FIXED: Another case of flat springs

captpfd

I have a 2008 Heartland Razor 3110DS and RV shop says my springs are flat and need to replaced. I currently have 6000lb Lippert axles with 4 leaf springs. Shop says for this toyhauler he recommends at least a 5 leaf. Any brands, specific place where you guys have purchased these upgraded springs. I'm in the Dallas, Tx. area. Thx. LR.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: Another case of flat springs

Not a toy hauler, but Emco is the brand we used, I believe made in Oklahoma. We used local big-rig truck shop to do ours. Went from 4 to 5 leaf, 3500lb, I think... We did ours in summer 2011. Still looking good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wdk450

If those are the original springs, there were a lot of them going flat in the 2007-2010 production era. 3 of mine were flat within the first 2 years. A lot of talk about possibly poor Chinese quality steel then. Some people had horror stories of these springs breaking while on the road.

captpfd

The EMCO springs are made in Tulsa, OK. not in China. I will plan to buy those. That junk from Lippert/China has got to go. So far everything on this trailer has turned out to be cheap. Sorry, I've just had bad luck so far with the Heartland brand. Much happier with previous trailers from other manufacturers. LR.

wdk450

My personal take on poor quality of items from China in that 2008 - 2010 era is that the Chinese government clamped down on corruption in industry, executed some of the miscreants, and you don't hear about these kind of problems with Chinese goods so much anymore.

GOTTOYS

I have a 2008 Heartland Razor 3110DS and RV shop says my springs are flat and need to replaced. I currently have 6000lb Lippert axles with 4 leaf springs. Shop says for this toyhauler he recommends at least a 5 leaf. Any brands, specific place where you guys have purchased these upgraded springs. I'm in the Dallas, Tx. area. Thx. LR.
Southwest Wheel is right in your area. They sell the 5 leaf spring made by Emco. I think they are rated at 3300# each. Very good prices also...Don

brianharrison

My personal take on poor quality of items from China in that 2008 - 2010 era is that the Chinese government clamped down on corruption in industry, executed some of the miscreants, and you don't hear about these kind of problems with Chinese goods so much anymore.

:D Made me laugh.

Brian

Gary521

Except maybe tires??!!

captpfd

Thanks for the input. I will call both dealers in Dallas for springs today. Be Safe. LR.

rickandjoyce

I believe there's more to these flat springs than poor Chinese quality steel. Our leaf spring broke on one axle as we were pulling out of our RV park yesterday. Luckily there is an RV repair shop right next door. They came back to our site - ordered the replacement springs. They arrived today but when they pulled the old ones off they looked at the part number and determined the factory installed springs were under capacity and therefore overloaded. The part number was 93103 which supports 4.4k per axle. That obviously equals 8.8K for the total. Our dry weight listed on the door is over 9700 lbs. We our now ordering the 93160 part number that is 6.6K per axle. Those are the ones that should have been installed originally. I'm going to contact Heartland as I believe they should take responsibility. We should have had springs factory installed that at least supported the dry weight of the rig. has anyone else experience this?
Joyce and Rick morones

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Well, your springs may not have been under sized for your trailer. Although they may be near the max.
If your springs support 4.4k per axle that translates to 8.8k on the axles.
Your pin will support a portion of the trailer weight. If the dry weight is listed at 9,700 pounds, then that means about 1,000 pounds on the pin.
You most likely have 2k or more on the pin.
So 2k + 8.8k = 10.8k.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

The part number was 93103 which supports 4.4k per axle. That obviously equals 8.8K for the total.
Hi Rick and Joyce,

If you have 2 axles, I think you may have 2 spring packs on each side. Is your 8.8K total the sum for all 4 spring packs?

rickandjoyce

Thanks to both folks for the reply. The total weight for all four is 8.8k. We did not take the pin weight into consideration. I guess when they are manufactured, the factory may include the weight on the pin. However, considering 9700 lbs. dry - 10.8k is still a stretch. We will feel much safer when we have the new springs on. The one broke and the rest were flattened. Our 5/w isn't even two years old and this is our first long trip. We have pulled it about 4000 miles total. The repair shop also told us that sharp turns can affect them. We have a short bed with a pull-rite hitch and have had to take several "sharp" turns when parking in tight RV parks. What are your thoughts on that? Thanks

jbeletti

... The repair shop also told us that sharp turns can affect them. We have a short bed with a pull-rite hitch and have had to take several "sharp" turns when parking in tight RV parks. What are your thoughts on that? Thanks

I've taken a LOT of sharp turns, including many U-Turns. I can see how the plies will want to come apart. So far - so good on mine (Dexter).

Happy to hear you got yourself all fixed up with springs you're happy with.

Jim

rickandjoyce

I just wanted to update everyone on our broken leaf springs situation. The Heartland folks pointed me in the direction of Lippert. I called Lippert and spoke with a very nice man named Shannon Hunter. The bottom line is he asked me to send pictures, with serial numbers and axle numbers to him. After many conversations, Shannon sent us an RMA number for us to ship the springs back to Lippert for testing. I spoke with Shannon today and the springs did not test to spec (not a surprise). After going over our repair bill and working with Shannon, they are sending us a check for $569.00 which covers a good majority of what we had to pay out. We have been out of warranty almost two years, but Lippert stepped up to the plate and did the right thing. My husband and I knew right away something was very wrong when we saw how these springs broke. I didn't know how it would turn out, but, Shannon and I were able to work together, through polite conversation to reach a mutually agreeable resolution.

Westwind

Lippert gets a lot of bad press, but I have read about more people on this forum getting help and compensation from them and most are out of warranty. So I don't think they are such a bad company. The ones that blow you off aren't companies that deserve more business.