (Heartland Owners Position) under the Tools Tab and keep it up to date we can see if we are in the neighborhood.

Erika (traveltiger)
Your My Location does not show where you are staying..
BC

TXTiger

TXBobcat how do you turn on the My Location. I am at home for a few months but will be on the road in late April early May until late Aug early Sept 2013 (heading to the Gettysburg Rally and the Goshen Rally) and would love to be able to see where other Heartland Forum members/friends are located and let them know where I am.

TravelTiger

TXBobcat,

I think it's an issue with the Map. I tried re-selecting my location, but the little pin refuses to show up when the map redraws. :mad:

Our home is in Terrell, TX.

Erika

TXBobcat

Fulltime
TXBobcat how do you turn on the My Location. I am at home for a few months but will be on the road in late April early May until late Aug early Sept 2013 (heading to the Gettysburg Rally and the Goshen Rally) and would love to be able to see where other Heartland Forum members/friends are located and let them know where I am.

Actually it is pretty easy. Click on the Tools drop down at the top of the forum page. You should see HOP as one of your selections. Click on HOP. You should see a map come up. On the top of the screen you should see "Add/Edit your Entry" scroll down till you see the map again and you will see a red push pin. Don't worry about the push pin at this time. Zoom in and down to where you are located.. Or use the address field above the map. Once you are pretty close to your location you might click on satellite view and zoom in to your location. I can pin point the exact concrete site I am staying on by doing this. When you get in real close and click on the location the push pin should move to that location. If you click on the map while doing all this the push pin will move to each place you click. This is not a problem, it will be the correct place when you click on your site for the final time.

In the Location Title put where you are located. campground, site or what ever. In the Marker text pt the City/State or what ever. The address is used to help find your location to put the push pin. It is not needed once you are at your loation.

The URL of the image is the URL where you have a photo store that you want people to see when they click on your push pin.

When finished click on the button "Update Your Entry" and your done. When you move to a different location just follow the same procedure and relocate your push pin. You don't have to check the "Delete the marker information" box unless you want to completely remove your push pin from the map.

I like to keep my push pin up to date so I can find people around me and they can find me if they wish. Like TravelTiger. I was wanting to see where they are while I am in this area and maybe visit.

To TravelTiger. I would suggest you check the box on the map I mentioned above and see if you can close it out and go back in and set it up again. Sometimes a wrong character is entered and your pin might be in the middle of the ocean. I did this once by using the wrong Lat & Long.

Hope this helps.

BC

TXTiger

Thanks Bob. I just set the My Location for my home. Will have to remember to update when I am on the move.

TravelTiger

Bob, I can see a shadow of my pin on the map, in the middle of Terrell, but the pin doesn't show. I redid it a couple times, even cleared it and redid it. I didn't want to use my exact address, it is the world-wide web. :)

PM us and I'm sure we could get together!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyb

Thanks for the input guys. We decided to go and not worry about it. A little mud will just break it in.....:cool: I'll post how things went.

mbf, my 1st trip was scheduled directly in the path of hurricane Oscar. It was an event that I couldn't get out of and too late to make plane reservations. The eye of the storm (tropical depression by that time) passed within 50 miles of our location in Wheatland, MO. It was an excellent chance to check for leaks :eek:. We discovered yet another use for the garage. The main cabin door remained locked and the garage door was used as an entry and the garage turned into a mud room to take off shoes and rain gear.

mbf

Had a great weekend - not too many rookie mistakes. Looking forward to next time. Camper performed like a champ. Only a few minor glitches - not sure if it is the rig or user error...... Thanks for your comments and welcome.

danemayer

mbf,

Glad you had a good time and thanks for coming back to let us know. If you're not sure about anything, don't hesitate to ask.